The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

Appreciate the input. Have been looking at those quite a bit along with the McCarty because again, it would be so different than what I have. Hesitation on both is the wider neck. I have 5 PRS guitars, 4 pattern thin and of course the vintage on my 594. Was the thicker neck a big adjustment or is it slight? I fairly big hands so would assume I'd be ok with it. What are key points that make it so awesome for you? thanks much.

I have an SE CU24 with a wide-thin (which I love,) and I just recieved an S2 594. My hands are pretty much average and while the difference is noticeable, the Pattern Vintage neck on the 594 was certainly comfortable. I had no trouble with stretching to hit notes, and open position cords are a cinch. I think a lot of it has to do with the asymmetry of the neck carve that follows what your hand tends to do naturally as you go higher. It's more comfortable than any old style Les Paul neck I've handled.

Hope that helped!

Appreciate the input. Have been looking at those quite a bit along with the McCarty because again, it would be so different than what I have. Hesitation on both is the wider neck. I have 5 PRS guitars, 4 pattern thin and of course the vintage on my 594. Was the thicker neck a big adjustment or is it slight? I fairly big hands so would assume I'd be ok with it. What are key points that make it so awesome for you? thanks much.

All PRS necks - with exception of the Pattern Regular - are the same width at the nut and at the body - the Pattern Regular is the same width at the body too but has a slightly narrower width at the nut. All but the Pattern Regular are 1 11/16" (42.8625mm) at the nut and the Pattern Regular is 1 21/32" (42.0688mm). They would be classed as 43mm at the Nut width with the Pattern Regular classed as a 42mm nut so in general the width is not a big difference at all between any of the PRS neck shapes.

The thickness is not that different either in my opinion. Both the Pattern and Pattern Regular are 27/32" (21.4mm) at the nut compared to 25/32 (19.8mm) with the Pattern thin - which is just 1.6mm difference but all those 3 have the same basic shape neck so don't feel radically different. The Pattern Vintage is the Thickest neck of the Pattern shapes at 28.5/32 - which is 22.6mm - at the nut so with the thinnest neck being 19.8mm, there is less than 3mm difference between the thickest and thinnest of the Pattern Necks.

I own at least 1 of every Pattern neck shape and the Pattern Vintage is the most different but even that is not as much to adjust to as getting used to the different layouts of the guitars. Going from my Custom 24 with its Pattern Thin to my 594 with its Pattern Vintage is absolutely NO issue at all for me as far as the neck is concerned and even less so going to a Pattern or Pattern Regular as they feel so similar. The Pattern Vintage feels 'broken in' - as if its worn asymmetrically over years of playing and doesn't feel 'thick'.

As you have a Pattern Vintage yourself, then you already have the thickest, widest (not that its any wider than the Pattern or Pattern Thin) neck so any of the other Pattern Necks shouldn't feel overly thick or wide and has a very similar shape as the Pattern Thin as this illustration shows.

neck-carves-jpg.6478

This also gives you the measurements so you can see the width is the same at the body and only the Pattern Regular is slightly narrower (1/32") at the nut - but does share the same thickness as the Pattern. With the Radius at 10" - especially if you are used to a 25" scale, then the differences between the vast majority of PRS guitars are minimal.

I gave in to temptation and so far it feels good. Hopefully, it arrives when my wife is at work so we don’t have to have a discussion about how my priorities are all eff’ed up. :eek: Then, some other day when she notices it I can say,”Oh, I’ve had this. You hadn’t seen it before?” Classic Marriage Shenanigans.

B55-D55-A1-C190-4-A39-89-E6-92022-A4-E0844.jpg

A361-A2-CE-F87-A-42-FB-B976-34-E03-D414-C9-F.png

Congratulations - she is a beauty!!

Hope she brings you a lot of Joy and fun...

There is a very easy way to add 'new' PRS guitars with minimal hassle from disapproving partners - that is pick a favourite PRS colour and stick to buying guitars in that colour. As long as you have at least 1 Double Cut and 1 Single Cut, maybe 1 with an F hole too if you like semi and hollowbody guitars, then unless your partner is a Guitarist, they wouldn't know the difference between a 594, Cu24, Cu22, P24, DGT, 594 HBii, HBii Piezo etc etc.

Ask them what guitars you have and they will tell you what guitars you have by colour, the red, the purple, the orange, the black etc so if all are Fire Burst Red for example, they couldn't tell if you suddenly had a new guitar arrive - unless they find the evidence of the Box or Receipt.

Thank you, Mozzi.

Hahahaha, that’s another good technique to keep the wife at bay. You’re right about the guitar colors. She does recognize brands, but I’m certain that she can’t distinguish models. I like how you think. :cool:

I definitely recommend playing a Paul's asap! :cool: I can't stand hanging mine back on the wall.

Bought a 2020 Paul's, should have it by Friday. It's the most different of all of the other PRS guitars I have so that's what swayed me. Looks awesome, a ton of tonal options and if it's good enough for Paul I'm sure I'll be happy. Lookin forward to it.

Bought a 2020 Paul's, should have it by Friday. It's the most different of all of the other PRS guitars I have so that's what swayed me. Looks awesome, a ton of tonal options and if it's good enough for Paul I'm sure I'll be happy. Lookin forward to it.
Aw yeah! Congrats!

2020 Pauls guitar arrived Friday and it's awesome. Thanks for everyone's input. It's totally different than my other PRS guitars in many ways, but bottom line it looks cool, is very comfortable to play and sound is amazing. I play thru a Fractal AX8 and tones are incredible.
Something everyone needs to know: I purchased this guitar from the UK, had it shipped to US and the dealer was fantastic. Problem we ran in to was there is a new covid/toxic ingredients form required from dealers that was not included with the shipment and it got stuck in customs in TN for 3 days. I had to bust ass to get it out. Phone calls to FedEx, many calls to customs, emails, etc and they finally released. Please note that if you ever have a guitar shipped here, make sure dealer includes all the forms, new and old or you'll have the same problem. SO frustrating as it sat and sat until they decided to let her go. Well worth it. Guitar is awesome! thx much.

2020 Pauls guitar arrived Friday and it's awesome. Thanks for everyone's input. It's totally different than my other PRS guitars in many ways, but bottom line it looks cool, is very comfortable to play and sound is amazing. I play thru a Fractal AX8 and tones are incredible.
Something everyone needs to know: I purchased this guitar from the UK, had it shipped to US and the dealer was fantastic. Problem we ran in to was there is a new covid/toxic ingredients form required from dealers that was not included with the shipment and it got stuck in customs in TN for 3 days. I had to bust ass to get it out. Phone calls to FedEx, many calls to customs, emails, etc and they finally released. Please note that if you ever have a guitar shipped here, make sure dealer includes all the forms, new and old or you'll have the same problem. SO frustrating as it sat and sat until they decided to let her go. Well worth it. Guitar is awesome! thx much.
I knew you were going to love it! Congrats!

I knew you were going to love it! Congrats!

Pne of these is on my radar at the moment.

I'm new to the forum and I'm keen about the new 2020 McCarty 594. From what I've been reading I'm getting a strong pull to learn more about this guitar. This may be a future guitar for me. :)
Cheers, Don

I'm new to the forum and I'm keen about the new 2020 McCarty 594. From what I've been reading I'm getting a strong pull to learn more about this guitar. This may be a future guitar for me. :)
Cheers, Don
You won't regret it, no matter which flavor of 594 you get. If you've not played one you're in for a treat. If you can get a BRW neck, even better :D Mine is so resonant that the trees around the house move with each note, it's surreal.

Cheers, Don

You really should get a 594, Don. It’s such a nice guitar to play. The pickups are fantastic. I love everything about the 594.

:D Mine is so resonant that the trees around the house move with each note, it's surreal.

Even Mother Nature approves!

You really should get a 594, Don. It’s such a nice guitar to play. The pickups are fantastic. I love everything about the 594.

Even Mother Nature approves!
Well she didn't, initially. She was rather p1ssed, to be honest. Thought I was toying with her domain. I had to make her realize it was a PRSi, and then, and ONLY then was she ok with it. Even kind of gave me that approving mother nature look, if you know what I mean?! :cool:

Back