Trying out a Brent Mason PRS

The Viking Gangster

Hello Everybody:

I'm going to pick up a Brent Mason model to try out for a couple of days.

Anybody out there own one? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I got one :)

First of all, what kind of music do you usually play, which amp(s) do you have, what kinds of tones do you like etc?

I grew up playing stuff from the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, Paul Simon, Steely Dan , George Benson, The Eagles, and more. If I like it I'll play it whether it's country, jazz, classical, or whatever.

Here's the deal with me. I have 30th Anniversary Custom 24 that I've been trying to love. It's a great guitar, but I have never really bonded with the tone. However, the Custom 24 is hard guitar to match. I tried several other new and used PRS's that didn't pass the 10 second test (Al Di Meola), and I tried a couple of LSL telecasters, and several fender teles too. (Custom Shop and standard production). They felt and sounded too thin for me. I also tried a few Gibson guitars too, but they all didn't compare to the Custom 24.

Well, I brought the Brent Mason home yesterday afternoon and really enjoy the tone. I think the Brent Mason maybe be the one. It has a tone I enjoy with the great PRS quality. I think the 408 narrow pickups sound great as well as the middle 305 pickup. The Korina body with the maple neck gives the guitar a crisp open clarity that I'm looking for without being thin.

The only thing I find it doesn't do very well is higher gain on the bridge pickup for rhythm playing. In my own experience, of course.

O.K. I now officially own the guitar. Last night I lowered the action and intonated the strings. All I can say while playing tonight after works is that I think I did right by purchasing this beast.

Thanks everybody for listening to my story.

Sounds like you found the perfect guitar for you! Awesome!

Yes, I hope so. Thanks for listening to all my back and forth with my Custom 24 on other postings. I believe this one will be a keeper.

Oh, by they way, nice write up in the blog!

Enjoy that Brent Mason! I've got one (see my avatar) and I like it a lot. I play a lot of different styles and I can cover all of them with this guitar. Hey, if it's good enough for Brent, it's sure good enough for me! Plus, I was able to get Brent and Paul to sign the trem cover.

Enjoy that Brent Mason! I've got one (see my avatar) and I like it a lot. I play a lot of different styles and I can cover all of them with this guitar. Hey, if it's good enough for Brent, it's sure good enough for me! Plus, I was able to get Brent and Paul to sign the trem cover.

Wow, that is certainly cool that both Brent and Paul signed the trem cover.

I really love the guitar more and more. And, I agree, if Brent uses the guitar it must be good :p

Back