The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

Can anyone confirm whether Phase III locking tuners are a drop-in replacement for the vintage tuners now shipping with 594's? Did some searching and did not come up with a conclusive answer to this...
Yes, they are. I put a set of Phase III on my 2020 with no modification necessary.

While I love my core 594 that i bought new last year, it took quite awhile to find the sound i wanted. Turns out the LT pickups were the problem. I found a 58/15 bridge pickup, threw it in and man the guitar sounds awesome now. IMHO the LT's need a bit more punch and I've read and heard many many people talk about the same thing, that they love the guitar but want to change the pickups. I'm a DC guy and i was disappointed that they beefed up the SC models but not the DC's. Not sure why that is. I'm sure I could order but don't want to go thru that. Given that, while I've never played one, the McCarty pickups are 58/15 plated and I imagine if you took one or two covers off you'd get quite the punch that I need. Would love advice as to whether or not (for those that play both) the 58/15's in the McCarty really gives the guitar a nice punch over the LT's in the 594's. I just wish they had given us the same pickup option on the DC's. thanks

That comes down to personal preference. The McCarty 594 was designed and built to capture that vintage 59 Les Paul type vibe and the 58/15 LT's are part of that equation. The output is similar to those early PAF's too so they are 'perfect' for that and fit very well into that vibe. The 58/15's do have more punch and perhaps fit better if you want the more modern punch you get from more classic (compared to vintage) Les Paul's and why they work really well in the McCarty too. They obviously got something right as the 594 has proven to be very popular but if you want something with a bit more punch, then upgrading to the 58/15's may well be the answer for you.

I do have the 58/15's in my Special although these are the 58/15 MT's and they do have a bit more punch. I don't find the 58/15 LT's lacking though and you may find a boost pedal gives you a bit more oomph from them. I tend to go for plated humbuckers myself - unless they have the squabbins like the 85/15's as they fit the pick-up rings better and don't leave that ugly gap around the edge - personal preference again. There are a lot of choices for great and hotter pick-ups if they don't offer the sound you want but that also moves the 594 away from its original concept. It was built because people had no idea what a 'real' Gibson 58 Burst was like - only the re-issues and the chance of many ever getting to play one is extremely unlikely so Paul set about making the 594 - with the modern build quality and reliability that PRS are known for. The essence was to recreate that 'vintage' sound and so the 58/15 LT was born. Putting in different pick-ups does change that - makes it just another almost generic Les Paul copy - not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what you want but it does move it away from that 'vintage' vibe it was built to capture...

While I love my core 594 that i bought new last year, it took quite awhile to find the sound i wanted. Turns out the LT pickups were the problem. I found a 58/15 bridge pickup, threw it in and man the guitar sounds awesome now. IMHO the LT's need a bit more punch and I've read and heard many many people talk about the same thing, that they love the guitar but want to change the pickups. I'm a DC guy and i was disappointed that they beefed up the SC models but not the DC's. Not sure why that is. I'm sure I could order but don't want to go thru that. Given that, while I've never played one, the McCarty pickups are 58/15 plated and I imagine if you took one or two covers off you'd get quite the punch that I need. Would love advice as to whether or not (for those that play both) the 58/15's in the McCarty really gives the guitar a nice punch over the LT's in the 594's. I just wish they had given us the same pickup option on the DC's. thanks

The 594 is meant to be a vintage LP in sound with modern playability, features and PRS fit and finish. The 58/15LT is a big component of the sound. I get that the pickup doesn't work for you, but for me if the 58/15LT had more punch I wouldn't like it as much. To my ear, it's a perfect fit for the guitar's intention.

My understanding (and this could be completely wrong) is that the SC 58/15LT+ have a bit more midrange push to compensate for the bigger mass of the body (due to only having a single cut). I don't think they're really any hotter than the 58/15LT in the DC, but do have a different EQ shape......I think.

Another option is to use an EQ pedal.

I know we're always chasing tone and that's a fun and never-ending quest.

Man did you it it on the head about chasing tone. Like you said, I think it's fun and part of the experience. The 58/15 in the bridge works really well for the extra kick. Slight, but enough. Love my 594 but my favorite is my CU22 with 85/15's. My favorite pickup but would be too hot for the 594. Another guy on the forum swapped his bridge out with a custom S Duncan at 8.04 ohm and said it pairs perfectly with his 594. He left LT in neck. As long as they make us happy, all good. Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.

Man did you it it on the head about chasing tone. Like you said, I think it's fun and part of the experience. The 58/15 in the bridge works really well for the extra kick. Slight, but enough. Love my 594 but my favorite is my CU22 with 85/15's. My favorite pickup but would be too hot for the 594. Another guy on the forum swapped his bridge out with a custom S Duncan at 8.04 ohm and said it pairs perfectly with his 594. He left LT in neck. As long as they make us happy, all good. Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.

I'm with you on the 85/15. I have a 2408 with the TCI 8515, and that guitar soloing over the 594 rhythm tracks is simply magical for me.

Here's a tune with the 594 doing all the rhythm duty and the 2408 covering the lead lines.....

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/lockdown

This one is all 594. I tried to get some distinctly different tones...

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/594-demo

Man you got me beat by a longshot. Great playin and guitars sound awesome. I’m enjoying my 594 a lot more with 58/15 in bridge but my CU with 85/15’s blows em all out.
I’m looking at a McCarty with the TCI 58/15’s in both positions. Thoughts on that guitar/pickups?
It would just be different from everything else I have. Appreciate it.

I've have the TCI 58/15LT, 57/08, TCI 85/15 and a D-style singe coil with the Starla bridge. I'm happy to comment on what my ears tell me, but I can't make an informed statement about the 58/15.

Does my 2019 (completed 23rd Dec 2019) McCarty 594 Hollowbody ii count in this? It does have the Nitro and TCI process applied to the pick-ups - just not the Vintage tuners as expected for the 2020 models? Is it welcome in the 2020 594 Love thread??

My PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody ii front...

and Back...

and the Old School Birds...

The whole guitar...

And as this picture shows, it has the phase III locking tuners - and I prefer the look of the buttons too. love the Rosewood veneer they used here too...

And I love this pic as it shows off the double faux binding...

Anyway, this is my (almost) 2020 McCarty 594 Hollowbody ii...

Man, that is lovely! I'm not a fan of the color red except on guitars. It just works on this one!

I know the factory has been shut down and PRS is behind, but do you all feel that is the reason there are so few 2019-20 McCarty's available? I love my 594 and am looking for a DC McCarty with the different neck and pickups but I can't seem to find many. Opinions as to why the new 19 and 20's are so scarce? thx

I know the factory has been shut down and PRS is behind, but do you all feel that is the reason there are so few 2019-20 McCarty's available? I love my 594 and am looking for a DC McCarty with the different neck and pickups but I can't seem to find many. Opinions as to why the new 19 and 20's are so scarce? thx

McCartys simply seem to be in less demand than the various 594s and it's well known that PRS doesn't build 'em if they don't sell.

Good point. I love my 594, was just looking for something different as I have a P Stock CU22 and 24 along with the 594. I really don't need a tremelo and like the stoptail because I think they stay in tune better. I like the simplicity of the McCarty for something different but can't seem to find the right color and hardware scheme. Ton of black gold wrap which won't work for me.
Was also thinking of a Paul's guitar for something different. I buy all core but won't buy another P Stock. Love mine but big money.. thx

Good point. I love my 594, was just looking for something different as I have a P Stock CU22 and 24 along with the 594. I really don't need a tremelo and like the stoptail because I think they stay in tune better. I like the simplicity of the McCarty for something different but can't seem to find the right color and hardware scheme. Ton of black gold wrap which won't work for me.
Was also thinking of a Paul's guitar for something different. I buy all core but won't buy another P Stock. Love mine but big money.. thx
I definitely recommend playing a Paul's asap! :cool: I can't stand hanging mine back on the wall.

I definitely recommend playing a Paul's asap! :cool: I can't stand hanging mine back on the wall.

Appreciate the input. Have been looking at those quite a bit along with the McCarty because again, it would be so different than what I have. Hesitation on both is the wider neck. I have 5 PRS guitars, 4 pattern thin and of course the vintage on my 594. Was the thicker neck a big adjustment or is it slight? I fairly big hands so would assume I'd be ok with it. What are key points that make it so awesome for you? thanks much.

Appreciate the input. Have been looking at those quite a bit along with the McCarty because again, it would be so different than what I have. Hesitation on both is the wider neck. I have 5 PRS guitars, 4 pattern thin and of course the vintage on my 594. Was the thicker neck a big adjustment or is it slight? I fairly big hands so would assume I'd be ok with it. What are key points that make it so awesome for you? thanks much.
If you like Pattern Vintage, you should like Pattern just fine. I have both. I don’t get along with Pattern Thin.

I'm fairly neck agnostic :D but to me, it's not much different than the pattern 594. I also have a couple wide thins, and now I'm starting to think they feel too skinny, but I still like them :p Did I mention necks don't bother me?

I'm just digging the overall feel, the options with the switches, the weight - and I love the pickups - they aren't like anything I've ever had. It just feels like gold man!

I gave in to temptation and so far it feels good. Hopefully, it arrives when my wife is at work so we don’t have to have a discussion about how my priorities are all eff’ed up. :eek: Then, some other day when she notices it I can say,”Oh, I’ve had this. You hadn’t seen it before?” Classic Marriage Shenanigans.

B55-D55-A1-C190-4-A39-89-E6-92022-A4-E0844.jpg

A361-A2-CE-F87-A-42-FB-B976-34-E03-D414-C9-F.png

I gave in to temptation and so far it feels good. Hopefully, it arrives when my wife is at work so we don’t have to have a discussion about how my priorities are all eff’ed up. :eek: Then, some other day when she notices it I can say,”Oh, I’ve had this. You hadn’t seen it before?” Classic Marriage Shenanigans.

B55-D55-A1-C190-4-A39-89-E6-92022-A4-E0844.jpg

A361-A2-CE-F87-A-42-FB-B976-34-E03-D414-C9-F.png
Nice!

Back