Toggle vs. Blade Switch - Which do you Prefer?

Rotary

Sorry, on my PRSi, it's what feels right.
I've played PRS guitars with rotaries, but never owned one, so have not had enough time to get fully comfortable with them. Unless your ears are really well attuned to your guitar, how do you ever know what position you're in? I found I was always turning the rotary to full rotation, and then clicking through to a specific position - certainly not something I could do quickly mid-song.

Hmmm...this is one I kinda go back and forth on. Sometimes, I prefer the 3-way toggle with push-pull splits. It's easier for me to move around and switch pickups if a part in a song calls for it. With a five-way blade switch and trem equipped guitar, well like Sergio said, it's not in an ideal location for that. Having to "jump" the trem arm to get to the blade switch is just a bit of an obstacle.

However, I do LOVE the tones I get from the five-way blade switch and really don't find myself wishing for a toggle when I play my blade-switch equipped guitars. For songs and instances in which I would need to switch, say, from bridge to neck pickup on a 3-way toggle equipped guitar, I find myself using the tone and volume knobs a lot more on the 5-way quipped guitar.

Ultimately, I can't ever come to a concrete one-or-the-other situation because all my guitars have such incredible tones. I'm never really finding myself in a position where any of my guitars can't get the job done well....it may be getting it done differently, but not any better or worse, per-se.

On most guitars I'm ok with a blade. On PRS I prefer a toggle. It doesn't matter where it's located, the toggle is just always better on a PRS design.

I've played PRS guitars with rotaries, but never owned one, so have not had enough time to get fully comfortable with them. Unless your ears are really well attuned to your guitar, how do you ever know what position you're in? I found I was always turning the rotary to full rotation, and then clicking through to a specific position - certainly not something I could do quickly mid-song.

That's basically what PRSh recommended in a video years ago. He said the rotary was really easy to use, and the positions were easy to find - you just slam it to one end then back one to get the 7 and 9, two to get the 8. Admittedly, it's something I never mastered, and I would have never tried it that way because it seemed like it would be hard on the switch, but I never heard anyone complaining that the switch didn't hold up.

That's basically what PRSh recommended in a video years ago. He said the rotary was really easy to use, and the positions were easy to find - you just slam it to one end then back one to get the 7 and 9, two to get the 8. Admittedly, it's something I never mastered, and I would have never tried it that way because it seemed like it would be hard on the switch, but I never heard anyone complaining that the switch didn't hold up.

That’s how I’ve always instinctively used the rotary, and it’s kinda fortunate that I’ve never cared much for the middle position since it’s the trickiest to get to.

My CE turned 25 this year and I’m still on the original wafer rotary switch with no problems.

HpiXqKN.jpg

I dislike blades so much, I made a new pickguard for the Mira korina I used to own. Then I discovered I'm not a fan of 24 frets.

I think it may be a marketing scheme. I hated the blade switch so much on my S2 Standard that I bought a S2 Singlecut.
Hey, Let's put a blade switch under the trem arm-Brilliant Idea!
The scheme actually backfired in my situation. I got so used to not using a blade switch that I, instead of buying another PRS, bought four Gibson Les Pauls.
The "Blade switch under the trem", my gateway drug to Les Pauls.

Toggle all the way. I hate the 3-way blade switch on most of the SE line.

I’ll probably end up getting a used Navarro model because of this reason.

Toggle for me, with single/double coil switching of whatever variety for each pickup. I like the Paul's Guitar arrangement the best, followed by the 594 arrangement. The current blade switch on the Customs and 408 and 509 is clumsy but I guess less clumsy than the old rotary switch.

I really don't care for multi-pickup combinations, except for the neck-middle combination on a Strat. Once in a while. At best.

Since the only one I have has a toggle, I'll go with that. I don't however like the toggle in the new for PRS position on the upper bout. It's too LP for me and doesn't look correct, just me. It seems to destroy the flow of the lines for me.

Back