Two Channel Custom 50 vs 2 Channel H

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

I'm wondering who has played or heard both of these and can tell me how they compare. Did they basically take the H and add features, or have there been other changes such as the voicing or otherwise? Now that I've found the speaker type I like (for another thread) I am LOVING my 2 channel H, but thinking the additional features the Custom has would make it even better. So I"m trying to figure it if it is exactly what I have, plus the added features which will offer more range and tunability (and solo boosts!) or has the amp been revoiced to the point I'd probably want to try one before deciding?

Last edited by a moderator:
The mid pull feature on the Custom is worth it.

Thanks! There is one for a great price locally and I thought if it's just like what I have, plus, then it's a no brainer. New I need to sell something quick to get it. Then then I'll sell the H.

The H is a GREAT amp. I wonder how many people tried these only with one type speaker and maybe didn't fall in love with them, that would have if they found the speaker match they would have preferred. I'll hate selling it now that I've tried other speakers, but if the Custom is just like it, the added features are too good to pass up on for a minor upcharge in cost I'd be paying.

Thanks! There is one for a great price locally and I thought if it's just like what I have, plus, then it's a no brainer. New I need to sell something quick to get it. Then then I'll sell the H.

The H is a GREAT amp. I wonder how many people tried these only with one type speaker and maybe didn't fall in love with them, that would have if they found the speaker match they would have preferred. I'll hate selling it now that I've tried other speakers, but if the Custom is just like it, the added features are too good to pass up on for a minor upcharge in cost I'd be paying.

It's always kinda fun to pull that new amp trigger, isn't it?

I'm sure that both amps are fantastic, but I'd have a hard time resisting the added features, too.

Deal made. Going to pick up the 2 Channel Custom this afternoon. I'll compare them head to head for a few days.

Congrats :) can't wait to here what you think.
My H just got back from PTC ( Best service ever )
Hoping time goes by faster

What did you have done to your H?

I contacted them about Presence/Resonance mods when I got mine, and they said they were so busy they weren't taking mods currently and to ask again in 6 weeks. :D

I got the custom 50 and got to briefly try it out last night. The reverb doesn't work, so tonight I'm going to check tubes, etc.

I did get to check out the features. The channel boosts work great. In the video, Paul said the bright switch made a big difference on the Custom (I assume after many saying how subtle it is on the H). Again, only a few minutes time, but found it to be every bit as subtle as it is on the H. Also, the presence knob was VERY subtle. Turning it form zero to full only made a small difference. Nowhere close to the sweep of a presence knob on any other amp I've tried. Also, the resonance was subtle... and so was the mid shift. Both made a difference, but at a quick trial, not a big difference. I'll play with those more tonight, but pending my response from the seller, I might be returning it if I can't figure the reverb out. I can't imagine it being any less than a couple hundred dollars to ship to PRS and back, and have a repair done, and he said everything was perfect on the amp when I bought it. We'll see how that goes. It was a Craigs List deal but the guy seems to have money. I doubt he'd screw me over but...

quick word about the problem with the reverb which is twofold. One, it doesn't work. with the knob all the way up there is no reverb on either channel (and yes, I know about the switch to turn it off on the gain channel and it's not set that way yet). Also, when I walk across the floor, I get the spring noise that you'd expect when really jarring the amp, even though I'm on thick carpet and good floors and no other amp has sever done anything like this. I lightly tapped it with fingers (not knuckles) and it just makes that spring noise then as well, and this is with the verb switched OFF. It even does it when you hit a chord on the clean channel. meaning the little big of vibration it gets from the cab (and it was on top of the H so two sets of rubber feet buffering it) make the spring noise.

I'll see how it goes tonight

Edit: seller responded while I was typing this post and said there was no issue when he played it the night before. He said he'd at least split repair cost if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My H was in for a bit of signal bleed between the gain and clean channel at VERY low levels
PTC fixed it right up this amp kills now
Guys in the office say it is like a cross between a MK Boogie and a Fender with more balls.
It really brings out the best in my rosewood neck guitars as set up with the EL-34s in it
Someday I would love to hear one with 6L6s just to see.

I'll probably switch mine over to EL34s right away, as I'm hoping to give it just a bit of a push towards the Brit side of the pond.

As I roll through my guitars, I got out the NF3 last night and it was the first time I'd played it through the Custom 50. HOLY CRAP did it sound great. Both channels. Big killer fat juicy cleans, and just smokin on the gain channel as well. And this all through a humble 1x12 Avatar with Eminence Private Jack. Boy, I can't wait to get two Scumbacks in my PRS cab. It's going to be even better!

I'm still trying to decide on which EL34s to buy. I think I want to buy some affordable new tubes for it to try. Then if I decide that's definitely what I'll stay with, I'll look for some primo EL34s and whatever I buy now will be my backups. Now to decide which current model affordable EL34s to try...

Back