The 'vintage value' factor

Napoleon was a loser! Here is one of the most famous graphics in history, by Charles Minard in 1869. It is a cartographic depiction of numerical data on a map of Napoleon's disastrous losses suffered during the Russian campaign of 1812. The red line is Napoleon marching to Russia (the width of the line is number of men), and the black line is Napoleon marching back (the width is still the number of men!).

VDhdRPCl.png

As Monty said, “Rule 1, on page one, of the book of war is, “Do not March on Moscow’.”

It’s probably a bit blown-apart!

No, actually, there’s a restaurant in Paris dating to his time that has one in a glass case, there’s another one in a private collection that I read about. There may be more. Dude was the Emperor of France for a while. No doubt he could afford more than one hat.

The one in the restaurant was supposedly left there as collateral for a meal when he was an unknown.

“This was Napoleon’s hat.”

“How do you know that?”

“Has his name right here.”

“So what? Anyone could have written ‘Napoleon’ inside a hat.”

“Ah, sir, but this one has been in my family since 1795. So we know.”

“So do you wear the hat?”

“Oh no! It’s too valuable! It’s worth millions of dollars, and zillions of francs!”

“So it just sits in that case?”

“Oui. Never comes out. Has Napoleon’s sweat stain on the band, right here.”

“Ewww. That’s disgusting! I’d pay not to have that.”

“We have Napoleon’s bed in our home.”

“Does it have the poop stain from when he sh!t the bed at Waterloo?”

Sure, but did you really want the hat, or was it just a passing thought you put out of your head?

And Rule 2 was, "If you must, make sure you wear a scarf and have a change of shoes."

Also bathing facilities, clean clothing, flea powder and antibiotics. A substantial part of Napoleon’s army was killed by typhus, which is caused by lice, ticks, fleas, etc.

Gigantic burial pits for Napoleon’s soldiers were found in Vilnius, Lithuania, where evidence of typhus was discovered in the remains. That they were from Napoleon’s army was evident from clothing scraps and buttons.

“You were there, weren’t you, Les?”

“Nah, I shot myself in the foot and made it back to Paris early.”

Also bathing facilities, clean clothing, flea powder and antibiotics. A substantial part of Napoleon’s army was killed by typhus, which is caused by lice, ticks, fleas, etc.

Gigantic burial pits for Napoleon’s soldiers were found in Vilnius, Lithuania, where evidence of typhus was discovered in the remains. That they were from Napoleon’s army was evident from clothing scraps and buttons.

“You were there, weren’t you, Les?”

“Nah, I shot myself in the foot and made it back to Paris early.”

And the less said about a certain campaign in the 1940's, the better.

Anyway, those vintage prices, eh?

I can’t believe this caliber of humor was lost on the crowd. Napoleon Blown-Apart. Junior High history class was such a better place after this was uttered. I’m glad it’s the Scots that can keep it alive. /me very proud. :cool:

The humour wasn't lost on us, we just held a minute's silence for it, that's all. (Trousers were at half-mast for the rest of the day.)

Michael Jackson party?

I literally have no idea what your reply means!

I suppose it's one of the many problems of an international forum. Some things - mainly humour or odd phrases - are obvious only to those in the poster's locale.

Anyway, to go off on a tangent, I see your Michael Jackson and raise you a chimp.

“I always wondered what happened to all those original ashtray Telecaster pickup covers.”

“They’re probably at the bottom of the ocean with the Titanic, and Gibson autotuners.”

This is a little off topic but what else is new. I have a 55 Telecaster with a somewhat microphonic bridge pickup. That's part of the appeal to me. For some odd reason I decided to put the original ashtray cover on it last night. Not only was the guitar much harder to play, it began to squeal uncontrollably. It's going back to being used as an ashtray as we speak. Of course I don't smoke so I should probably put it away somewhere. I'll sell the guitar at some point and that silly thing will probably bring me some extra money.

This is a little off topic but what else is new. I have a 55 Telecaster with a somewhat microphonic bridge pickup. That's part of the appeal to me. For some odd reason I decided to put the original ashtray cover on it last night. Not only was the guitar much harder to play, it began to squeal uncontrollably. It's going back to being used as an ashtray as we speak. Of course I don't smoke so I should probably put it away somewhere. I'll sell the guitar at some point and that silly thing will probably bring me some extra money.

Sounds like the ashtray was acting as if you've placed a hand over a microphone - near instant feedback. The only solution is to sell the Tele and buy a PRS.

Back