V12 Finish Repair

Stephan Perets

Funkybuddha
Hello everyone, new poster here so I can't post links to the pics yet, but...

I recently purchased a 2013 408 from an authorized dealer. I let it sit and acclimate before touching it, and after doing so, I did my normal clean and polish which I do on any guitar that comes into my loving home. A quick wipe with a wet then dry cloth, then a microfiber cloth, then I tape off the fretboard and polish the frets with 8000 grit. The board was clean and seemed like it was recently oiled so I didn't need to do anything on that front. Upon receiving the guitar I did notice some finish bubbling on the side of the RW board, but didn't think anything of it, hey it's 5 years old, no big deal... But after I polished the frets and started to remove the blue painter's tape, large flakes of the V12 finish were coming off all along the sides of the fretboard, and even so far as into the neck. No matter how gingerly I pulled the tape, the urethane top coat was still coming up in some spots, mainly from 5th to 15th fret. Now, this was mostly just the urethane top coat coming off, BUT in some areas even the polyester base coat was coming up! I hadn't had this happen before, much less on a $4k guitar. I've read about PTC and their willingness to help so I reached out to them. Being a used instrument, the best they could offer was to extend the warranty deductible for a refinish of $750. I'm not really in a place to drop that on a refinish for a guitar I JUST bought, so I wanted to see if anyone on the PRS forums has had success in DIY repair or refinish?

I know I'll get the "it's relic'd now, just play it" folks but this is my first set neck PRS that I picked out specifically for the top (besides the pickup config) and seeing giant chunks of urethane flake off like a bad sunburn just from some blue painter's tape has killed all of the magic of getting this beautiful instrument for me so I want to restore it to it's former glory if possible. I don't mean to bash PRS or PTC by this post, I'm mainly trying to get some info on DIY repair or even info on someone who can do the work, but this has made me extremely apprehensive about buying another post 2012 PRS, thought I hear they discontinued the V12 finish?. Thanks!

Last edited:
A good luther should have no problem refinishing the neck , mine was not damaged like yours but ring damage and chipping at the fretboard edges.
Below are the before pics , it still looks the same but its smooth ( just cleared over the whole neck )
I don't have any after pics at the moment.
I would talk to the seller ( dealer ) they may be able to get you more help as it was starting to happen before you put tape on it.
PTC fixed my CU22 when I saw it bubbling and sent them pictures.

IMG_3664 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dYMcQc]IMG_3663
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/[/url]

A good luther should have no problem refinishing the neck , mine was not damaged like yours but ring damage and chipping at the fretboard edges.
Below are the before pics , it still looks the same but its smooth ( just cleared over the whole neck )
I don't have any after pics at the moment.
I would talk to the seller ( dealer ) they may be able to get you more help as it was starting to happen before you put tape on it.
PTC fixed my CU22 when I saw it bubbling and sent them pictures.

IMG_3664 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_3663 by

Thanks for the reply! I'm in contact with the dealer to see what they can do. Luckily I sent them a few photos of the clear coming up prior to my tinkering so they were aware of the problem beforehand. I'm going to try and see if they can have PTC do the repair for them and I'll do the shipping exchange and pay whatever PTC charges the dealer.

Back