The Verdict Is In: Pic Heavy S2 Review

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Well, I got my S2 Custom Semi Hollow almost 2 months ago now. Aside from the obligatory NGD, I've been waiting to say much until I had a while to work with the guitar. I know a lot of this might be "old hat" for a lot of the core players here, but this was my first Maryland made PRS after playing SE's, so I'm hoping that some people that are contemplating the step-up might find this helpful. Without further adieu, here we go!

Fit and Finish:
For the most part, this axe has the attention to detail that you would expect from anything in the PRS line. The finish seems to be nice and thin, with no drips or runs anywhere. Sweet!
Some nice magohany grain on the back
15281197513_67a654820e_c.jpg

The fret ends are nice and tight to the edges of the neck:
15713335328_c868278213_c.jpg

I was really surprised with the scarf jointed headstock - I can hardly see it! I usually have to sit for a good 20-30 seconds to pick it out.
See it right there???
15898848701_7ee0d2c52b_c.jpg

Ok, ok, there was a glare. Here's another shot - honestly, the way this pic came out is the most clearly I've ever been able to see the joint!
15713531230_846383c2a4_c.jpg

The heel splice is impossible to pick out - I suspect they darkened the stain/finish over the heel to hide it. A job well done, it looks great (sorry about the glare on this one, couldn't get the overhead light out of the reflection).
15281193593_14b249a38c_c.jpg
[/url]

There are, however, a couple of small issues with the finishing on the guitar. Nothing that causes a problem, by any means, but just for the sake of full disclosure:

A couple of finish flaws in the f-hole area
15713526860_ae17539f9a_c.jpg

15278573804_a9e2f2ee31_c.jpg

The nut is a tiny bit narrower than the fretboard, which leaves a ledge where they meet up:
15714776859_71d222193c_c.jpg

I was surprised that the trem and control cavity covers aren't flush with the body. But, at least they're beveled so there aren't sharp edges. Not a flaw by any means, they feel fine, and it probably saves time not having to route for the covers.
15900821075_8ede5624af_c.jpg

The bird inlays are very nicely done, despite being somewhat plain in texture - it would be great if they had a bit of pearloid look.
15898842921_7be79a29be_c.jpg

None of these small items bother me in the least, just thought I would throw them out there. Overall, still a KILLER job of fit and finish, she's got it where it counts!

Now on to part II...

Last edited:
Hardware:
Lots of nice upgrades on the S2's that have proven to be worth the price. The Phase II tuners are really great. They make stringing the guitar a breeze, even compared to the somewhat similar Grover locking tuners on my SE. None of them are sticky, nice and smooth and super easy to get the guitar perfectly in tune. Plus, these babies are all metal, true to Paul's belief that the plastic parts (bushings, etc) can absorb vibration. Even the lock screws are metal, with a black anodized finish. Cool!
15898840841_4a2089cb73_c.jpg

The nut is cut perfectly for 10's (unlike SE's), no string binding here.
15713518800_7c917f82e2_c.jpg
[/url]

The tremolo bridge (same as used on SE's) has been expertly set up and intonated - it's velvety smooth and has a nice resistance to it. Sometimes floating trems, to me, feel so loose that getting a subtle flutter is tough, but this one's great.
15715059437_ec02485441_c.jpg

My only complaint here is that the tone knob has a lot less resistance than the volume, so they feel vastly different. They both function fine, in terms of having a gradual taper, and the USA lampshades feel fantastic. But I would like the tone knob to have enough resistance that I don't push it halfway around just by touching it.

Playability:
Following a trip with UPS and a small tweak of the truss rod, I've had no fret buzz at all. The medium size frets are very nicely finished, although I would love some jumbo's, but that's just me! The neck is very comfortable, feels slightly smaller than the SE wide fat, but not as small as the wide thin. The thing that blew me away the most about the playability of this axe is the intonation, both in terms of stability and up and down the neck. I'm no dive-bomber, but with moderate trem use, the guitar stays nicely in tune. Plus, fretted notes are spot on, BY FAR the best of any guitar I've owned. How many times have I played a guitar that the G string is out of tune on an E chord, or playing an arpeggio riff higher on the neck, for example, Sweet Child of Mine, and the notes just aren't in tune. Laugh at that riff all you want, but try making it sound in tune on a poorly set up guitar! So if I want to throw in an alternate chord position on the fly, I don't have to worry about it sounding out of tune. Great! The only downer on playability of this axe, to me, is the blade switch. I'm a big fan of the toggle, not so much because of the actual switch type, but because of the position. If you've got the trem arm in, and in the throes of melodic passion you want to switch pickups, you've gotta go up and over the arm, grab the selector and move it, and then come back over the arm and play again. With the position the old toggle was in, you still have to watch out for the arm a bit, but it's an easier flick of the wrist.
15714772939_fd6c80c257_c.jpg

Plus, if you flick your trem arm out of the way during a song, look where it ends up - watch out!
15898833531_09c5f28d3e_c.jpg

It's not going to keep me from playing this guitar at all, but if I could change one thing, this would probably be it. But the toggle vs. blade topic goes a lot deeper than the S2 line, so we'll move on to the king of all topics...

Tone!
TALK ABOUT TONE. If I had to describe the sound of this guitar, I would say it has a slightly vintage flavored, predominantly mid-heavy tone, plenty of bass without sounding boomy, and smooth, mellow highs. Between the semi-hollow construction and the pickups, this guitar has a tonal signature that you can't really pin in any certain category. The first thing my bandmates said when I plugged it in at band practice for the first time was "wow, that thing sounds powerful!" Not in terms of high output, just a beefy, full tone. Acoustically, the f-hole/semi-hollow aspect adds a lot of resonance. While it doesn't have a lot of high end zing, this guitar just sings and sustains with a vintage flavored, mid-focused voice. Imagine having a touch of the slightly mellowed, 335 style attack, while also having the singing violin quality that PRS guitars are known for, and that's what you get here. The neck and bridge humbuckers are very nicely balanced, often I find neck humbuckers to be too muddy and bassy, but they contrast perfectly here. The split tone on the bridge is insanely good too - not as bright as some other split bridge HB's, much easier to get a nice, meaty single coil sound that has some depth mixed with the twang. The trade off here is that the neck pickup has a bit less zing when split too. It doesn't have the full strat-esque snap and thump for those wanting to play SRV blues licks. Although mellower, it can be a useful tone... it's just not my first pick. But granted, this is a semi-hollow guitar with totally different wood from a strat, so it's going to have it's own character.

So, there you have it! There are a few minor points for improvement, but in my experience with SE's, this S2 is definitely worth the extra money paid. The out-of-the-box quality is definitely there. When something bothers me I tweak it, but I have no plans to mod anything here. And honestly, compared to my modded-out SE's (which I still love), this S2 trumps them. The Custom Semi-Hollow might not be for everyone, but if you can find something in the S2 line that fits your groove, I say go for it!

15898832501_5eb6871190_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Andy for the lengthy and detailed review
now i know what i would expect exactly if and when i order an S2 single cut maybe?

:top:

Very nice review, and much ado about something this good is a good thing (adieu is French for goodbye, ado Elizabethan English for a fuss, and yes I know I'm being picky but I love words).

Great looking guitar and very nicely written review. FWIW every S2 I've ever encountered have been tone monsters just like any core guitar. They just don't have those finer details.

One of the best precise guitar reviews Andy I have seen on the board here, very detailed.
Enjoy the guitar, it is nice looking.

I haven't see an S2 this up close before. I an definitely interested in taking one for a test drive. I'm kind of surprised Tag hasn't worked out an endorsement deal on this one :)

Very nice review! I think you should start reviewing all sorts of gear, following that same text/pic format! It really was a great read for us gear fanatics. I'm glad you like your S2. It looks like it's a great guitar. I had an SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24 once. The trem was flawless and the tuners were great too. I didn't care for the flat, slab body, and the pickups were too hot(clean tones were poor to say the least) and at that time they didn't offer split options - this was when they first came out with the SE line.
It appears that your S2 is a massive upgrade from the SE's. I'm glad they kept the same great trem. I like the solid trem arm without the little plastic end on it. The Fender American Deluxe strats have the same style trem arms and that's what I'm used to. I want to get one for my Custom 22 (core).
Thanks again for the review, you should write gear demos for online magazines!

Nice upclose review and guitar Andy.
I think the only concern I've come across with the S2 are the pots.

Nice review. Thanks for posting.

I just have one question: where did you get the Private Stock pillow?

Excellent review and very well written . I can honestly say , at first I wasn't sold on the s2's but giving the benefit of the doubt, they are very much prs . I love playing mine and everything is top notch.

Nice review, Andy! I've been waitin' to hear about one of us getting some hands-on time with this model.

The only downer on playability of this axe, to me, is the blade switch. I'm a big fan of the toggle, not so much because of the actual switch type, but because of the position. If you've got the trem arm in, and in the throes of melodic passion you want to switch pickups, you've gotta go up and over the arm, grab the selector and move it, and then come back over the arm and play again.

Seriously,... this the only thing keeping me from getting a white version of this guitar (or any other new PRS).

Back