Truss rod adjustment/humidity magic?

Casi1

So... say I have this old guitar. Might be bowed and the truss rod won’t move. And my tech is closed due to the pandemic situation.

:oops:

I took it out of its case yesterday and noticed that the bass side strings look and feel WAY FAR from the fretboard. It’s suddenly hard to play. What happened? I then look at the various humidifier packs that were in the case with the guitar. Yup all dried out. Probably been dried out for months.

I looked up some videos online and tried to follow instructions to confirm a bow. I held onto the body and looked down to the headstock. Looks straight. I fretted the first fret, put my lil pinky on a fret near 14, and looked at the middle. I see space between the fret and string. Not a lot of space but definitely more space than my other guitars.

My Custom 24 did this once. I could never see a bow but I could immediately feel that the strings felt too close or too far away.

If there’s an upbow, I turn truss rod to right (righty tighty), right? I try. But my truss rod on this ‘79 won’t budge to right.

Last night, I left the guitar on a stand directly in front of a humidifier. Might it magically unbow itself? Might be just a little bow?

Because of varying seasonal humidity, guitars will typically experience variance from factory intonation and truss rod allowances.

The PRS website (https://prsguitars.com/support/setup) has within its support pages the correct procedures for restoring truss rod adjustment and intonation to your guitar.

Best wishes (I've done 2 successful adjustments/intonations myself and have liked the results. Requires only several tools, all of which are available online)

If the truss rod won't budge, it sounds as if the rod or connection may be rusted stuck. That's a bigger problem than a home hobbyist can manage. I'd try to call a tech and see if he can walk you through the steps, otherwise...wait until a tech shop opens up again.

Last edited:
PRSi are some of the best/easiest guitars I've ever adjusted...the big thing to remember is just do VERY small increments at a time. PRS guitars come with the adjustment tool, in the case/gig bag.
If its stuck, try loosening the bolt first…"to the left" (lefty loosey, righty tighty) If it "pops" or "cracks", don't freak out. (unless it breaks off :eek:) This just means its been a long time since its been adjusted.
If it moves to the left, than bring it back to the right, to the original position, plus about 1/4 turn. recheck your action...Remember to give the neck some time to adjust to the change of tension. *(couple hours??)
If it turns to the right and stops again, it may be maxed out. (there are fixes for this, too.) Doubt this happens, though.
Good luck.

Because of varying seasonal humidity, guitars will typically experience variance from factory intonation and truss rod allowances.

The PRS website (https://prsguitars.com/support/setup) has within its support pages the correct procedures for restoring truss rod adjustment and intonation to your guitar.

Best wishes (I've done 2 successful adjustments/intonations myself and have liked the results. Requires only several tools, all of which are available online)

If the truss rod won't budge, it sounds as if the rod or connection may be rusted stuck. That's a bigger problem than a home hobbyist can manage. I'd try to call a tech and see if he can walk you through the steps, otherwise...wait until a tech shop opens up again.

Take it to a luthier or a tech who knows what they are doing is my advice.

Update:

The guitar seems to have magically fixed itself.

After receiving advice from this topic, I tried to turn truss rod in both directions. I tried for a good 7 minutes. I then gave up and placed the guitar back in my humidified room directly in path of the tiny mist particles. I left it there.

I checked on it today and I did the pinky on 14th fret, chord at 1st fret thing and now the gap between strings and middle frets is much smaller.

Maybe all it needed was a cool wet breeze.

Update:

The guitar seems to have magically fixed itself.

After receiving advice from this topic, I tried to turn truss rod in both directions. I tried for a good 7 minutes. I then gave up and placed the guitar back in my humidified room directly in path of the tiny mist particles. I left it there.

I checked on it today and I did the pinky on 14th fret, chord at 1st fret thing and now the gap between strings and middle frets is much smaller.

Your idea!

Reactions: jxe
Your idea!

I’m glad it turned out to be a simple thing but the way this guitar reacted to being dry... well, I just have to do better at keeping it humidified. Whenever my shop reopens, I will take in it to verify the condition of the rod. I have a feeling it might be at the end of movement. I’m a bit naive in thinking that my 60s/70s/early 80s guitar necks have already moved as much as they are going to move, but apparently that’s not the case.

Update:

I then gave up and placed the guitar back in my humidified room directly in path of the tiny mist particles. I left it there.

:)eek::eek::eek:)

Sometimes, we all need that.

Back