The Recipe: Right Amp For The Right Guitar For The Song...

The V-Twin, with its preamp, is a fairly credible direct box, so there's that...you might consider trying a software amp modeler, the sound is probably more like an amp than just running pedals direct, though.
I would if I expected to be without an amp for very long. The V-Twin will satisfy my needs for the next 10 days.

The factors that I can't fight - certain guitars/pedals/amps for certain situations and applications - has spurred another round of inner discussion and gear experimentation. Let's face it: we all have our favorite stuff, especially guitars. Some I prefer because it's a superior feeling (physically) instrument, like Mr. Clean. Others are because of the sonic diversity and clarity, like my new Boogiecaster. Then there are the beasts that make you grin every time, like the ES-335. But what if it just doesn't sonically solve the band-sound puzzle? To date, I've compromised for the sake of the sound, or the mix, to be specific. Sitting uniquely in our soundscape has been goal #1. But I want to play Mr. Clean!!! This got me thinking...

A DGT Standard has this beautiful warmth that only an all 'hog instrument can possess. Combine that with an amp that has strong low end and, by itself, it is like drinking a fine cognac...strong, warm, mellow note with a smooth and complex finish. Try mixing it with a brash bourbon. Similar in a basic way but too dissimilar to blend well and have each one's character remain. How can I put the maple top character into this standard and make it step out when soloing, AND blend well with the other guitarist's ES-335 (Yes, I could buy a maple top DGT, but it won't be Mr. Clean)?

Pedals won't do it completely without changing the characteristics of a particular guitar you want to preserve. Cranking in the EQ of the BB Preamp goes the wrong direction. Plus, the BB pales to the KTR+EP Booster for the "holy sh*t, that's good" factor. Other pedals could EQ it where I want but that disrupts the balance and generally f's with The Force. Bad idea. So, the pedalboard becomes a constant.

From out in left field, I swap out the PRS 1x12 with V30 for a Boogie 2x12 with C-90s. At face value, meh. It's all of the same character that I pushed aside several years ago for the DG school of bar-gigging guitarists. But then I thought about it...really thought...and intensely listened. It's that character that sticks out in a mix in a good way. By itself, in my cave, it sounds good, but not my fav, but in the live band setting, it show promise. As silly as a vertical 2x12 might sound on a small bar stage, it brings a new option to the table. This might present the compromise I've been looking for.

We do several drop-D tunes, so I'll be swapping guitars periodically, but otherwise, the DGT could come back to the rotation, finally. What have you guys compromised to play your favorite gear?

What have you guys compromised to play your favorite gear?

What a great question!

The only one I can think of is the move from a 50 Watt HXDA to a 30. I loved the openness and beauty of the 50's tone, but I was shaking the room too much to be able to get the most out of it in my studio, so I switched.

I'd still prefer the 50, but I have to say I'm living quite happily with the 30 - for its intended purpose. If I played out, I'd gig with a 50 in most rooms.

On another front...

I played through my DG30 a long time with the gain a little over halfway up. I did this to be able to roll the guitar volume down a little for a truly clean tone when needed.

But the amp seems to be a bit juicier in the midrange when the gain's up to about 2/3. I can still roll the guitar volume down to a clean sound, but probably more than I'd like to prevent the pickups from thinning out.

It occurred to me that since the Lone Star's clean channel is pretty good, I can leave the DG's gain at 2/3, and simply switch to the Lone Star when I want a spanky clean sound.

The DG30's master volume easily accommodates the level adjustment that's necessary to keep the room from rattling apart. ;)

So, another little piece of my tone puzzle is solved for now.

Back