Thinking about Hollowbody?

Mole351

So I just got my first non - SE PRS...it's a beautiful CE 24 that I had no business getting but I had a little extra in my bonus this year and what the wife doesn't know can't hurt her - right? LOL. I'm also not guy who wants/needs a ton of guitars. 1-3 does me right. I have a Strat, a Les Paul studio and now the CE 24. For me - the trifecta.

SO...I'm already gassing only a few months after getting the CE...think it's my midlife crisis but looking for the "one guitar to rule them all" type...or my "forever" guitar. I'm a big Trey Anastasio fan (not trying to copy his tone, but want to be able to get close when I want). A big reason for this is his versatility. I'm looking for something that could pull that off as well as a lot of other stuff.

So I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a PRS hollowbody and unloading the CE, or even the CE and the LP. Everything I read says how great it sounds and how versatile it is. Problem is there's nowhere around here to try one out. And honestly a lot of the YouTube videos leave something to be desired - not really flattering the hollowbody.

Like the CE I have no business getting this, but I'm looking for my "final" guitar - and thinking this could be it.

Thoughts? Worth it? Not worth it? Is there anothe PRS that I could get used in the $2.5k range that can really cover the gamut? I'm also intrigued by the DGT.

Sorry for long post - but thanks for reading!

The first thing to realize is, for all intents and purposes, there is no "final" guitar. Second is that there are remarkable used guitars out there because someone else is looking to move up, and so you get to move up the scale if you don't need "new". After all, I don't know of any new 1954 Strats or 1959 Les Pauls ....

Don't think, just do it.

There are at least 4 Hollowbody's on Reverb to choose from that I would buy today if I had your 2.5k.

Think spruce... no wait, I said don't think. Buy spruce.

I've got one. It will do a lot, but it won't do everything. If you get the piezo it will broaden the range even more. You may end up wanting to keep a solid body around for some stuff. And you will need an acoustic amp.

Never mind! Thought I had missed the boat on the reclaimed ce's but somebody posted this from Dave's guitar shop and I scooped it up. WOW!

Looks like I'll be unloading the CE after all...how quickly things change!

ZEMkPdD.jpg
YhKWTHZ.jpg
nAWF9p8.jpg
gEul17s.jpg

Hahah I posted that!!! :)

Share pics when you get it please!!

Never mind! Thought I had missed the boat on the reclaimed ce's but somebody posted this from Dave's guitar shop and I scooped it up. WOW!

ZEMkPdD.jpg
YhKWTHZ.jpg
nAWF9p8.jpg
gEul17s.jpg

ZEMkPdD.jpg
YhKWTHZ.jpg
nAWF9p8.jpg
gEul17s.jpg

Good things come to those who wait! Congrats for the score. You know they smell kind of fishy, right? If you want to sell it I suspect it will be swooped on ..

Mole - Ha! Picked up one too. Also trying to get closer to the Trey tone...but a full hollow might be too hard to control.

There was a recent podcast (from Tom Marshall) where Trey talked about feedback with his rig. It was pretty insane and a deeper perspective into his sound. Worth a listen.

Congrats on your CE

Hahah I posted that!!! :)

Share pics when you get it please!!

Thank you my friend! Couldn't believe my luck on both seeing your post when I did and that nobody had bought it! Will definitely post pics upon arrival.

Mole - Ha! Picked up one too. Also trying to get closer to the Trey tone...but a full hollow might be too hard to control.

There was a recent podcast (from Tom Marshall) where Trey talked about feedback with his rig. It was pretty insane and a deeper perspective into his sound. Worth a listen.

Congrats on your CE
Thanks for the info - I'll certainly look for that podcast!

Congrats on your CE

Was it one of the under the scales interviews? If not do your know what it was called or how I can find it?

I love guitars that show off the natural beauty of the tone woods we love...... or Mr Smith knows will work because he's a genius. I wonder if we'll see any of these reclaimed wood guitars in Oz ? Time to start Googling !

Enjoy that beauty.

Back