Thoughts on the "30" - who has played one?

Chester

I have a range of amps, and like my 2 CH Custom 50 a lot

The lure of EL84's is strong at the moment, which I hope will give a lively, bouncy response compared to the EL34 / 6L6 beasts I have at my disposal. It's that hair to crunch at lower volumes that I'm looking for in a studio setting

Anyone have direct experience of the "30"? Will it do what I'm looking for compared to the CU 50 etc? Does it need to be wound up to get good tone out of it, or does it deliver at conversation levels?

Thanks in advance fellas ..

I have not played the PRS 30, so take my statement however you wish...

I have owned several 15-30 watt el84 amps - Bad Cat, Vox - and to get the goods the power section has to be pretty hot. The preamp needs to be giving the power section some juice. In other words, the amp needs to be loud.

My Bad Cat had a great master volume so it was easier. The AC30 had a master, too, but it's not as good as the Bad Cat.

I like the 15 watt el84 amps better. It's easier to get the goods. But, that's pointless, lol.

I have the "30". It is a fantastic club amp. Musical tones all over the place. I use the master a bit but maybe 3/4 up. It is quite loud and takes pedal real well. I have owned a lot of amps. 18 watt Marshall is my favorite but the 30 sounds great when you can use a bit more volume. It has more girth to it.

Back