Pickup pole adjustmnents

Bluesdog Paul

Just for the sake of discussion, does anyone else here adjust the pole screws on their guitar's pickups?

This won't work with fixed-pole pickups (think Fender Strat/Tele), but I read years ago in oneof Dan Erlewine's guitar maintenance and set-up books, that he liked to adjust the poles on humbuckers to follow the next radius. In other words, the poles under the low and high E strings are the lowest, the poles under the A and B strings are slightly up higher, and under the D and G strings are the highest. I tried it over the years with various Gibsons (adjusting to follow the 12 radius necks common to Gibson) and felt it did make a difference tonally and for string balance.

So naturally, I thought I'd give it a try with the 10 radius PRS neck and the humbuckers in it. I didn't expect much of a difference, but after a few tweaks I have to say I like what I hear. I did lower both pickups slightly, as well, which added some warmth overall. Opening up the screw-type pickup poles in the PRS humbuckers gave them a bit more air and life. It really showed when I had the guitar cracked through a Fender Deluxe Reverb at my band's practice.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone else here has ever tried it TIP - let your ears be your guide, so make sure you are plugged into an amp when you are adjusting the pickup and pole piece heights.

I adjust similarly to the fretboard radius. E's flat, A&B half turn, D&G full turn. Gives it a bit more mids which I also like.

I adjust for even volume which usually never matches the radius when I'm done.

I use radius as a starting point, then let my ears do the fine tuning. I agree that it gives the pickups more "air" and dimensional sound.

When you grow up thinking the coolest thing about electric guitars are the low string chuggas and the high string tweetly-doo's, you lose sight of how much meaty goodness there is in the middle strings.

PS, those are real musical terms. Look it up.

I use radius as a starting point, then let my ears do the fine tuning. I agree that it gives the pickups more "air" and dimensional sound.

When you grow up thinking the coolest thing about electric guitars are the low string chuggas and the high string tweetly-doo's, you lose sight of how much meaty goodness there is in the middle strings.

PS, those are real musical terms. Look it up.

I recognizedthosevterms immediately. (lol)

But, I use the same approach by starting with radius and letting my ears guide the final adjustment.

Back