Thick skin

captdg

As I have said before..I really like this board..I learn a lot here and everyone here helps me with any question I have no matter how trivial.. But i would like to say.." I am thick skinned, and dont get offended". I loved having fun on Facebook, me and a lot of my friends I work with cut up.. But there are people , mostly women, who read our posts and want to laugh too.. But I always warn them that our humor even though its not vulgar it is crass at times.. Well this last week I had a friend that made a joke about Chuck E. Cheese and Penn State and this one woman who wasnt on my friends list just lost her mind..It was on my board but I didnt post it..So, I cancelled my account when she called my house(her family knows my family) and left a six minute lambasting of how I was unsympathetic to abused children.. I dont need this in my life right now. But hay..Just wanted to tell everyone here, I can take ribbing..In Fact I believe Laughter is the best medicine!

I did find a luthier that does not want a relationship..He gets out of prison in 2016.:D

DG

I've stayed away from social media since day one. I understand it's value and it's place but it just seems to be too much to me. I've only recently joined the forums, which is something I never would have considered a short while ago, and perhaps the next step is a Facebook account shared only with my friends. We shall see.

I guess in some regards I've let others keep me from having fun. It's been a very hard lesson for me to learn and I'm still working on it daily. I took a step and joined the forums. It's been a good time overall but it's all I can do to contain myself when someone says something I find rude. Like I said it's a tough lesson for me. It's very rare here. Hopefully it's not due to size. I find it much more common elsewhere.

Well said.....I belong to a few veterans clubs, and some of the older vets let radio and TV ruin their day..I didnt get crazy when my friend posted his gaff, (it didnt even mention names) but when the woman called my house, I knew that this wasnt for me..

But hey lets dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmSXewHr-j0

I've posted the odd thing - be it a joke or an opinion - on Facebook and realised it may have unintentionally annoyed some people. Nothing i've regretted though!

If someone oversteps the mark a little I ignore it. Pretty rare i've had to say something.

I hate my friends on Facebook, everybody posts about marriage or Monsanto nowadays. One of the reasons I enjoy it here and on the few other guitar based forums I frequent are the restrictions on religion and politics.

I of course have my own views on those subjects, but I don't feel as though I need to be 100% compatible in those opinions in order to be friends with people. (guitar choice on the other hand is a different story)

I of course have my own views on those subjects, but I don't feel as though I need to be 100% compatible in those opinions in order to be friends with people. (guitar choice on the other hand is a different story)

Agreed. If I could only be friends with people I agree with, well, that would leave just me. And I'm not that much fun. :biggrin:

I love my Facebook, but I do find it requires a degree of self-control in what I post. Even though my privacy is generally set to just friends, I treat everything as if it were public. I've seen a couple of friends unintentionally set off a s**tstorm with a post. I will touch on some things that are off-limits here, but I avoid conflict to a degree.

I'm very thick-skinned, too. I think everyone is entitled to their piece whether I like it or not, but some people end up in a whirlwind if they see something they don't like! It isn't worth the trouble.

Ive decided to accept my Bernie Marsden as my personal fretboard..And they will only be able to take my PRS from me by taking it" From my "Cold Dead hands".. Now..Ive covered all the politics and religion Im gonna cover.. I am grilling out tonight as I have to go on an "Old man diet" tomorrow.. But everyone here is invited, my neighbor is a cop and he plays too..(a Fender squire) so we can be loud , raucous and play "Stairway to Freebird " as loud as we want..Come Over! Lets Boogie!!

(guitar choice on the other hand is a different story)

I own a white guitar. Can I be your friend?

As to the subject of the OP, I avoid Facebook, twitter, etc like the plague.. But I still try to only write things online in forums, email, etc. that I would be comfortable saying face to face with people. I may slip every now and then, but that's my basic goal for what I write - and what I expect to see in return.

Sadly, too many see the internet as a shield for their identities and feel they can act out without reprisal. Imagine how differently internet discourse would be if the recipient were 100 lbs heavier than you (all muscle) and had a short fuse and was sitting at the desk next to you.

Last edited:
Back