Useless Search Function

Ruffone

Is it just me or has the search function become useless for everyone? No matter what browser I use, if you enter text in the search function it omits everything with less than 4 digits from the search. It gives you a message saying the words are too common? Well considering there are a lot of models with only three digits in them, omitting these digits when you are looking for a specific thing in a specific model is pointless. It gives you more useless pages to look at than it would with the added digits. I even entered “3-piece” and it omitted the “3” saying it is too common??

Google's site search is your friend.

tci site:forums.prsguitars.com

Just put that in the search bar and all the links are to this forum. Whatever you put in front is what it searches.

Exactly what I do.

It‘s got nothing to do with a person’s web-browser. It’s to keep from stressing the server that hosts the website. Three characters or less can generate a lot of hits. That ties up server resources while it scours the database of posts.

Is it just me or has the search function become useless for everyone? No matter what browser I use, if you enter text in the search function it omits everything with less than 4 digits from the search. It gives you a message saying the words are too common? Well considering there are a lot of models with only three digits in them, omitting these digits when you are looking for a specific thing in a specific model is pointless. It gives you more useless pages to look at than it would with the added digits. I even entered “3-piece” and it omitted the “3” saying it is too common??
I think I understand the point you’re making. For instance, if you want to search this site specifically for posts about the NF3, a PRS guitar name, you’ll get the response:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.

Yes, you can search it on a search engine and get a lot of results from nitrogen triflouride on, but not the wealth of specific knowledge you will get if you could search that phrase alone on this forum. A more specific search on Google will narrow the info, and I agree with the responses, but I’ve also wished you could search NF3, DC3, 513, etc on this specific forum so that I can glean the brilliance of the members on such three letter/number phrases. Especially because PRS is so fond of the short naming!

I think I understand the point you’re making. For instance, if you want to search this site specifically for posts about the NF3, a PRS guitar name, you’ll get the response:

The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.

Yes, you can search it on a search engine and get a lot of results from nitrogen triflouride on, but not the wealth of specific knowledge you will get if you could search that phrase alone on this forum. A more specific search on Google will narrow the info, and I agree with the responses, but I’ve also wished you could search NF3, DC3, 513, etc on this specific forum so that I can glean the brilliance of the members on such three letter/number phrases. Especially because PRS is so fond of the short naming!

That‘s where the site:forums.prsguitars.com part of the Google search comes in. It restricts results to this forum. You can achieve about the same thing with just come extra search terms

nf3 forum prs

Give it a try.

That‘s where the site:forums.prsguitars.com part of the Google search comes in. It restricts results to this forum. You can achieve about the same thing with just come extra search terms

nf3 forum prs

Give it a try.
Thanks, Mike. You’re right! I learned something new today. I entered it as

site:forums.prsguitars.com "nf3"

and it came up with a bunch of posts. Awesome!

In light of my being better educated, I strongly suggest the error message on the site be changed to suggest a search engine helper suggestion like:

The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common. Try a search engine using site:forums.prsguitars.com “place your three-letter phrase here”

Thanks again for the education, guys. This is awesome. Especially if I remember it the next time I’m looking!

3 = 1
Three = 5
Math class is now over.

Back