Tribute to my dad

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
Sorry for the long and sentimental post.

My father passed away at the end of March, just three weeks shy of his 70th birthday. It was a pretty quick and surprising crash, though he's had some health issues. The reason I wanted to post this is that I wouldn't be playing PRS guitars, or most likely guitar at all without him. My favorite memory from my early days is playing around in the living room while my dad strummed his old Gibson dread.

We didn't play much guitar together when I was growing up (I think his patience was fairly short with my bumbling, and he worked so much he cherished the little bit of down time he could scrounge). The good news is that we made up for lost music time over the last decade, playing together in a '50s-'00s rock, blues, and surf cover band.

In 1991 or 1992, my dad and I were visiting family in Colorado (we were living in TX at the time), and decided to go hit the local guitar stores. A small store, National Speaker and Sound, had a few PRS guitars. Before that, I had seen and played only one PRS. Well, we played every one National had. He ended up walking out with a purple CE24 (it blew away the other CE and the three customs--by far). A decade later, that purple CE became my first PRS.

We've both been through a good number of guitars and amps, and our favorites have always been PRS. I figured I'd share a guitar family photo of our PRS gear. My 513 and P22 are at our rehearsal space, but here's his Brazzy boarded Artist 408, 513, my Studio, SC HB II, and paisley Sweet 16 +.

I'm glad to have some of his gear to remind me of our time playing together. Ican't imagine not thinking of Pipeline every time ipick up his strat. It's hard to imagine him not playing it anymore.

So, to my dad! I know he'd enjoy being memorialized on a site devoted to the guitars he loved.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
I share an almost identical sequence concerning playing guitar with my father who passed 4 years ago.
Not until I was older and appreciated playing jazz that we got together and "made up for lost music time" like you. I still have his old Ibanez PM20 jazz box around, although I can't play the thing for more than 10 minutes because of my bad shoulder & disks. Kept it around, but now it's kind of a melancholy old thing collecting dust in the closet, too bad pops wasn't into PRS.

But like you, the time we spent jamming together on jazz standards is precious memories.
Prayers & best wishes brother.

Condolences and eventual cheers.

Very nice tribute, really great that you are remembering that about which you loved him most.

Hey Bro'

It's incredibly difficult and painful when someone you love passes on.
The hurt will never really go away.
Cherish and honour the memories.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Beautiful memories. Thanks for sharing them. Very sorry for your loss.

Heartfelt and well said. A fitting sentiment. Condolences and best wishes to you, and yours.

A lovely remembrance! My Dad has been gone for over a decade and I still miss him. We never bonded over music (despite being Welsh, he didn't sing, and certainly didn't play an instrument), but we did over beer and wine (we both enjoyed making home-made for both), and food and camping, and Formula 1 and College football. Sigh. Dammit, who's slicing onions at 8:20 in the morning?

My condolences. Awesome tribute. I discovered PRS with my dad and he's been gone almost as long as I've been playing PRS now. So cool that you two eventually got together in a band. That's a wonderful connection to have had and one that will always be with you. That's an incredible thing.

Thanks for Sharing this... Its really great for you to honor him.
Most of us don't understand the influence a strong role model can mean for young men..
My father was a "Maverick" in his own way, and so inspirational to me too.

Thank you for sharing. Such a wonderful and touching story. I'm glad you guys were able to make up for lost time later in life. I do not come from a musical family, and my father died before I ever even started playing.

I apologize if this is the wrong place or time, but do you know the name of the color on that 408? That is one of the most beautiful burst colors I've ever seen.

Kevin

My father passed away at the end of March, just three weeks shy of his 70th birthday. It was a pretty quick and surprising crash, though he's had some health issues. The reason I wanted to post this is that I wouldn't be playing PRS guitars, or most likely guitar at all without him. My favorite memory from my early days is playing around in the living room while my dad strummed his old Gibson dread.

We didn't play much guitar together when I was growing up (I think his patience was fairly short with my bumbling, and he worked so much he cherished the little bit of down time he could scrounge). The good news is that we made up for lost music time over the last decade, playing together in a '50s-'00s rock, blues, and surf cover band.

In 1991 or 1992, my dad and I were visiting family in Colorado (we were living in TX at the time), and decided to go hit the local guitar stores. A small store, National Speaker and Sound, had a few PRS guitars. Before that, I had seen and played only one PRS. Well, we played every one National had. He ended up walking out with a purple CE24 (it blew away the other CE and the three customs--by far). A decade later, that purple CE became my first PRS.

We've both been through a good number of guitars and amps, and our favorites have always been PRS. I figured I'd share a guitar family photo of our PRS gear. My 513 and P22 are at our rehearsal space, but here's his Brazzy boarded Artist 408, 513, my Studio, SC HB II, and paisley Sweet 16 +.

I'm glad to have some of his gear to remind me of our time playing together. Ican't imagine not thinking of Pipeline every time ipick up his strat. It's hard to imagine him not playing it anymore.

So, to my dad! I know he'd enjoy being memorialized on a site devoted to the guitars he loved.

Thanks, guys.
Condolences. My father left just over a year ago and while he didn't play, he did affect my playing by writing bible verses on my then new Guitar Player with Eddie Van Halen's first cover shot.

Thanks, guys.
God Bless

...The hurt will never really go away...
Seems like there is an unspoken message in there that I'll appropriately let go by, but I do need to comment on this part. This has not been my experience.

My father died when I was 24. Yes it hurt, but that hurt does go away. For many years now the thought of my dad simply brings feelings of fondness and love. I don't remember the two days in the small town hospital or the air evac, in which he died, trying to get him to one better prepared to treat his heart attack. I do remember the many days working with him in our family auto garage. I do remember his huge calloused hands and his humor. I do remember him strumming old time country tunes on mom's 58 Martin.

So to the OP I offer hope. It does go away. It does get better. You have the guitars, the music, the memories, and the love. That is what stays. The pain need not.

Back