This Is A Great Forum

This is a good forum....and some of actually know what we are talking about (not saying that I'm one of those....haha!). But even when other manufacturers are discussed (see the recent discussions about Tele or SG tones), we don't go down the road of "Ugh....why do you want THAT tone?" and disparage the poster. We keep it cool and mellow. And no one gets made fun of for owning a "lowly" SE or S2 instead of a Core/WL/PS.

TGP is like getting together with your guitar playing buddies and roasting each other over what brand we prefer. The other guitar player in my band switches between his Strats and LPs depending upon the song. I've offered him the use of one of my PRSi many times so that he didn't have to switch so much, but nope, PRS is the devil and are just for "lawyers and doctors". Funny thing, he is a lawyer and I'm an engineer....go figure. But he gets good tone with what he plays on. We still make fun of each other though.

This is a good forum....and some of actually know what we are talking about (not saying that I'm one of those....haha!). But even when other manufacturers are discussed (see the recent discussions about Tele or SG tones), we don't go down the road of "Ugh....why do you want THAT tone?" and disparage the poster. We keep it cool and mellow. And no one gets made fun of for owning a "lowly" SE or S2 instead of a Core/WL/PS.

TGP is like getting together with your guitar playing buddies and roasting each other over what brand we prefer. The other guitar player in my band switches between his Strats and LPs depending upon the song. I've offered him the use of one of my PRSi many times so that he didn't have to switch so much, but nope, PRS is the devil and are just for "lawyers and doctors". Funny thing, he is a lawyer and I'm an engineer....go figure. But he gets good tone with what he plays on. We still make fun of each other though.

Just curious about your buddy...does he think PRS guitars should only be used for practice, not gigging? Mebbe because some PRS guitars actually are works of art and high-level craftsmanship rather than just production pieces, and shouldn't be brought out on the road to gigs or jam sessions? It's like looking a fine Italian sculpture and thinking, "That would look good in my backyard fountain veranda, but not in public view...?"

Just curious about your buddy...does he think PRS guitars should only be used for practice, not gigging? Mebbe because some PRS guitars actually are works of art and high-level craftsmanship rather than just production pieces, and shouldn't be brought out on the road to gigs or jam sessions? It's like looking a fine Italian sculpture and thinking, "That would look good in my backyard fountain veranda, but not in public view...?"

I don't know what his deal is to be exact. I hear a lot of "They are too expensive", "They are too pretty" (this comment made us laugh as he is a gay guy who likes pretty things), "They are too hipster" (again, made us laugh as he is pretty hipster), just about everything from TGP used to try and discredit PRS. He praises my tones (PRS straight into a 2 Channel H combo)....loves the sound of the coil splits. He even talks about how easy I make it seem to fit into the mix by just using pickup selection, volume, and tone (and pick control).....I rarely touch my amp. He's got a massive pedal board and switches guitars.....always messing with something between songs.

As I said, I don't know what his deal is. I've offered to let him use one but it's always a solid "No!". Maybe once he plays one he will realize that his LP and Strat aren't what he thinks they are. He can handle the change in the neck shapes....as it is, he goes between a '59 and a MIM C shape with ease. Great guy and great guitarist.....just head in the sand I guess.I took my WL DGT to rehearsal once (had to smuggle it out as my wife doesn't want it leaving the house) and everyone dug the tone and how it sat in the mix. I offered it to him to play a song or two on....."Nope!"

Doctors and lawyers I guess. I'm just an electrical engineer....guess I don't know any better when it comes to high quality instruments.

I don't know what his deal is to be exact. I hear a lot of "They are too expensive", "They are too pretty" (this comment made us laugh as he is a gay guy who likes pretty things), "They are too hipster" (again, made us laugh as he is pretty hipster), just about everything from TGP used to try and discredit PRS. He praises my tones (PRS straight into a 2 Channel H combo)....loves the sound of the coil splits. He even talks about how easy I make it seem to fit into the mix by just using pickup selection, volume, and tone (and pick control).....I rarely touch my amp. He's got a massive pedal board and switches guitars.....always messing with something between songs.

As I said, I don't know what his deal is. I've offered to let him use one but it's always a solid "No!". Maybe once he plays one he will realize that his LP and Strat aren't what he thinks they are. He can handle the change in the neck shapes....as it is, he goes between a '59 and a MIM C shape with ease. Great guy and great guitarist.....just head in the sand I guess.I took my WL DGT to rehearsal once (had to smuggle it out as my wife doesn't want it leaving the house) and everyone dug the tone and how it sat in the mix. I offered it to him to play a song or two on....."Nope!"

Doctors and lawyers I guess. I'm just an electrical engineer....guess I don't know any better when it comes to high quality instruments.

Huh. The culture lives on in other forums. For same reason, I've never quite considered PRSi as 'pretty' or 'hipster', but maybe when folks play out as much as they do, they see a variety of different things.

I remember a thread some months back that spoke about reverse bias regards PRS guitars (LP & Fender fans discriminating against PRS), but perhaps it's a social thing about what we own, not who we are.

FTR, I did make some changes regards my personality some years ago that included being more peaceful and loving, but no one need be gay or crazy to try to strive for these things. Sometimes change can be in ways that bring about qualities in people that are universally accepted and don't cause controversy.

ddt4OWX

Tried to post a pic (it's my third post) but for some reason it didn't work.

I selected the photo icon & pasted a link to Imgur, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

ddt4OWX

Tried to post a pic (it's my third post) but for some reason it didn't work.

I selected the photo icon & pasted a link to Imgur, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

In Imgur, refresh the page before clicking on the thumbnail image. Then, click where it says "Direct Link" and click "Copy." Revisit this forum and use the icon next to the smiley in the Post Reply window (the one with the 'sun & mountain'(?)) paste the URL into that and follow the prompts.

Your image should post, unless for some reason it's huge. The way to mitigate that it re-upload your Imgur image in a smaller resolution (under upload images: auto-resize) to message boards or 15" monitor size). Then, just repeat the process in my first paragraph.

Back