There's a Dark Cherry Sunburst finish...is there a Cherry Sunburst finish?

Steven Mal

As in a "Non-dark" Cherry Sunburst finish? Does PRS have any other finishes with a "dark" and non-dark variety?

Yes, back in the olden days there was Cherry Sunburst and also Dark Cherry Sunburst. The dark variety has made comebacks, I think because it's much better looking than the clowny bright variety.

The only similar thing I can think of is there used to be McCarty Sunburst and McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, which just had a darker burst edge.

My CU22 is Dark Cherry Sunburst. It is probably my favorite PRS finish. I have a couple of other PRS guitars that I wish were that finish. I was not a huge fan of the Cherry Sunburst PRS finish. The Dark version fixed all of the things I had issues with in the regular Cherry finish.

Yes, back in the olden days there was Cherry Sunburst and also Dark Cherry Sunburst. The dark variety has made comebacks, I think because it's much better looking than the clowny bright variety.

The only similar thing I can think of is there used to be McCarty Sunburst and McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, which just had a darker burst edge.

Here's my two 90's CE22's. '95 and '97.

The '95 is Tobacco Sunburst. Brown.

The '97 is Cherry Sunburst. Red like an old LP.

My '00 CE22 is a lighter Cherry Sunburst.

Last edited:
Thank you. Cherry sunburst ("dark" or otherwise) is my favorite finish. I've seen the dark cherry sunburst but never encountered a PRS with the regular cherry sunburst. I wasn't sure if dark cherry sunburst was their version of the finish or if they had done both. They both look great in my opinion but it seems that the dark cherry sunburst is more common.

Thank you. Cherry sunburst ("dark" or otherwise) is my favorite finish. I've seen the dark cherry sunburst but never encountered a PRS with the regular cherry sunburst. I wasn't sure if dark cherry sunburst was their version of the finish or if they had done both. They both look great in my opinion but it seems that the dark cherry sunburst is more common.
Remember too that finishes fade.

Those lemon Sunburst 1959 Les Pauls are now 64 years old but they all started life as Cherry Sunburst Les Pauls and faded to a lemon color.

None of them started life looking like a lemon or like iced tea.

They were once as red as this PRS:

Remember too that finishes fade.

Those lemon Sunburst 1959 Les Pauls are now 64 years old but they all started life as Cherry Sunburst Les Pauls and faded to a lemon color.

None of them started life looking like a lemon or like iced tea.

They were once as red as this PRS:
That was a known issue Gibson corrected sometime in 1960.

Those don't fade like the 58-59

Back