Tried a fiore yesterday….

henryjurstin13

Got to compare a silver sky with a fiore yesterday at Barnett in Tulsa…. Fiore was very, very weak signal compared to the silver sky. Is this normal?

I expected the silver sky to be quieter/weaker….

None of that matters when you dial-in the amp+pedals for the guitar. I’ve never eval’ed a guitar’s amplified sound with a store’s or buddy’s rig and paid much attention. It’s all about working with my stuff. Stick with playability and acoustic sound tests at a store.

None of that matters when you dial-in the amp+pedals for the guitar. I’ve never eval’ed a guitar’s amplified sound with a store’s or buddy’s rig and paid much attention. It’s all about working with my stuff. Stick with playability and acoustic sound tests at a store.
Well, yes and no. I agree with what you’re saying to a certain extent, but it does matter what the pickup is designed to sound like. Of course. Otherwise all pickups would be made the same.

The Fiore does some series/parallel things, that can change the output level. Mark Lettieri designed the electronics, to give you a lot of options, and maintain a similar output level. It's a session player's guitar, with over a dozen switching options. It makes sense, that it would be lower output.

Mark explains it in this video.
PRS Fiore Demo - PG Gear Spotlight - YouTube

Fiore vs. Silver Sky, comparison.
PRS Fiore vs The Silver Sky Comparison - YouTube

Last edited:
Well, yes and no. I agree with what you’re saying to a certain extent, but it does matter what the pickup is designed to sound like. Of course. Otherwise all pickups would be made the same.
I think you’ve missed my meaning. Evaluating an amplified guitar at a store on foreign equipment and in an uncontrolled area will not tell you what you need to know about a guitar. It has nothing to do with pickups.

I think you’ve missed my meaning. Evaluating an amplified guitar at a store on foreign equipment and in an uncontrolled area will not tell you what you need to know about a guitar. It has nothing to do with pickups.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one - most guitar stores have at least one amp on the floor that I've owned before. As such, I have a good idea of what it should sound like through a Vox, or Fender, or various Marshalls...if I can't get at least a reasonable sound out of an amp with which I'm familiar, that tells me something I need to know. Further, if I can get a good tone out of an amp that's not my favorite, that tells me something. Playability is king, indeed, but if I can't get a usable tone in the store through an amp that also tells me I'm likely to need to change pickups at the very least when I get home, and I will not buy a guitar where the stock pickups do nothing for me. I *might* change them later, though I really prefer not to...it's a road that I've found generally leads to dissatisfaction and me selling the guitar. Will the in-store amp tell me everything I need to know? Nope - but it very well might tell me enough to know that it's not my guitar.

I agree finding an amp you know and like is key. I can typically shape tone to my liking once home even if it takes the bench. Playability and feel in the store is king for me too.

I get more bummed when I love a tone at the store but don't at home than the other way around.

I find that I can tell a lot about a guitar at a store by playing clean through any number of amps.

I don't play with all that much gain, anyway, so evaluating the guitar isn't terribly difficult. I do agree strongly with Boogie that the acoustic tone of the guitar matters quite a bit - call it another standard of comparison.

Just for sake of the conversation, I played these guitars through a Sonzera 20. I don't own a Sonzera, but I've played these amps plenty enough in the last couple years to be very familiar with their tonalities.

100% disagree. I can plug a guitar into a random 5w Blackstar (or whatever) practice amp at a store and pretty much know all I need to know about a guitar. One of the most overrated ideas in the guitar playing world is "I need to play it through my rig". Most of the character in a guitar is in the guitar itself. That's why they call those noise making boxes "amplifiers", because they amplify the basic voice the guitar already has.

Last edited:
Back