Warm-up act…..yay or nay

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I went to a concert tonight to see JD Simo (who was really good btw). There was no mention of any warm-up act in any of the sales literature/advertisements. However, once we got in our seats a warm-up act came on, followed by a second one. It got me thinking; would I rather hear a warm-up act, or would I prefer to spend less time at the venue, and just have the artist I’m there to see get right to it. I suppose it makes a difference if both acts could be headliners, but I’m really referring to warm-ups you’ve never heard of.

More for your money or a waste of time? What say ye boys and girls (oops gender pronouns….:eek:)?

I like the warm up acts, have seen some killer bands I never heard of before the show. Creed, Michael Schenker Group, Judas Priest way back in the day, to name a few.

Good point. I saw a brand new band open at a tiny venue for Lynyrd Skynyrd once. They called themselves, “Kansas.” They we’re pretty damn good (understatement).

Paul, would your answer be different if they were a local cover band warm-up?

I've been to a lot of shows. It's definitely a mixed bag for me. Lately, we've seen a lot of really bad local bands opening. A few really good ones, but a ton that have been awful. Twice for Ace Frehley, we saw a band that had a female member who did nothing. When I say nothing, I mean nothing - no tambourine, no vocals, she just kind of stood in place and sort of swayed. We saw one band open for John 5 that was so bad I asked a cop who was working security if someone had called him to report a group of people impersonating musicians. He laughed and said, "I know who you mean." A couple months ago, we saw a band that made my buddy turn to me and say, "Do you ever wonder what their friends tell them when they hear this?" And a couple years ago, we saw a band that was just a disaster from the start. The singer's guitar didn't work, so they had to get one from his rack. Which had all the guitars strapped in, and they couldn't get one out. Then he walked over to one side of the stage, got tangled up w/the bass player's mic stand, and ultimately tipped it into the crowd.

But the bad openers let me work on my sarcasm. At one show, during a bad opener, I told my buddy, "If you're nice to me the rest of the show, I'll buy you one of this band's CDs on the way out. If you're not, I'm buying you two." At another, I asked my buddy if he'd checked out the merch table after the opener. He said no. I said, "You should. That band has T-shirts for sale w/their logo for $10. They also have plain shirts for $15."

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of good openers over the years as well, some of whom became favorites of mine. My first rock show? New England opening for Kiss. I've loved them ever since. I saw the aforementioned J.D. Simo open for Ace Frehley (after the previously mentioned opener opened two shows). He was way better, and I told him so. Hannah Wicklund has become a favorite since we saw her open for Marshall Tucker. Way back on the Diver Down tour, there was a blues/soul band that opened for Van Halen. I have no idea who they were, but they were great.

My favorite opener story, though, was going to see the Who. I saw in the paper that they had a opener, and I was just in a mood that day, I guess. I complained to my wife that I didn't want to deal with an opener and maybe I should tell my buddy we'd go late. She said, "Just suck it up and go. You know you like checking out the openers." Despite marrying me, she's pretty smart. We got there, and walking to our seats we saw they had a table set up for the opener to do a meet and greet after the show. I think I snickered or shook my head. We sat down, and there's the big Who stage, and way off on one side is a carpet about 15' square, with a small guitar amp, small drum kit, and a bass amp. I said to my buddy, "This could be interesting." But in a sarcastic way (see above). Then the band comes out in these old-style suits, to an old blues recording. They gathered around the drum set and all shook hands. I just kind of rolled my eyes and said OK. Then they started to play - by the end of the first verse of the first song, I said to my buddy, "There's not a chance in hell we're walking out of here without their CD." That was Vintage Trouble, and their one of our absolute favorite bands. We've seen them so much my wife said, "Do you think they wish their groupies weren't two old fat guys?"

If you never try the sauce, you'll never know if it is any good! I would of course prefer to know if there is an opener, and in most cases will decide to arrive late unless it is GA!! That said, I have enough music from enough artists to entertain me the rest of my life, so I am generally not on the hunt, but at the same time I am willing to give anybody willing to entertain, a chance to do just that (yet most do not entertain me in which case I volunteer to go get snacks/drinks)!!!

Good point. I saw a brand new band open at a tiny venue for Lynyrd Skynyrd once. They called themselves, “Kansas.” They we’re pretty damn good (understatement).

Paul, would your answer be different if they were a local cover band warm-up?

maybe, but a great cover band can be a great time too. I have seen a ton of concerts and I was always the guy there early and watched every minute of the whole show, opener and all. I never got up for beer or to pee if I could help it.

My best opener experience was when John 5 was playing a local club, and the scheduled opener was a no show. Somehow they got in touch with a local-enough band - Seven Spires- who absolutely killed it. Bought the CD after the show.
Saw White Lion open for Ace, early Queensryche and Accept open for KISS, early Bryan Adams open for Journey, The Hooters open for Loverboy...so yeah, I like seeing the openers!

I got to see Metallica open for Ozzy in ’86…

That tour is the only time I saw Metallica.

I generally enjoy seeing new talent, so do arrive in time to see openers.
I don’t like four hours in most venues though.

At one of our favorite venues, they sell early entry tix - it's the only way you can guarantee you'll get a seat. The only problem is that the early entry is usually 5, show time is usually 8, so it's usually six hours at the venue. Granted, we eat dinner there, but in the hour before the doors open for regular tix, the service is usually very fast, so we almost always have our food by 5:30 and end up with almost two hours before the show. My wife only goes to select shows there because the chairs aren't all that comfortable on her knees.

As mentioned above, it's a mixed bag. I'd say that I'd prefer to not have an opening act, but opening spots have introduced me to some bands I really like - Porcupine Tree springs immediately to mind, since my first introduction to them was opening for Yes in 2002. My first ever concert was Triumph, and the opener was Molly Hatchet - that set a pretty high bar for opening acts from the start. My second concert, that same month, was Rush, and the opener was The Jon Butcher Axis, which then lowered the bar. My wife and I were both happily surprised by Olivia Jean, opening for The Raconteurs. Saw Ghost as an opener for Avenged Sevenfold, they were awesome. Of course, the next act on that bill was Deftones, and they were a big wash of psychedelic drone that pulled us out of the mood until A7X hit the stage. Then there was The Black Crowes on the "Three Snakes" tour, the opener was Gov't Mule. That was amazing. Of course, the last time I saw Gov't Mule, the opener was The Magpie Salute, largely made up of former Crowes members, and that was amazing as well.

Of course, for each the good openers that I remember, there are a dozen that I've forgotten that bored or irritated me. However, I do always like to give the opening act a shot. Have tickets for the My Chemical Romance tour in August, there are 2 openers, neither of which I know, so we'll see.

My main thing with openers is, if you're going to have an opening act, give them the support they need in terms of sound. I saw Evanescence and Halestorm in January, and the opening act was Lilith Czar. The sound for Lilith was utter mud - the only way I knew there was a guitarist and vocalist was that I could see them. Just a mash of undefined bass and kick drum. My daughter and I decided to check them out on Spotify afterwards, and it turns out that we like their music, and would have actually enjoyed hearing them, rather than sitting there waiting for the sludge to end.

Like the others, I’ve seen some openers that went on to big things (Journey, AC/DC, Triumph, UFO, Scorpions) and some one-hit-wonders that were better than that odd status (I’d take it, as I never even had one!). Of course, I’ve also heard some stinkers, and some really good bands ruined by really bad mixes that got shockingly cured when the main act came on.

I like checking out new bands, so I’m on the “yes” side. But I’m well-past the Texas Jam style all dayers… just not in my tolerance level anymore!

I can go either way on this. If it's a small venue and opener is a local band, I may not be that into it. I like to give new bands a chance. If I don't like what I'm hearing after a couple of songs, I'll hang in the lobby, or wander around.

Jeez… it’s rough to think that the last band I saw was two years ago.

Anyway, it’s was f@ckin’ awesome! There was no opening act, it was just a DJ playing 70’s and 80’s funk. Just 50 mins of deep cuts from Kashif, Shalamar, and Midnight Star before the headliner came on, it was seriously so nice to not hear some busted band I didn’t pay to hear.

Music is becoming like, Sports for me: I love playing it myself, but unless it’s someone amazing I don’t get off on watching other peeps do it.

Pre-Covid, I saw Alter Bridge and two opening acts. The first one was some local band, and they were ok. But my thinking was, this show is too long, and why did the promoter want the added expense? The second act was Clint Lowery, who I was unfamiliar with, and he was awesome. I listen to him all of the time now.

So I guess I’m in the “have ONE really good warm-up act” camp. Another issue is that headliners might require a warm-up.

Another issue is that headliners might require a warm-up.
I saw Johnny Thunders on his April/May 1990 acoustic tour of the UK (at the Phoenix Club, Grantham). He needed to wake up, not warm up.

Openers - why not - I've seen some good bands that way. The less good ones (Ritzen Ratzen Rotzen anyone?) I just accepted, although I always felt a tinge of disapointment if RRR were on the bill.

As an aside, probably the best band I saw play was (I assume) just a local club band. Greyhounding around the US / Canada in '88 in a bar very close to the Greyhound bus staion in Portland Washington. Fat guitarist playing a (from memory white) flying vee - amazing. And they were only doing a sound check when we were in there. I've always wondered who they were / who the guitar player was.

Back