Truss rod sticking out- Is this normal?

Dnerve

Purchased a 2020 used core recently, found the truss rod sticking out like in the photo. Is it normal/too much?
2023-12-31-23-40-22-738.jpg

I would have to start pulling truss rod covers to check mine. I don't have time to do that at the moment. If the neck relief is good and you don't have any rattles, I wouldn't worry about it.

What I find interesting about that picture is the 1003 stamped in the wood. I have not seen that before. I may have to find some time to take some of my truss rod covers off to see if any of mine have a number stamped in them. If I find time to do that, I will check the truss rods too.

It's normal--or rather, mine are that way. Is it a 22 or 24 fret guitar? Just idle wondering on my part, if the truss rod itself is interchangeable between the two necks, with the same scale length.

What I find interesting about that picture is the 1003 stamped in the wood. I have not seen that before.
I know what you mean. One of my PRS guitars has that I’m not sure which one it might be the Santana with the Rosewood neck. I will check and post a picture when I find which one has it. Not sure what number it is also.

That's typical for PRS and Gibson truss rods. It's the male end instead of a female end, they're much easier to turn, unlike the ones that are recessed and need a smaller allen wrench to turn (i.e. Epiphone).

What I find interesting about that picture is the 1003 stamped in the wood. I have not seen that before.

I have that on at least one of mine...I always just chalked it up to being done at the sourcing site, like stamping a bundle of lumber or blanks, and PRS just uses them if the number can be concealed.

Pure speculation on my part...

I have that on at least one of mine...I always just chalked it up to being done at the sourcing site, like stamping a bundle of lumber or blanks, and PRS just uses them if the number can be concealed.

Pure speculation on my part...
I doubt that is what it is. If it were an identification number for lumber I would expect it to be much longer than that. I would also expect the numbers to not be so deep and crisp after sanding.

That number is perfectly lined up with the truss rod route. That looks to have been stamped after the headstock overlay was put on the guitar. I am wondering if it is only done on solid rosewood necks. I don't have any with a rosewood neck to check.

EDIT: I looked at the picture again. That is a mahogany neck with a rosewood overlay. That throws one of my theories out the window.

I got a few minutes to pull the truss rod cover from a couple of my PRS with the rosewood headstock overlays on them. Neither have a stamped number in them. One of my truss rods looks just like the pictures in this thread. The other one has less threads exposed.

I am starting to wonder if the number stamped under the truss rod cover in the OP is something a prior owner did for identification.

Back