Three reasons why SE's beat all the other imports

These are three piece SE necks. I've taken a few apart... :girl: I'm not sayin' that it's a bad thing or that it takes away any of my love for these little bastids, I just wanted to show you so you know.

hi, the link is broken can you post it again, i would like to see what is 3 pcs neck look like.

Thanks bro :D

After 50 years of playing guitar, I could give a [mod edit] if it has a 10 piece neck, scarf joint, or even smokes a joint when I`m not playing it. If it sounds good, then I like it. I don`t believe that one design is inherently better than all the rest. There`s what we like and what we don`t. My focus is on the designer/luthier. Did he do everything for a reason that makes sonic sense? Do you like the finished product? Does it play well, sound well, and make you happy? I`ve never played a bad SE. I`ve bought and sold a truckload of `em to raise money to buy better PRS, but I still have more of them than fingers on one hand, and I don`t intend to sell any of the ones I have left. I also don`t intend to sell my core PRS. It`s about sound, feel, and does the guitar make you wanna keep playing. I can check yes to all of the above with my PRS, but not the other major brands I`ve owned over the years. And the best part is they stay in tune better than X,Y, and Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few thoughts on this so here we go. As far as scarf joints go, I picked up a CE24 at a shop the other day and did not notice the scarf joint at all. Had to look for it. Felt and played just like my old CE 24. The problem with LP's is not the scarf joint, it is the headstock angle that causes them to break all of the time. As long as they play great, stay n time and do not break, I really can care less and would buy either.

As far as the SE's go, it is like any guitar. I do think they are very well made and quality is fantastic but two things scare me a bit. One, I've seen some really nice ones that played really nice and some real dogs, mainly due to really bad setups, not build quality. Two is the level of modifications that happen. They are not even out of the case and people are ordering new tuners, pickups, nuts, switches. I know people like to modify guitars but at the final cost you could have had a very nice used core model.

I guess the internet purchase trend kind of kills the play it before you buy it.

I agree........the basic SE design is much stronger and needs less fine tuning than eg my mexican strat
PRS's setup guide on the website is great, just need a cheap string action gauge

for upgrading though, you can replace the nut, wilkinson type locking tuners and all pots, switches for surprisingly little; bit of a no brainer once you've done it once and are comfortable doing it

I watched the whole thing, and I'm kind of sorry I did!

Like watching sausages get made, as far as I'm concerned. Which I once did, and afterward swore off meat for two years.

Please allow me to pretend that there are artisans tapping wood for tone and combining just the right stuff in the right way, to make a great instrument. Yes I know that doesn't really happen any more! ;)

It might not happen at most larger facilities, but at PRS, and some other places world-wide, it might be SOP in building guitars. At least, I too, would like to think it happens.

Back