The Ultimate Klon Pedal Blindfold Challenge - 10 Pedals

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I'm a Klon guy. I love the way they beef up a Strat or Silver Sky and the way I can use my guitar's volume control to go from clean to overdrive.

Started off using clones like the Aluminum Falcon, then in 2010, Bill Finnigan, the original designer and maker, released the Klon KTR, and I became the owner of a "real one".

I found this video pitting 9 new Klon pedals against a real Klon Centaur in a blindfold test.

I know which one's I liked best, and one of them is the Wampler Tumnus. I have one. But there's four that sounded really good to me.

Curious which one YOU think sounds best.

Last edited:
Listening on my computer, I couldn't hear any difference. Wish they had included the Bad Cat Siamese Drive because I own one and am curious to know how close it is to these pedals.

S
Listening on my computer, I couldn't hear any difference. Wish they had included the Bad Cat Siamese Drive because I own one and am curious to know how close it is to these pedals.
The thing with a Klon is how it makes you feel. It's not just how it sounds. It's interactive.

You can't communicate that feeling listening to someone else testing them.

Still, my top four were the Centaur, Ceriatone, Wampler and Way Huge.

I have a Wampler as well as a Klon KTR. I don't hear (or feel) much difference in tone between them. I can make either one sound like the other one.

Had a Soul Food for a while. Gave it away. It was....ok. Just ok.

I'd be interested in the Tumnus Deluxe, if the gain switch was a stomp instead of toggle. Way Huge is always good stuff too.

I'd be interested in the Tumnus Deluxe, if the gain switch was a stomp instead of toggle. Way Huge is always good stuff too.

I liked the Wampler Tumnus, Way Huge, original Centaur and Cerriatone. They all sounded about the same but sounded better to me than the others.

Last edited:
I’ve got one of the Ryra Klone pedals, and it’s a very good sounding unit. I’ve never played on a genuine Centaur, but did own a KTR for a good while, and the Ryra was easily a match for it. I don’t have any experience with the others, but recommend the Ryra highly.
Yeppers, I've got RYRA Klone #16, a "Sun-Faced" etched model. Best pedal on my board, it's always on, and has been for years. I've listened to many other klones since, but none of them have moved me to change.

I was on the Klon list back in the day and got tired of waiting and cancelled my order. Dumb. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

I did have the opportunity to use a real Klon (silver horse version) a few years back for a week or so. I seriously considered paying asking price back then. One of the truly great pedals IMO.

I have tried a couple of real Klon pedals and they are special :)
I don't live in that zip code ( price wish ) for a pedal , I have a NUX Horseman and its close enough for me + with my stuff I like the silver one better and the Nux can do that.

5-D9-D4913-6647-4-C95-8994-024-AE3-CC073-C.jpg
I own the Tumnus Deluxe. Does everything a Klon will do and more. If you are looking for a versatile Klon, then look no further than the Deluxe.

I've been interested in the Tumnus and Tumnus Deluxe, but I've always wanted to do my own real shootout between the two. I know how adding more circuitry can add more flexibility, but can also reduce the purity of the curcuit... I know the Deluxe is more versatile, but does it lose any of the magic in trade for versatility? Until I can compare both, I'll never know. I'd sure like to hear opinions from anyone who has tried both though.

I forgot to mention that I bought a ARC effects Klon Klone (2nd version I think) for my Son. To my ear it sounds really close as well. I'm not sure if they're still in business any more but it scratches that itch for him.

Skip to 3:30 ;)

And for what it's worth: I have a Wampler gearbox (Tumnus and Pinnacle),

Back