Thoughts on Sound of S2 Studio

My 2 D types are set farther from the strings than yours, with the bass side lower than the treble. I used the Lindy Fralin method. Adjust by ear, not with a ruler. Do the neck pickup first. When that sounds the way you want, then do the middle pickup. The bridge pickup is ever so slightly closer to the strings than the other 2. It gives a more balanced sound when split, and a slight volume boost when played alone. I usually favor the neck or neck/middle combo. I use NYXL 9-42’s for maximum bite. The Humbucker is used mostly for soloing. The middle/bridge is used when I play with an organist to get more cut through. The amp also influences the pickup settings. I use a 2 channel 30 combo, or a Tech 21 Trademark 60 If I have more than one flight of stairs to climb for the gig. Like all PRS I have, moving the pickups can completely change the sound of the guitar.
Thanks for this valuable post.
I also changed the original string set for NYXL 9-42, I really like their rendering. Just after this the guitar acquired a new dimension.
I was anxious about a bad wiring, it was simply bad strings and some work to do on the guitar.
So doing this I also fixed the neck, there was a quantity of sawdust there, just as in the pickups and electronics compartments that I have opened to check the wiring.
People did a good job building this guitar but had no time left to clean the dust...
My amp is a H&K GM40 very light for a tube powered amp, adapted to my music tastes.
I agree moving PRS pickups can totally change the sound. I will test your pickup config. Thanks.

I've got a nuanced answer to the Strat comparison. The thing I love about the sound of a Strat neck pick-up, I love even more on the S2 Studio. Every though the body of the guitar isn't not hollowed out (like a Strat) to accomodate the pickups, and even though it doesn't have a maple neck, and doesn't have an ash wood body, it still captures that airy/flute-like tone of Strat neck p/u. I own a Strat (that I never play) and the S2 does a better job of capturing the sound I tried to get with a Strat. The bridge pick-up is also great, very round but still defined. I DID lower the bridge pick-up, btw. The #2 and #4 positions may not be Strat-like, but most single-coil guitars with a 5-way selector will have something in common, and the S2 fits nicely there. Enjoy your better-than-a-Strat guitar. If the Silver Sky came with a 25" neck, I'd buy one of those, too. :)

I've got a nuanced answer to the Strat comparison. The thing I love about the sound of a Strat neck pick-up, I love even more on the S2 Studio. Every though the body of the guitar isn't not hollowed out (like a Strat) to accomodate the pickups, and even though it doesn't have a maple neck, and doesn't have an ash wood body, it still captures that airy/flute-like tone of Strat neck p/u. I own a Strat (that I never play) and the S2 does a better job of capturing the sound I tried to get with a Strat. The bridge pick-up is also great, very round but still defined. I DID lower the bridge pick-up, btw. The #2 and #4 positions may not be Strat-like, but most single-coil guitars with a 5-way selector will have something in common, and the S2 fits nicely there. Enjoy your better-than-a-Strat guitar. If the Silver Sky came with a 25" neck, I'd buy one of those, too. :)
Thank you for sharing your toughts.
I agree on paper S2 Studio is very different from a Start, PRS did a good concept work.
What it appears from first feedbacks is that everyone seems to have its own preferences for pick-up height ;)
I will continue testing, may be lowering them more. Having the D type high gave me some kind of crunch on 4th and 5th positions when amp is on clear channel, I found it interesting but finally I prefer clear on clear and let the crunch channel do it.
I am more puzzled by the 4th position, may be because I play nothing adapted actually ?
Yes Silver Sky look nice.
Thanks

Today I did a global check to see if the change done on the truss rod 2 days ago would have been stable.
Then I discovered something that puzzled me.
On my S2 Studio the distance between the bottom of 6th string on the nut and the fretboard is 1.5 mm (2/32) , the action on the 1st fret being quite 1 mm (quite 3/64)
When I compare to my SE 22 Custom semi-hollow the same 'nut-fretboard' distance is only 1 mm (3/64) and the action is 0,5 mm (1/64).

The string gauge are the same on the S2 where I installed a 9-42, and the SE which is still with its original PRS strings which seems to be 9-42 according PRS web and my feeling.

AND I have more buzz with the S2 when playing upper barre chords as F etc.

Buzz does not go through my amp but I want to reduce it as it is disturbing a lot, and I would appreciate reducing my efforts on the strings for upper frets if something could be done.

Could someone tell me the distance he measures between the bottom of 6th string on the nut and the fretboard on its S2 Studio ?

Thanks

Today I did a global check to see if the change done on the truss rod 2 days ago would have been stable.
Then I discovered something that puzzled me.
On my S2 Studio the distance between the bottom of 6th string on the nut and the fretboard is 1.5 mm (2/32) , the action on the 1st fret being quite 1 mm (quite 3/64)
When I compare to my SE 22 Custom semi-hollow the same 'nut-fretboard' distance is only 1 mm (3/64) and the action is 0,5 mm (1/64).

The string gauge are the same on the S2 where I installed a 9-42, and the SE which is still with its original PRS strings which seems to be 9-42 according PRS web and my feeling.

AND I have more buzz with the S2 when playing upper barre chords as F etc.

Buzz does not go through my amp but I want to reduce it as it is disturbing a lot, and I would appreciate reducing my efforts on the strings for upper frets if something could be done.

Could someone tell me the distance he measures between the bottom of 6th string on the nut and the fretboard on its S2 Studio ?

Thanks

I have never even played a S2 Studio, but my understanding is that on most guitars you want to be around 1.5 mm and 2 mm (0.059” to 0.079”) on the low E and between 1 mm and 1.5 mm (0.039” to 0.059”) on the high E. Make sure to also check your neck relief.

I have never even played a S2 Studio, but my understanding is that on most guitars you want to be around 1.5 mm and 2 mm (0.059” to 0.079”) on the low E and between 1 mm and 1.5 mm (0.039” to 0.059”) on the high E. Make sure to also check your neck relief.
I have checked on other guitars (SE 245 and Fernandes) and they are between 1 and 1.5 on low E = 6th.
So 1.5 seems acceptable but it is the higher value I have found.
May be I will ask a pro about this.
In the meanwhile I gave a new try on the neck, the vibrato was a little high, I reduced the buzz, but still here higher than on the SE 22.
Playing alternatively on the 2 guitars without amp, I remarked that the S2 sounds well, even compared to the semi-hollow.
Next step is changing my fingers :(

I don’t think there is a numerical height that will give you what you want. For me, it’s all in what I hear. Every guitar is different. The d types are 7/64’s of an inch on the treble side, the bridge is 10/64’s. I just tweaked the truss rod because it warmed up here. No final setting until I hear how it sounds. I play clean and funky today, and then kick in a pedal for solos. That’s the sound I got this for.

I don’t think there is a numerical height that will give you what you want. For me, it’s all in what I hear. Every guitar is different. The d types are 7/64’s of an inch on the treble side, the bridge is 10/64’s. I just tweaked the truss rod because it warmed up here. No final setting until I hear how it sounds. I play clean and funky today, and then kick in a pedal for solos. That’s the sound I got this for.
Thank you for advice.

Back