Vela comfort/fit - coming from strats

Dave_W

I've been playing strats almost exclusively for the last 10+ years. I love the arm contour and the way the guitar hugs my body.

I've been itching for a different pickup configuration and a shorter scale to add to the arsenal and am drawn to the light weight of the Vela. Add a toploader bridge and I'm intrigued.

Does the beveled top edge act similarly to a contour on a strat? Overall, for those that have both, or a silver sky, how is the overall playing comfort and position?

Thanks!

I've been playing strats almost exclusively for the last 10+ years. I love the arm contour and the way the guitar hugs my body.

I've been itching for a different pickup configuration and a shorter scale to add to the arsenal and am drawn to the light weight of the Vela. Add a toploader bridge and I'm intrigued.

Does the beveled top edge act similarly to a contour on a strat? Overall, for those that have both, or a silver sky, how is the overall playing comfort and position?

Thanks!

I find the Vela amazingly comfortable. It's incredibly well balanced on a strap, and I'd definitely say the bevel is as effective as the contour on a strat.

I find the Vela amazingly comfortable. It's incredibly well balanced on a strap, and I'd definitely say the bevel is as effective as the contour on a strat.
Thanks. It isn't one I can find locally so it's a bit of a crapshoot :)

Is the fingerboard rolled at all?

I'm taking the plunge as well. Pre-ordered a Satin finish semi-hollow in antique white as I always wanted an antique white guitar and thought it would look great with the nitro finish that wears with time. So pumped. Can't wait for it to arrive. Have a feeling it will be a few months tho :(

I pre-ordered a satin solidbody last week from Sweetwater and they initially said a couple months. Yesterday my sales guy emailed me that its looking more like Christmas before it gets here. :(

Yeah. I ended up canceling my pre-order as well. I look forward to them catching up with the Covid backups. Hopefully by next years things are much improved.

The Vela is about the most ergonomic / comfortable electric gittar available. They are very light as well... be warned if you prefer heavy guitars.
The closest other guitars (in ergonomic comfort) I've experienced are the Parker Dragonfly / Maxxfly body ( great headstock too, but hated the necks...), and the EBMM Majesty, which is just awesome all the way around!

I would think it would be closer to a Jazzmaster which are super comfortable to play. I’m wanting to add a Vela to my collection as well. I love the look and clips sound great.

I am a REAL Vela fan .The comments above echoed, My Re-claimed Wood is one of the most awesome guitars I've played for that style guitar. Did I say TONE, through the roof!!!!!! Take the leap of faith if you can locate one!!

Absolutely - believe the hype, the Vela really is THAT good :D :D :D

The Vela is the guitar equivalent of going vegan - you just have to let everyone know how awesome it is!!! (The Vela, I'm not vegan).

I pre-ordered a satin solidbody last week from Sweetwater and they initially said a couple months. Yesterday my sales guy emailed me that its looking more like Christmas before it gets here. :(

Yeah. I ended up canceling my pre-order as well. I look forward to them catching up with the Covid backups. Hopefully by next years things are much improved.

Sweetwater is a great outlet, and is often a first-stop-shopping place for many things for me. My rep always does what he can to take care of me, and I’ve done a lot of business with them to build that mutually beneficial relationship. But, there are times when they run out of things because of the volume of customers they have. Don’t be afraid to go elsewhere when that happens. There are lots of great PRS shops around the country that might have what you’re looking for, and who will also give you great service.

As an example, when Sweetwater was unable to get a 594 Hollowbody II in a finish I wanted without a 3-6 month wait, I ended up finding a perfect one at Ken Stanton Music in Atlanta. I’d never done business with them before, but they treated me extremely well and delivered an awesome guitar that I’ve been very happy with, while actually beating the pricing I’d been quoted!

The smaller scale dealers are a solid option on any PRS purchase.

As RickP Mentioned, there are lots of good dealers out there. There are 91 brand new Velas currently available on Reverb from dealers.

Vela satin semi-hollow will probably be my next PRS. They're so weird and different, and I love satin finishes and semi-hollow bodies. The bridge gives off Telecaster feelings.

I will buy my Vela once I have a disposable $10K burning a hole in my pocket:
https://ish.guitars/collections/pau...d-smith-prs-private-stock-vela-goldstorm-glow
DSC03134-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Well, maybe before that because I don't think I have the power to save up that much money before I buy another guitar!!! If anyone wants to get that temptation out of my world, I will not hate you!!!

I will definitely have a Vela in the future! In the top 3 models I still need (McCarty 594, Santana, Vela)!!! What comes first will depend on deals and look of what exposes itself to my world!

Just spent a while playing my Semi-Hollow Vela, Simmons - dang that guitar can sing....whilst being ergonomic and comfy as heck.
I have been meaning to ask you Aahzz, considering you seem to be a Vela enthusiast, how much difference do you hear in the Semi-Hollow vs Hard Body? Is the tone dramatically different? If not, i would opt for the semi-hollow for the lower weight, but if the tone is a whole new game, I would need to listen more before I made a decision. There is a more likely chance of a snowball surviving in hell than me getting to try both in person before I buy, so reaching out to you for your thoughts on this! Thanks for any light you can shed!

Back