Want to see what the Stratocaster ALMOST looked like?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I know, it's not a PRS. But many of us own at least one. I'm sure Paul does.

The original design we're familiar with came out in 1954.

But the first two, from '53 or so, were based more on the look of a Tele.

I like it. I don't like the location of the knobs or switch but I like the look.

It's kind of where I was going when I was fiddling around with that broken pickguard.

Last edited:
My strumming hand hurts just looking at that switch.
Yep. Bad location. But I like the look and the way the chrome plate is shaped.

I agree. I like the separate plate for the pots and switch, but the location of them is a bit odd.

Big time. Trial and error. Guess that's why they only made two that looked like that.

But I have a bunch of pickguards.

I'm going to cut up a couple and come up with something with a separate plate that has the controls in the right place and looks right.

Just for grins.

Last edited:
Dumb question, Why does the control plate have to be on top of the pick guard? Can't the pick guard be two piece. with the controls where they are on the sample model?

Dumb question, Why does the control plate have to be on top of the pick guard? Can't the pick guard be two piece. with the controls where they are on the sample model?
When Fender came out with the Jazz bass, they used the plastic pick guard/metal control plate combination that's very similar to that Strat prototype, and it consists of two pieces. The control plate isn't on top of the pick guard and never was, at least in production. Same with the Fender Jaguar.

This was clearly an idea Leo Fender dug.

I suspect the reason it was metal over plastic on that prototype Strat is for a very simple reason - it was a prototype. No doubt it would have been different if it had gone into production.

Back