UPDATE: S2 Studio no longer disappoints!!

markd21

I got a sweet looking S2 Studio last week. It played comfortably (as a PRS should) but sounded worse than anything I ever owned - and that included weirdo Japanese guitars from the 60s.

Picture of the beauty (since we LOVE pictures) on my console -"studio" get it, lol?

Well, today I pulled it apart and looked at the wiring. Going through this thread https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/thoughts-on-sound-of-s2-studio.36184/ I found that mine was wired "wrong". I fixed the couple of wires, reassembled, and tried it out.

It sounds "right". There is clarity across the switch positions, and the tones are 99% usable. I am not fond of the neck-middle position. So, once I figure out what to change I am gonna make that middle pickup only - giving me:

bridge
bridge/middle
bridge/neck
middle
neck

All is good in my guitar world now. Truthfully, I am surprised that PRS would ship these guitars without checking that they sound right. I know it's not that big of a deal to crack it open and move a wire, but....

I got a sweet looking S2 Studio last week. It played comfortably (as a PRS should) but sounded worse than anything I ever owned - and that included weirdo Japanese guitars from the 60s.

Picture of the beauty (since we LOVE pictures) on my console -"studio" get it, lol?

Well, today I pulled it apart and looked at the wiring. Going through this thread https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/thoughts-on-sound-of-s2-studio.36184/ I found that mine was wired "wrong". I fixed the couple of wires, reassembled, and tried it out.

It sounds "right". There is clarity across the switch positions, and the tones are 99% usable. I am not fond of the neck-middle position. So, once I figure out what to change I am gonna make that middle pickup only - giving me:

bridge
bridge/middle
bridge/neck
middle
neck

All is good in my guitar world now. Truthfully, I am surprised that PRS would ship these guitars without checking that they sound right. I know it's not that big of a deal to crack it open and move a wire, but....

Here's one I did for someone on TDPRI years ago. You only need two poles on the switch.

K6vp2Jo.jpg

The Studio has one of those switches. When I get it apart again (probably not for a couple of days) I'll snap/post a pic of what things look like. It's kind of chaotic in there, lol. It'll probably take a couple angles for you to be able to see it all.

Thanks again!

Isn’t the pup on the left the bridge humbucker? Position 1 should be bridge, not neck.

No, in this particular case it was someone with a Nashville Tele with a humbucker in the neck position. I just numbered the lugs in descending order for some reason. I think I was still getting used to wiring these things back when I did that diagram. Anyway, it's like looking at the switch from the bottom side, so lever pointing away from the neck is bridge pickup, like normal.

Thx for the explanation garrett.

My CDO is kicking in, and I really need to fix the diagram. o_O lol

In general, or just the way this guitar and the pickups sound?

In general, but with this guitar in particular it's a little "worse". The D-Type pickup sounds great - and I am a HUGE fan of "real" Dearmond/Gretsch Dynasonics - but to my ears, with the two so close together the overall tone seemed more "choked". Certainly not technical terms, but that's the easiest way for me to describe it.

In case anyone's looking for the schematics

I'm also having a similar problem. Just picked up an s2 studio used from GC. pickups sound almost muffled, especially in neck/middle. I'm going to replace the switch and pots and after popping the hood, wires going everywhere.. I know its not supposed to sound like a strat, but the D type pups dont sound snappy and clear enough to cut through a mix. anyone with an s2 studio have any mods you've done on pots, caps, resistors, treble bleed upgrades?

WuLW5ERFIwHN

Please keep us updated, I'm interested in isolating the middle pickup too, as others have mentioned the neck/middle lacks character and is a bit boring!

Please keep us updated, I'm interested in isolating the middle pickup too, as others have mentioned the neck/middle lacks character and is a bit boring!

+1. I'm really interested in the outcome of your work. I could apply it to my own S2.

And as others mentioned, this picture you made is absolutely stunning.

Back