Trouble using USA studs in S2 Bernie Marsden

MikeChandler

I pulled one of the stud wells in my bernie, to put in some USA locking ones for a USA stop tail bridge.

Surprise surprise, both the USA studs I have and the Tonepros ones I ordered are the wrong size - they are both too narrow for the SE holes.

Do I actually have to fill the holes and redrill them the right size? If that's the case, forget it.

Anybody?

Last edited:
The Bernie is an SE, not an S2. You`ll need metric locking studs. I like the Jason Schroeder ones personally. I have them on 3 of my SE`s, but any metric will work. I do believe the locking studs make a positive difference in the sound.

Unfortunately yes.

The Bernie stud wells are a half inch.

Solutions other than filling and drilling are:

Tone pros or Schroeder metric locking studs. I recommend the Schroeder ones.

Stick with current set-up

The John Mann (MannMadeUSA) adjustable stop tail. I have it on my Bernie and it is fantastic! The stud wells he supplies are the right size.

Locking studs are where it's at. Maximum surface area for energy transfer. My Akesson came with them, and it outgunned every other Singlecut SE I tried when it came to sustain and resonance, much fuller sounding guitar.

I found some gibson steel 1/2" x .85" inserts locally at antique electronics. They are also 5/16x24. If I do that I can just use the US locking studs I got. I am going to pick them up tomorrow.

I know the bernie is an SE, that was a typo. Honestly I'd have bought an S2 if they didn't have the horrible neck sizes.

Anyhow, I hope this does it. Boy do I feel dumb.

Unfortunately yes.

The Bernie stud wells are a half inch.

Solutions other than filling and drilling are:

Tone pros or Schroeder metric locking studs. I recommend the Schroeder ones.

Stick with current set-up

The John Mann (MannMadeUSA) adjustable stop tail. I have it on my Bernie and it is fantastic! The stud wells he supplies are the right size.
+1 on the John Mann. I have one on my Bernie as well. Plus, he's a great guy.

Thanks for all the advice.

So last night I couldn't stand it anymore, and I stuck the metric bushing back in, then I put the metric posts back in, and restrung it using the USA stop tail.

WOWZA - all of a sudden the guitar is wide open, sounds like a les paul acoustically when strumming it. It has amazing girth - both lower, more harmonics, and stronger.

I`m not surprised, but do get proper metric locking studs. There`ll be another quantum leap up in tone.

Nah, metric schmetric!

I got usa steel bushings today, and drilled the body deeper for them. They're inserted and I'm using the USA locking studs instead.

:)

Working on the pickup and tuner swap at the moment.

Back