Tube failure or ear fatigue?

Ever try tube dampeners? Some people think it is snake oil and some swear by them.
With an engineering background, I tend to follow the most clearly logical route. For some reason I've never had the opportunity to look at the dampeners (not that they aren't logical). Mesa/Boogie's SUS-4 and combo cabinet suspension system are the only isolation concepts that have worked for me. Except for putting the head on the floor.

The theory has been around a long time in the home audio world where various products were developed to isolate vibration induced distortion. The dampener would calm the residences within the tube bottle to reduce vibration induced feedback I think. Many are in the form of cones and ball bearings that you put in between components to isolate them from each other or thingies around the individual tubes to reduce vibration. Kind of like lifting a ground loop.

Maybe it has nothing to do with your gear and much to do about the quality of power coming into the building you are in at the time. Tube amps react differently to the voltage and amperage. I learned this the hard way by playing with a product called Exact Audio power - not a plug - which regulated the power coming into an amplifier to be more consistent which improved the sound of a solid state amp dramatically.

Your mileage may vary but good luck. These are finicky things e love to tinker with.

...Maybe it has nothing to do with your gear and much to do about the quality of power...
Yes, that did cross my mind. And considering that we were all probably sharing power from the same circuit and the bassist was exercising his 1200w Ampeg, I might have been losing the available current battle. I might take one of my UPSes next weekend.

Yes, that did cross my mind. And considering that we were all probably sharing power from the same circuit and the bassist was exercising his 1200w Ampeg, I might have been losing the available current battle. I might take one of my UPSes next weekend.

I've had great luck with that Furman device I previously posted about, that stores 45 amps of power in a reservoir concept, but not with every amp in the same way or to the same extent.

It made a very large difference with the Lone Star, but a much smaller difference with the PRS amps, though there's still enough of a difference to be worthwhile with those amps, too.

These little differences do add up, so maybe there's something to be said for using the UPS.

Cool. Give it a try. I think it has a lot to do with how the transformers store and release power. My friend who does a lot of electronics work for the Army and Navy always quotes "Voltage does not kill, amperage does." Lot to be said for that I guess.

Back