USED S2 MODELS

My objection goes out on behalf of the customer who doesn't get a warranty - if that is, in fact, what's happening.

And there are a lot of great deals to be had because of it. Not that I need another, but a few that I've watched on eBay went for criminally low prices. Used S2 might now beat out used SE as my pick for biggest bang for the buck.

Looks like Garrett and I are drinking from the same pitcher of Kool-Aid again. My one S2 - CU22SH dipped in Egyptian Gold, blingy enough to make Antonio Fargas look twice - was found used on ebay. One pinhead sized paint chip and the price was too low to pass. Used S2s under a grand are a great deal, and I'm seeing them go for hundreds less than that.

Back to what the OP was saying. Helmi, I believe there are three reasonable things likely taking place here.

1) The S2 purchaser decided sooner than later to upgrade to the core line as has been previously stated above.
2) The purchaser over extended themselves with the purchase and had to sell. A very common happening with guitars at this price point, regardless of brand.
3) The purchaser expected the moon and the stars and private stock treatment for the price point and was disappointed. No brand is ever going to make everyone happy, it just cant be done.

Now I will add this. The price point of an S2 is a very popular one. Factoring in #3 above and the likelyhood of buying online, you have an issue of $$$ not the guitar. Buying online is about the money saved, never the guitar. End of story, regardless of the details! I hear of more guitars bought online being returned than those purchased for ever so slightly more from mom and pop shops. Relationships with the store owner, are important. Never more important, to me anyway, when buying a PRS from them. Mom and Pop shops complete the experience and are worth the tidbit more in cost. That said, buying a PRS is an experience in and of itself. Buying online and thinking about the money is about self! Not the instrument or what was put into it. It was about the price. Those type of online purchases miss out on the PRS experience. Alot of selves' cant be made happy because thy are chasing the dollar and have to sell a great instrument in their pursusit of getting something for nothing and being cheap and pursuing being happy with getting something for nothing. I dont know if they will ever value the PRS experience because it was not cheap. The S2 guitar is a steal at the price point for which it is offered. Unfortunately it appeals to alot of cheapskates who have unrealistic private stock expectations from a working mans (read musician) guitar. They have to sell because PRS did not go broke enough to try and please them. Dont buy online. Feel the experience and play PRS in a store who has invested their money and confidence in a product that was made with the investment of sacrificial dedication that will always deliver. That experience is not felt on line, it is only free shipping! Hopefully though, #1 above is being successful. I bet it is!

PS, I guess I just went on a rant. Sorry! If this makes me a PRS Snob, I guess I am guilty.

My counterpoint is that the consistency among PRS guitars takes away most of the anxiety of buying online. It expands your inventory options greatly. If your local pusher doesn't have that something special, you may be able to find it online somewhere. Even having your local shop order something for you is a gamble, since you don't know how the grain or the weight is going to come out.

If it's reason #3, though, I suppose going into a store could have deterred a purchase.

And perhaps a reason #4 is good ol' buyer's remorse. "Ooh, an affordable, American-made PRS! Looks cool! I want it! [swipes card]" Two months later: "Bah, the honeymoon is over and I never play that thing, I shouldn't have bought it. Dang it. At least I can get some money back if I sell it on [insert place to sell]."

My objection goes out on behalf of the customer who doesn't get a warranty - if that is, in fact, what's happening.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't understand how this hurts the customer. I would be far more concerned if a dealer was selling a used guitar as new. Going the other way gives me an opportunity to buy aged inventory at a reduced cost. That's a win for me even without the warranty. The way I see it, the only party with a negative is the dealer who is selling on a much lower margin.

Because the warranty is between the consumer and the company and not the dealer. The dealer has no legal rite to modify the warranty of a product. They are just the reseller of the product.

I started out looking into buying an S2, and wound up saving for a PS instead. How did that happen?! ;)

Had a similar instance. Started out asking the wife if I could buy a new Tremonti SE Custom. Then an S2 Single caught my eye (blue crab smokeburst, beautiful). Then after much deliberation, I ended up with this:

btRRT18h.jpg

Back