Update to my NAD H - now with EL-34s

BrianC

more toys than talent
My amp guy in Chicago is the best - he got me in right away and fixed all of the issues my new to me H had.

He also switched it from 6L6's to EL-34's for me as I lead towards a Marshall type tone.

Let me just say this H with EL -34's and the presence mod really nails the tone I prefer. It can go from very nice cleans to the crunch we have all loved on our favorite bands from the past few decades to a singing violin lead!

I also really like how compact and portable it is compared to my 100 watt Marshall - it seems sooo much easier to carry.

It is also VERY LOUD - seems WAY louder than my 100 watt amp and is just 50 watts!

I need to talk to you.... LOL

I really like my (also brand new to me) H, but I'm wanting a more Marshall like gain channel. I like the gain channel, but it's not blowing me away. It's really good, just not the sound I love, which sounds like the tones you love.

I really like my (also brand new to me) H, but I'm wanting a more Marshall like gain channel. I like the gain channel, but it's not blowing me away. It's really good, just not the sound I love, which sounds like the tones you love.

You could always push the front end with an OD or distortion pedal. If not go with the EL34 change. I like the 6L6's and I have the EL34's in the SE50 if I want full on Marshall tone. Those SE50's are very good at doing Marshall.

Yeah, I have some good pedals, but am trying to get to amp channels that sound the way I want, then using pedals only for solos (and of course mod effects, delay, etc.). If I can push this gain channel more to a good classic 80s Marshall tone, I'd be ecstatic. I'm also wondering how much the EL34s alone would change it. I think it wouldn't take what's there now and turn it into full blown modded JCM 800, and that probably a circuit mod or two would be needed as well.

Sounds like a great mod! You have to love a customized amp done to your own tastes.

I've been lucky with the single channel PRS amps, though I knew what they'd sound like before they arrived, so there was an element of getting what I'd heard.

Still, until you get an amp in your own setting, you rarely know 100%, and it's great to be able to have a tech who will work with you like that.

Yeah, before this they were not Marshally enough for me. I am very happy now. It's not exact but it's close - better in some ways!!

I'm also wondering how much the EL34s alone would change it. I think it wouldn't take what's there now and turn it into full blown modded JCM 800, and that probably a circuit mod or two would be needed as well.

EL34s will change the tone of the amp. The amp will have significantly more upper midrange bite and less bottom end when cranked up. KT77s are as nice as well. They have the clarity a 6L6 with a lot of the bite of an EL34.

Back