Tone - Custom 22 VS Custom 24

The neck pickup and any pickup combination involving the neck pickup
will sound different because the neck puckups on the 2 guitars are
in different places with regard to the nut and bridge.

These are S2's but the same principle applies.
Left to right, guitars 1, 2 and 5 have 22 frets
while guitars 3 and 4 have 24 frets.

Look at the neck pickup locations.
The difference is very obvious on guitars 2 and 4.

WHz299K.jpg

Last edited:
These couple of video's basically say everything anyone can really say...

The custom 22 rocks harder and melts faces in a way that no other guitar can. It is capable of all styles of music, and will leave every listener with tears after experiencing the glorious tone.

It is so awesomely toneful that as a player your fingers will meld with instrument as it morphs to become an extension of your musical soul.

Your soul will feel that is flying free of your body because the guitar takes over your expressions and all you communicate becomes gloriously musical.

Your voice becomes a blossoming note that sustains with angelic emotion.

And, the tears fall as you create beautiful, expressive sounds dripping with woody, orgasmic tones from the single greatest guitar of all time.

So, yeah....

AS far as tone goes , I sound the same on most any guitar.
Egrnomics wise the 24 fells like a longer reach to open chords or the 22 feels more compact,
to me they sound very similar

I hear a little difference. I like having 2 more frets. All in all there's not a big reason to own one over the other. Find the one you love and play it.

I hear the 22 fretter as having more midrange and a slightly more compressed sound. Even with both pickups humbucking, I hear the 24 fretter as having more bite and spank. I got the 509 in my avatar about a month ago, and it breaks the sounds of my other PRS and what I’m used to hearing. I want to gig that bad boy and see what happens with volume. The clarity at low volume is amazing. I can hear all 6,000 of my mistakes, and that’s just on the intro of a tune.

The neck pickup and any pickup combination involving the neck pickup
will sound different because the neck pickups on the 2 guitars are
in different places with regard to the nut and bridge.
Yup. The tighter pickup spacing especially changes the middle position tones quite a bit, but adds a new array of tones at the same time, especially with a 5-way. Sometimes you'll want the more traditional sounding Cu22, but then you'll start yearning for that different range that you'll get with a Cu24. Truth be told, I have both as well as LPs and such, but the one I reach for most is my Cu24. So much fun and variety.

As many said, the answer is that you need both. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes the truth hurts. Sorry. :(:)

in life there are always trade offs

I have 1 22 fret gtr and 3 24 fretters. The Custom 24 for me is the best all round gtr.

If you use the right neck pup, say a 5708, with the 24 fret gtr and roll the tone off slightly it will get you there. You gain great upper fret access which increases my ease of playing and creativity.
Playing in high A is so much easier with 24 for example.

The custom 22 rocks harder and melts faces in a way that no other guitar can. It is capable of all styles of music, and will leave every listener with tears after experiencing the glorious tone.

It is so awesomely toneful that as a player your fingers will meld with instrument as it morphs to become an extension of your musical soul.

Your soul will feel that is flying free of your body because the guitar takes over your expressions and all you communicate becomes gloriously musical.

Your voice becomes a blossoming note that sustains with angelic emotion.

And, the tears fall as you create beautiful, expressive sounds dripping with woody, orgasmic tones from the single greatest guitar of all time.

So, yeah....
I am definitely a custom 22 guy. Tone wise, the larger distance between bridge and neck give more variation between the two pickups. To be honest, the only person that will know that is the player though, unless you a/b them. But that difference shows up in the feel that it takes to get the tones you want.

Back