The wraparound bridge thread

Huggy Love

Vintage member
So I go on the PRS site and look at the parts store to look at the replacement bridges (adjustable) and my jaw drops. I see standard bridges & posts for $200, an ugly gold anodized thing for $260, an SE w/o posts that I bet doesn't work on USA models for cheap, an adjustable bridge ?FOR A 12-STRING? for almost $600, and nothing for 6-string. Hmmmm............ ok so let's look at other sources & mfgs online.

I find Tonepros, Pigtail, Gotoh, Hipshot, and a couple others. They all for the most part look like crap compared to the real PRS hardware but I like to be open minded and look at everything thoroughly before passing judgement, so please share your thoughts and experiences with this subject.

Spend the $ for real PRS parts?

Why don't they sell an adjustable on their online store?

Are the alternate mfg bridges as bad as they look?

What's up with the ones that have adjusting screws protruding? (I've seen a couple pics online)

Any other mfgs?

Is there some kind of special password or secret handshake to get parts discounts from PRS?

-and-

Why does that Hipshot thing look so wacky?

Last edited:
PRS bridges look nicer than the others you're looking at because of what they are: precision made, custom parts of extremely high quality, the kind you'd want and expect on an expensive guitar, especially something that is important to how the guitar sounds because it actually comes into contact with the strings.

PRS bridges aren't off-the-shelf, garden variety stuff made of pot metal and cheap castings. They're no-holds-barred designs. And as such, they're expensive.

If that's not what you want on your guitar, there are a zillion makers of other stuff.

If you become a Signature Club member there's a discount. It isn't huge, but it helps.

Go here for the PRS wrap around bridge. This is where I brought mine from. http://www.guitarvaultusa.com/ Still not cheap. I got the wrap around with saddles so I can intonate the strings better. I don't regret the purchase.

Last edited:
Is that adjustable wrap tail the same one as on the Zach Myers?

I was considering getting one for my Bernie as the plating is disintegrating on mine. £252 though! I know it's a quality part but I can't justify that as it's getting on for half the price of the guitar.

Icindentally (and apologies for hijacking the thread) but has anyone had the plating actually flake off the bridge? Most has come off the bottom of the bridge but it's starting on top at the back edge. Doubt there's any way to stop it?

I think I actually bought the last two PRS had in stock like six months ago. Sorry! :biggrin:

I'm sure the Schroeders are nice and all, but I can't dig the design. That little hump in the back makes it looks just a tad too ornate for me. I know I'm a picky prick.

Careful if you have aciditic sweat. The first adjustable I bought years ago completely disintegrated after a few years of gigging and jamming. The regular stoptail seems to put up with that a lot longer because of the lack of grooves, nooks and crannies that the adjustable has where the sweat can just eat away at the metal.

Thanks for all the tips, and I agree with what many stated about PRS parts. I've seen all the alternate mfg bridges and would probably go PRS parts on any bridge replacement I may do.
I still think they're overpriced but oh well, we can bury this & on to other G.A.S. induced threads.:408mt:

Back