Thinking hard about pickup pole pieces

So I tried setting up the pole pieces to give even output. But of course this is wrong. Why? Well the human ear doesn’t have a “flat” frequency response. We perceive frequencies as loudest around 1000hz, which is pretty much middle C. The response can be seen if you look at what are known as Fletcher-Munson curves.

So when you set the outputs even, you end up with a very bright sounding instrument. So I used my favorite amp (the Gibson Goldtone RV 30) set somewhat flat and used an a-weighted sound meter to set the pole pieces. This sounds pretty good.

in short those of you setting pole heights by ear are probably doing pretty well.

Your ears are king, no doubt. I've tweaked 4 guitar's pole pieces recently and they are all quite different. The key is each sounds way better than before, so I'm pleased!

I adjusted the polepieces on my cu24 yesterday, and ended up with something only slightly different from the stock height. The example image in the link seems a bit drastic. How much do you guys adjust the poles?

I wouldn't worry about sticking to some arbitrary pattern - but definitely TRY it. That posted pattern worked well for my Paul's (like REALLY well) but not for anything else. The 58/15 MT's in my WL 594 have never been my favorite pu's, I ended up raising the pieces equally, about 1/8" above the covers - and then lowered the pu's a tad, and it's the best place for MY ears. Beware of the rabbit hole! I'm a natural born tweaker and have to fight the urge to grab a screwdriver every time I have a guitar in my hands - which is NOT a good idea!

Back