Toggle vs. Blade Switch - Which do you Prefer?

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
My first PRS (a 2010 SE CU22 stoptail) had a toggle switch, which I loved where it was located. My 2017 SE CU22 (trem) has it in the same place. And then my 2018 McCarty has the toggle in the same place. I really love the placement location and simplicity of a 3-way toggle, and find that if I play any of the current generation/core CU22/24 models, I can't get used to the the location of the blade switch. In fact, I now won't even consider a PRS if it doesn't have a 3-way toggle "down there." Funny enough, I have no problem locating and using the pup selector switches on my Strat or Jazzmaster. :confused:

Anyone else have a strong preference of one switch style/location over the other?

The blade is in a bad location for trem equipped guitars. Immediately disqualifies them from consideration for me, I have one and it always get skipped over because of it.
Interesting observation - probably what I was finding.

So I guess that leaves me looking for a DGT or a CE (like you, I like the old ones)... not that there's anything wrong with that!

I guess I was used to the 3-way toggle on the upper bout (S2 SC's, 594's and LP-types) for many years and didn't think about it too much.

Only 3-way or 5-way blade toggles I've used were with my F's and Suhr's, also my recent 408. Knowing that I really didn't bond with these guitars, I'd say the blade toggles, tone, or playability were likely reasons why they were sold for other guitars...

I don't care for the blade switch on PRS guitars. I'm fine with the rotary and the toggle. The only thing about the toggle that I don't like is having to pull the knobs for coil taps (DGT and McCarty). It's not a big deal when I'm at home and working on learning material. Switching between a rotary and a toggle at rehearsal or a gig requires me to remember that little fact. Fortunately, I don't switch positions very often in the middle of songs.

Agree. It's fine on my SE7, but it's a PITA on my CU22 with trem. I'm currently having an internal debate on whether or not to replace it with a Santana.

But then you’ll have the solution/problem of all your knobs and switches being really far away.

Toggle for me. I could do a 3 way blade, but 5 way blades get no love from me. And the rotary is just terrible imo.

Agree. Sometimes it's not always easy switching to a certain setting with a 5-way; and a rotary should be left for traffic flow, not guitars...

At least with the 3-way you know where you are regards the guitar pickups.

I prefer the 3-way on the upper horn like the 94 set up and prefer a blade at the bottom. I could possibly get used to a 3-way switch IF the switch was horizontal (like the blades are) instead of vertical. The switch to me would have to be angled in a natural way but not in the way of accidental switching which if you are strumming hard in a vertical motion, I don't want to accidentally knock the switch and change the pick-up selection. I don't like switches behind the bridge.

I know its not a PRS, but the way the Music Mann Majesty Monarchy positions everything is ergonomic, designed to be switched perfectly with the arc of the arm - well at least arc of John Petrucci's arm. The lower blade/switch angled perfectly in line with the way an arm arcs and to a degree, the best blade positions at the bottom are angled to the way an arm pivots at the elbow so switching can be done incredibly quickly without interrupting the rhythm - that's one of the big reasons I much prefer the 3-way on the upper horn because you can switch it without affecting your rhythm. Switches behind the bridge do affect my Rhythm because they are not in the natural arc of my arm.

I am sure its a personal thing for everyone, what you are most used to. The switching and knob arrangement is the thing that I have to think most about when changing between my guitars. Despite all basically having different necks and some with different scale lengths and bridge types, these differences have no impact to me. Going from the Thinnest (Pattern Thin) to the thickest and most different (Pattern Vintage) and versa really have nothing more than a split second thought that they are different but it takes me a lot longer to get used to where the switches,blades and knobs are. At least I don't really find myself switching between split/tapped humbuckers to full humbucking mid song to try and get used to where each mini-toggle or Push/pull pots are whilst playing. I tend to set these before or at the very least, I have some time before/after a part that gives me the opportunity to look and switch.

It wouldn't let me post in one single post so this is the 3rd and final paragraph from my previous post...

But then you’ll have the solution/problem of all your knobs and switches being really far away.

I finally got my hands on a Santana for the first time over the weekend, and other than making volume swells a little challenging, I though the control location was fine. I may keep an eye out for one of the early 2010's versions with the McCarty style control layout. In no hurry. I'm feeling very content with my gear options lately.

I finally got my hands on a Santana for the first time over the weekend, and other than making volume swells a little challenging, I though the control location was fine. I may keep an eye out for one of the early 2010's versions with the McCarty style control layout. In no hurry. I'm feeling very content with my gear options lately.

Well, be careful then. I felt pretty content as well after my first Santana shaped guitar... so I bought another, and another, and...

I don't really mind the 5 way. I prefer the toggle, but truth be told, I'm always on the bridge p/u, so it doesn't matter.

I like the tone options on the core 5-way blade. I get that it's in a non-jarring position for f-style aficionados, but I think the Dustie Waring layout would be better. It's another cool sig (VR Vela) disqualified for me by the Floyd.

I prefer the toggle both aesthetically and ergonomically but I have a couple of blades, they are fine.

I suppose I prefer a blade. They feel more positive and you don't need to centre them after use to remove tension. Also prefer a switch in the lower bout position. When I first used a LP I kept knocking that switch by accident.

Best option is no switch at all. I prefer to use one pickup (neck), so I only really need one pickup. Anything to simplify the controls is good stuff IMO.

The toggle switches are more intuitive and easier to switch on the fly, especially on the upper bout. If you have to deal with push-pull pots or mini toggles at the same time, forget it. The only gripe I have with the blade switches is where they are located, the trem is in the way.
When I'm just jamming, I often stumble with the blade switches. When I'm playing specific songs, I rehearse switch moves, pedal stomps, etc. so that I do them as automatically as possible.

Back