We lost David Lindley today...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I've seen David Lindley many, many, many, many times and he was always a blast! Whether with El Rayo X, Jackson Browne or solo David gave an incredible performance and lots of laughs. I've never seen anyone as musical as Dave. The last time I saw Jackson Browne he commented on how during 2-week breaks in the tour, while others rested, David would jump in his car and do multi-state jaunts of solo club gigs. A solo David Lindley show was intimate, amazing and hilarious.

The first time I saw David was with El Rayo X on a college ski trip to Salt Lake City, as we pulled into the hotel I noticed "David Lindley and El Rayo X" on the marquee of the Zephyr Club just down the street (the Zephyr Club was a private club as they served alcohol in Utah). I couldn't get anyone else to go so I went alone ... what a fun and wild show. At 10PM the bartender stopped David in the middle of a song and some patrons helped a woman onto the bar and all the locals counted down from 10 - 1, on 1 the woman ripped open her blouse to show off her new implants - David and the band were stunned and bewildered as were the tourists, while the regulars were laughing their a$$es off. Only a David Lindley show in SLC could host such craziness.

This weekend I'll wear my 'finest polyester' and hippest shoes in tribute.

Last edited:
Looks like I missed the boat on David Lindley. Keller Williams had mentioned him from time to time and played a couple songs by him. I should have looked into David more.

Thanks for letting us know. RIP Mr Lindley

I have a David Lindley and Wally Ingram live in Europe CD I think I got from my uncle. It’s pretty awesome. Cat food Sandwiches - hysterical!

In addition to his slide on Running on Empty, David's lap steel playing on The Fuse (on The Pretender) is stellar.

David was also a fiddle player, from Wikipedia "By his late teens, he was acknowledged as an award-winning player, having won the Topanga Banjo•Fiddle Contest five times.". His fiddle playing on The Road and Cocaine from Running on Empty is really beautiful.

In addition to his slide on Running on Empty, David's lap steel playing on The Fuse (on The Pretender) is stellar.

David was also a fiddle player, from Wikipedia "By his late teens, he was acknowledged as an award-winning player, having won the Topanga Banjo•Fiddle Contest five times.". His fiddle playing on The Road and Cocaine from Running on Empty is really beautiful.

Yeah, I searched for and found a 1930's Rickenbacker lap steel like David's. Bought it and tried like heck to get a feel for it but it just didn't come naturally. Finally sold it. I putz around a little on a 50's Supro lap steel though. Didn't deserve a Ricky.

I can play slide pretty good on a guitar but the lap steel thing is different.

Some kind of wizard…right?

I saw him twice over the years.
Once (prob 1977) with Jackson Browne, and once (prob 81 or 82) with El Rayo X.
El Rayo X was unbelievable show....and they were opener for Joe Walsh.
GREAT show....

Last edited:
The night "Running on Empty" and "The Load OUt/Stay" were recorded @ Merriweather Post Pavilion...

David stepped up to the mic and gave his falsetto vocal solo that brought the house down...

CB7E96C4-839D-41A8-BE44-55BA69D751F6_1_105_c.jpeg
2F7E5A08-A979-4971-AF5F-0A37162980ED_1_105_c.jpeg

Back