The definition of "vintage"

I got an education on this when I married into a family of antique dealers. When I called something vintage an antique, class was in session.

I was told (and your opinion of this is certainly open to discussion) that vintage was something 20 or more years old. The term antique refers to something at least 100 years old. Neither of these things are to be confused with collectible, which may be nearly any age.

Over the decades since that fateful day, I have found that wisdom to be fairly universally recognized by the professionals in any particular sale of used merchandise. Admittedly, there is always some fudging on what is what, especially when a potential sale hinges on the description!

So, by this definition I am Double Vintage plus, or Semi-Antique.

The real question is this: if those manufacturers had never changed anything and still made the guitars with the same tooling and exactly the same way they always did, would the marketing for "vintage" still exist?

The real question is this: if those manufacturers had never changed anything and still made the guitars with the same tooling and exactly the same way they always did, would the marketing for "vintage" still exist?

Yes, because the guitar nerds would find some reason their guitars don't sound as "good" as the old ones.

Yes, because the guitar nerds would find some reason their guitars don't sound as "good" as the old ones.
I agree.

The trees were healthier, or taller, or older. The glue was stickier. The dye was non GMO. The pickups were wound slower. The winters were colder.

Little do thy know, the real reason they were better was the guitar players had longer hair and better drugs.

I agree.

The trees were healthier, or taller, or older. The glue was stickier. The dye was non GMO. The pickups were wound slower. The winters were colder.

Little do thy know, the real reason they were better was the guitar players had longer hair and better drugs.

I don't disagree with any of this actually. Some guitarists just like nitpicking.

I consider "vintage" in the context of guitars and guitar gear generally to mean pre-1980.

People use the term vintage in regards to PRS and I find it a little strange, but I guess it's more a reference to the history of the company, not that I agree with it.

Back