Upgrades to S2

Bufford T

Utter ****
Hi Guys

I've got an S2 singlecut inbound to me... I'm a sucker for Seafoam Green!

Can the S2 HW be easily upgraded to that of Core range?... I'm thinking of the following:

- Phase 3 Tuners
- Stop tail upgrade
- Metal Pickups
- Nut (possibly)
- Pots / jack etc...

Guitar has not arrived yet, so not been able to do any basic visual checks or play it for long enough to to decide whether I want to do all of the above, I know the S2 quality is excellent so such upgrades may not be necessary.

Thanks in advance,

James.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the tuners, nut or stoptail. The S2 Phase IIs are fine, and the IIIs won't offer anything except aesthetics and maybe ratio (both brass posts so yeah, should sound the same). They wouldn't be a drop in fit either. The nut and stoptail are already Core... Having said that I'll be trying a MannMade stoptail on my S2 Mira, just because I can...

Pickups and electronics, yup same as upgrading them in any other guitar, easy if you are handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron :)

James, for what it's worth, I have a S2 Starla. It is every bit as good as my core guitars. The only thing for me, is the adjustment, to get used to the Bigsby. Otherwise, it is a fantastic tone machine, Starla pickups, nut, stoptail, phase II locking tuners, split coil and the Starla pickups sound pretty darn good. The money you potentially would spend on the upgrades, you could put toward another guitar with the specs you are looking for. Well at least a down payment for one. What ever you decide to do, i'm confident, PTC can make your S2 exactly to your specs. Good Luck !!

James, for what it's worth, I have a S2 Starla. It is every bit as good as my core guitars. The only thing for me, is the adjustment, to get used to the Bigsby. Otherwise, it is a fantastic tone machine, Starla pickups, nut, stoptail, phase II locking tuners, split coil and the Starla pickups sound pretty darn good. The money you potentially would spend on the upgrades, you could put toward another guitar with the specs you are looking for. Well at least a down payment for one. What ever you decide to do, i'm confident, PTC can make your S2 exactly to your specs. Good Luck !!

Think you're probably right. Will get comfortable with the new axe and see where we go from there!... Thanks for the reply!

Back