To buy or not to buy? That is my question

S27NJH

Ok, so I guess most will say, yes, buy.
Here is my dilemma. I bought a custom 22 around 5 years ago. I ended up leaving in the case as I was too scared to take it to gigs and ruin that lovely 10 top. Hence, I sold it after around a year. Dozens of amps and guitars later I bought a custom 24. I have no idea why but I thought it sounded boring and lifeless. It had the 57/08 pickups. I changed them for the hfs but still it was a dull sounding guitar. I bought that one used and got my money back on the resale. Anyway, I have been playing strats for a couple years and have a les paul standard too. I use an orange th30 which sounds great. The usual dilemma, Les Paul sounds incredible, strat plays so good and to me, has a better lead tone. My back seriously suffers when playing a Les paul for too long. I much prefer the playability, weight and lead tone of my strat.
Spin the clock forward, that age old debate. Does a prs get a good les Paul type tone but with strat playability and weight? It's been so long since I've played one and heard one. Do any of you notice a difference in tone between the 22 and 24? The new 5 way switching and the trem make it a great option for me. I play blues, pink floyd, hard rock etc etc. a typical rock covers band type thing. I know I'm asking on the prs forum if they are good for me and I inow the answer will be yes. Just a bit of help and guidance would be appreciated. From what I remember, my custom 22 sounded and played great. I don't think I should have got rid of it but maybe I'll get another

Tough question to answer because it is very subjective. That said, here is my take:
I think a PRS does the Les Paul very well. I still have a Les Paul, because that really defines what I consider my go to sound, but I play the PRS a lot more. The PRS is MUCH more comfortable to play, partly because they are lighter, but the body shape makes a huge difference to me.
I do notice some difference in the tone of the 22 versus the 24. I use the neck pickup a lot and find it a bit meatier with the slightly shorted neck.
I have a strat as well and tone wise, it is very different. The closest I get to it on a PRS is a swamp ash and another I have 3 narrow fields on. Neither are quite the strat sound and I have the strat just to get that classic tone once in a while.

I have a USA-made Stratocaster that I play about once/year. I have a Les Paul Custom that I play ~ 30% of the time. It's just too darn heavy (weight-wise) for this 57 year-old to wear on my shoulder all night long. My PRSi are extremely comfortable to play for hours on end. However, none of mine duplicate the sound of either a Lester or a Strat.

If you are looking for more classic tone go 408 / Pauls guitar or a CU22 if you want a Strat tone go 305 as far a Les Paul tone my Single Cut Trem ( SCT ) or Modern Eagle II

I have to agree with Rider on the SCT. I have one with #6 prs pickups and it is very close to my Les Paul. It has a satin finish and is very nice to play. I play it 40% of the time. I think I picked up my Les Paul 3 times this year. I sold the strat to help get the SCT Trem. I am a humbucker guy and at best I still want some beef a strat style single coal can't give. Which is why I like my PRS studio so much. I recently got a used KL380 Korina 3 p90 cus 22. very nice and it also satisfies my single coil needs with that nice hmm you get too ( i put Duncan antiquities in it!!!!)

I'd check out a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow. Light, wide range of tones with the 3-way and push/pull and you won't be afraid to swing it around on stage (the guitar I mean). I've got a S2 Mira SH and it plays as well as any other US made PRS I've owned.

Find an old CE22. You won't be afraid to play it, and the tone will amaze you.

Studio, best of both worlds on tone with humbucker, NF,NF, 5-way plus push/pull coil split. Shape and weight closer to Strat, trem or no trem , it's up to you. Easily the most versatile core model IMHO. I play mine a lot more than any other guitar I own. I have a couple of sweet Strats and a couple of good Lesters, the Studio is the closest you'll get with one off the shelf PRS.

Wow, just had a look on YouTube at the studio. That looks just the right thing for me. Seems to do it all. Will do a very passable single coil but rock out on the bridge too. Great suggestion, going to start reading up on those. Could be a one for all guitar

Studios are great. Don't be afraid to play your guitar. All you'd be doing is keeping it pristine for the next owner, and not enjoying it yourself!

Do not expect a PRS to sound exactly like a Strat or a Les Paul. You will only be disappointed & it's a "No Win" situation for PRS. That being said, There are PRSI's that will give you a heavy bottom end & there are some that will give you some jingle/jangle. They will have their own distinct sound though, which will not be exactly like an LP or a Strat.

Do not expect a PRS to sound exactly like a Strat or a Les Paul. You will only be disappointed & it's a "No Win" situation for PRS. That being said, There are PRSI's that will give you a heavy bottom end & there are some that will give you some jingle/jangle. They will have their own distinct sound though, which will not be exactly like an LP or a Strat.

I second that. A prs is A prs. ..... Gibson, fender and prs all are different. Some get close to another's sound but will never get that sound exactly. I was an les Paul player for years and as much as I loved the sound, I hated the weight. My shoulder couldn't take it after having surgery done on it so I looked at other manufacturers. There was this guy named Paul that I kept looking at his work in magazines since 1986 . Finally gave him a try and havent looked back.

DGT has a great low end imo
408 ,Pauls guitar and custom 22's are very versatile .
Brent mason.....that seems to be a very versatile guitar.
Studio......strat killer ......awesome guitar
McCarty.....nvm I just got that one today lol

And I'm also with sleary in seconding Markie. So, guess that's a third?

Anyway, personally, I don't WANT my Paul's Guitar to sound like a Strat or an LP. I WANT to be totally individual. Just like everybody else.

But, seriously, given the issue with back troubles, I would definitely look at a hollow body and my pup choice would be the NF 408's. Question: is it even possible to improve on them? Whew!

this is the correct answer. even after loading my SC245 with a nice PAF clone, it still doesn't quite like my LPs. Does it get close? Absolutely. But if you hear my Historics after hearing the SC, you can easily tell the difference. But the SC is much lighter and has that nice rounded out cutaway. Everything is a compromise.

I feel your pain as I am looking and asking the same questions even though I own a PRS. I am looking for something new or more specifically, I wish I could replace my Fender Strat. I own a 2013 Fender American Vintage 56 Stratocaster and for $2200 its okay, but its not what I wish it could be. I play country, blues and classic rock and one would think the Strat would fill the need. It does blues well and classic rock, but struggles on the country twang. So I saw the Brent Mason PRS and was like hay, that guy plays strats and tele's, so I bet I could what I need from that, but I am not convinced, yet...

I feel your pain as I am looking and asking the same questions even though I own a PRS. I am looking for something new or more specifically, I wish I could replace my Fender Strat. I own a 2013 Fender American Vintage 56 Stratocaster and for $2200 its okay, but its not what I wish it could be. I play country, blues and classic rock and one would think the Strat would fill the need. It does blues well and classic rock, but struggles on the country twang. So I saw the Brent Mason PRS and was like hay, that guy plays strats and tele's, so I bet I could what I need from that, but I am not convinced, yet...

C'mon, Marine! You're the best of the damn best, and it's a hell of a guitar! Go buy one!

Back