The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

I'm wondering the same. I thought that the 594 hype will split between that and the new SC594, but apparently the SC is not as desirable.

I've tried to read through this thread, to ascertain what would be the subtle tone differences between the single cut and the double cut 594's. It appears to be about 1 pound of mahogany difference. Has anybody been able to compare side-by-side. I believe I'll end up with one of these, it looks like the double cut might have Slightly better access to the 22nd fret, I also kind of like the idea of an 7.5 pound guitar versus a 8.5 pound guitar. So any opinions forming on tonal differences between the 2 nearly identical versions? I'm quite sure I'll be overjoyed with either version. My Tremonti's fat body sometimes gets in the way of grabbing the 22nd fret quickly.

Cheers

MApete could enlighten us for sure!
IIRC He said that his SC594 is a keeper and sounds like no other guitar, its his #1 but he has 594s for having the "other" option. If you can have only one, he recommends the doublecut. More comfortable, lighter and versatile.
Please, Pete, correct me if I´m wrong.

I've tried to read through this thread, to ascertain what would be the subtle tone differences between the single cut and the double cut 594's. It appears to be about 1 pound of mahogany difference.

There's more to it than just the mass.

A Singlect neck is attached to the body higher up on one side than a double cut. That makes it stiffer, it'll vibrate a little differently, and it sounds a little different in the lower mids, etc.

I love my PRS doublecuts, but my Singlecuts have been my #1 models ever since PRS introduced them. There's something very satisfying about them, and I can't really explain it. But I sure like it!

I've tried to read through this thread, to ascertain what would be the subtle tone differences between the single cut and the double cut 594's. It appears to be about 1 pound of mahogany difference. Has anybody been able to compare side-by-side. I believe I'll end up with one of these, it looks like the double cut might have Slightly better access to the 22nd fret, I also kind of like the idea of an 7.5 pound guitar versus a 8.5 pound guitar. So any opinions forming on tonal differences between the 2 nearly identical versions? I'm quite sure I'll be overjoyed with either version. My Tremonti's fat body sometimes gets in the way of grabbing the 22nd fret quickly.

Cheers

I have indeed had the opportunity to compare a few "side-by-side". More than a Baker's Dozen of DC's against a Holy-Grail Private Stock SC 594 Prototype. ;)

The Doublecut's DEFINITELY are more ergonomically friendly, thinner, on average lighter, also more compact - meaning your left hand is closer into your body. I love that about them, having been gigging the DC 245 for 7 years, and the DC 594 feels very similar in that regard, but better to me as I like the scale length A LOT better! 3/32" of an inch doesn't sound like a lot, but holy cow is it different, at least for me.

Definitely easier access to the upper frets as well.

MApete could enlighten us for sure!
IIRC He said that his SC594 is a keeper and sounds like no other guitar, its his #1 but he has 594s for having the "other" option. If you can have only one, he recommends the doublecut. More comfortable, lighter and versatile.
Please, Pete, correct me if I´m wrong.

Yes, you nailed what I would say, Basauri! ;)

I love my SC 594, but the DC 594 would be my primary gigging guitar if I were playing out right now, and also if I could one have one guitar, it would be the DC, no question.

Thankfully, I am able to have more than one!! (Whew!) :)

There's more to it than just the mass.

A Singlect neck is attached to the body higher up on one side than a double cut. That makes it stiffer, it'll vibrate a little differently, and it sounds a little different in the lower mids, etc.

I love my PRS doublecuts, but my Singlecuts have been my #1 models ever since PRS introduced them. There's something very satisfying about them, and I can't really explain it. But I sure like it!

I agree Les, there is just something satisfying about them, something subtly different than their Doublecut counterparts. That was the case for the DC and SC 245's, and translates through for me with the DC and SC 594's.

I can't explain it either, but I do believe a key part is the difference of the body being attached to the neck very differently, as Les mentions above. I believe more so that than the weight or the thickness.

With my years of collecting many fine examples of very similar DC and SC PRSi in many subtle variations, I have also really come to appreciate how a guitar "feels", which to me is how it feels as it resonates under your fingers, in hands and arms, and into your body, and how that connects to what comes out in tone. The SC's feel different than the DC's, very much so. Korina feels different than Mahogany. My new Semi-Hollow feels markedly different than a Solidbody. (And man, I *LOVE* the new Semi-Hollow, WOW!!) Even within Core and WL 594's they all feel a little different.

That brings me back full circle to Ironwolf's comment about weight. For the many DC 594's I have owned, I have found the ones that weighed between about 8 pounds 3 ounces to 8 pounds 6 ounces to feel and sound the best, or at least feel the best. That was freaked me out a bit how consistently that was the case. The lighter ones all felt GREAT on a strap ergonomically of course, but the feel of the resonance of the guitar just felt "right" in that 8.5 pounds give or take range. And I have learned that that "feel" is just as important to me as the tone, and has a big impact of which ones end up being keepers and which ones do not.

The SC 594 is 8 pounds, 9.6 ounces, and it feels "right" for what it is. The SC 594's on Reverb seem to all be in that range, give or take. I look forward to the possibility of sampling more SC 594's! ;)

Of course my Semi-Hollow DC 594 feels and sounds terrific at 6 pounds, 15 ounces, which is truly magical! ;)

I have indeed had the opportunity to compare a few "side-by-side". More than a Baker's Dozen of DC's against a Holy-Grail Private Stock SC 594 Prototype. ;)

The Doublecut's DEFINITELY are more ergonomically friendly, thinner, on average lighter, also more compact - meaning your left hand is closer into your body. I love that about them, having been gigging the DC 245 for 7 years, and the DC 594 feels very similar in that regard, but better to me as I like the scale length A LOT better! 3/32" of an inch doesn't sound like a lot, but holy cow is it different, at least for me.

Definitely easier access to the upper frets as well.

Thanks for that response Pete, that seems to confirm my subconscious tendencies as well.
I've owned about 5 custom 24's Some SE's but I never could quite bond with, But the Mark Tremonti signature.
I Completely and totally bonded with it, just something about it, which I suspect has a lot to do with the LP shape and construction. I did put a pearly gates humbucker in it, which got it deep into the 59 LP Territory. its very satisfying extremely Fun to play. therapy. So I wanted to go deeper into Les Paul territory I bought 2014 classic Gibson Les Paul which weighs in at 10.4 pounds(No weight relief) it's so interesting I put the exact same Pearly Gates pickup into it and it seems to have more thunder in the power chords and yet has a little more sparkle in the top end. So I was worried a little bit about buying the double cut, I think your confirming that I need that mysterious something that the single cut offers. Although I'm getting tired of picking up that 10 1/2 pound monster. The Tremonti weighs in at 9.0 lb and is 99% the equal of the Les Paul tone wise But of course the tremolo makes the guitar twice as flexible. But since the Tremontis's pickups are situated higher up from the bridge it seems to be missing some of that top-end (maybe hi mids) sparkle that the Les Paul offers. So I think I'm leaning towards the 9.5 pounds SC 594, I also think I would like the full turn version of the 58/15, Or even a 59/09, The pearly gates is based on the 59 humbucker that Billy Gibbons has in his 59 Les Paul. I really love that pickup both of my guitars are now Very vintage And rude at the same time, And I can't stop playing them when I pick them up. I think the single cut 594 will fit right in between those 2 guitars, I'm hoping it matches the Les Paul tones with the more athletic weight. my next concern is the LT versions will that satisfy me since I love the pearly gates so much.
I have a feeling that an overdrive pedal is enough to make the LT's completely satisfying.

Thanks again I'm also based in San Francisco area, I see that you travel around all the time let me know if you're passing by this way, & chat about guitars as therapy.

Yes, you nailed what I would say, Basauri! ;)

I love my SC 594, but the DC 594 would be my primary gigging guitar if I were playing out right now, and also if I could one have one guitar, it would be the DC, no question.

Thankfully, I am able to have more than one!! (Whew!) :)

I agree Les, there is just something satisfying about them, something subtly different than their Doublecut counterparts. That was the case for the DC and SC 245's, and translates through for me with the DC and SC 594's.

I can't explain it either, but I do believe a key part is the difference of the body being attached to the neck very differently, as Les mentions above. I believe more so that than the weight or the thickness.

With my years of collecting many fine examples of very similar DC and SC PRSi in many subtle variations, I have also really come to appreciate how a guitar "feels", which to me is how it feels as it resonates under your fingers, in hands and arms, and into your body, and how that connects to what comes out in tone. The SC's feel different than the DC's, very much so. Korina feels different than Mahogany. My new Semi-Hollow feels markedly different than a Solidbody. (And man, I *LOVE* the new Semi-Hollow, WOW!!) Even within Core and WL 594's they all feel a little different.

That brings me back full circle to Ironwolf's comment about weight. For the many DC 594's I have owned, I have found the ones that weighed between about 8 pounds 3 ounces to 8 pounds 6 ounces to feel and sound the best, or at least feel the best. That was freaked me out a bit how consistently that was the case. The lighter ones all felt GREAT on a strap ergonomically of course, but the feel of the resonance of the guitar just felt "right" in that 8.5 pounds give or take range. And I have learned that that "feel" is just as important to me as the tone, and has a big impact of which ones end up being keepers and which ones do not.

The SC 594 is 8 pounds, 9.6 ounces, and it feels "right" for what it is. The SC 594's on Reverb seem to all be in that range, give or take. I look forward to the possibility of sampling more SC 594's! ;)

Of course my Semi-Hollow DC 594 feels and sounds terrific at 6 pounds, 15 ounces, which is truly magical! ;)

OK, I want one, want, want, want. I cant afford it. Can someone send me one as loner for a few years?o_O:).
I may be able to drum up 5K, in a month or so.
Advice request:
1. I want Jumbo frets on a core model SC594 ( must have, for fat fingers and big bending)
2. I want a Jade Glow quilt top, but just jade quilt is OK.
3. I want the mahogany back and mahogany neck stained with the standard translucent green stain (I see it on all the green guitars, love it)
4. I believe the 58/15 (regular) in the bridge and the 58/15 LT in the neck would be perfect. I could live with out this for the moment)

Can I get it for 5K????:cool: my rep said any prs custom guitar is $9000. yikes jumbo frets cost $4000 dollars.

Will they add just a simple fret upgrade and pickup change to a core 10 top during the build? seems simple enough, or do I wait for green one I like, buy it, and send it back to the tech center, and say take it apart and try again.?

Cheers

OK, I want one, want, want, want. I cant afford it. Can someone send me one as loner for a few years?o_O:).
I may be able to drum up 5K, in a month or so.
Advice request:
1. I want Jumbo frets on a core model SC594 ( must have, for fat fingers and big bending)
2. I want a Jade Glow quilt top, but just jade quilt is OK.
3. I want the mahogany back and mahogany neck stained with the standard translucent green stain (I see it on all the green guitars, love it)
4. I believe the 58/15 (regular) in the bridge and the 58/15 LT in the neck would be perfect. I could live with out this for the moment)

Can I get it for 5K????:cool: my rep said any prs custom guitar is $9000. yikes jumbo frets cost $4000 dollars.

Will they add just a simple fret upgrade and pickup change to a core 10 top during the build? seems simple enough, or do I wait for green one I like, buy it, and send it back to the tech center, and say take it apart and try again.?

Cheers

I'm in the same boat as you. I really really want one. But financially, even with a 40th birthday and approving wife, it's just not in the cards right now. :( I really want a Faded Whale Blue SC594 with a natural back. Not other upgrades, no 10 top, i just want to see the wood on the back. I haven't contacted a rep to price that option yet, it's part of the artist package, but every time I see the FWB finish with the natural back it's usually in the $5200 ballpark.

I'm in the same boat as you. I really really want one. But financially, even with a 40th birthday and approving wife, it's just not in the cards right now. :( I really want a Faded Whale Blue SC594 with a natural back. Not other upgrades, no 10 top, i just want to see the wood on the back. I haven't contacted a rep to price that option yet, it's part of the artist package, but every time I see the FWB finish with the natural back it's usually in the $5200 ballpark.

When I look at the pictures the frets seem pretty beefy, my only hope is maybe I can get away without jumbo frets.
Every guitar I own right now has jumbo frets and I don't regret it Ever, it really helps in every aspect of my playing. Makes barre chords very easy, Makes all of my 3 and 4 step bends from Slash and David Gilmour songs super easy. Yes David Gilmour songs translate easily to single cut guitars. Especially with the coil splits.
I did send my mark tremonti back to PRS and had the jumbo frets installed on it by the factory.
Extremely satisfying. Any jumbo fret players out there that can weigh in, On the adequacy of the fret height.
Needless to say I simply should try and play one. Does the guitar center have any 594's in stock.
I assume the double cut and the single cut have the identical Necks and identical frets.
Can you request a core model From the factory in the color that you want?????
I think I can swing the $3600 Street price for a non-10 top but I have yet to see any Jade single cuts.
As Tom Petty and Mike Campbell say the waiting is the hardest part.

I've not seen any Jade SC 594 either. And I've not seen any on Guitar Center's website. Sweetwater.com is the only place I've seen that has had a significant amount listed that have been coming and going. There was a gorgeous non 10 top trampas green SC594 listed with a gig bag. It actually had a better top than the 3 10 tops they currently have. Needless to say it didn't last long.

Does anybody have experience ordering an artist package,

I'm very interested in trying to get the details that I want, but at the lowest possible price.
I would like some sort of the 10 top in green, I'd like the 58/15 pick up In the bridge.
It appears the only way to get that is to order the artist package.
If for example I add the flame Maple neck is that an additional cost when you order the artist package.
Does each item add up with an increased price, that makes sense.
Or is there a fixed price for an artist package and then you just pick and choose the options you want.
It seems to be a very difficult process And very high cost to get the features that you want.
:(

Contact one of the signature dealers listed on the website or any of the authorized dealers that are members here,
They should be able to help you out.

Well Base6, you adked and here is my brief response...

This GOTM is a creative masterpiece, for me. She is exactly what I Wanted her to be, sonically...
.."~

Interesting. I wondered how these would sound - what would you say the impact of the maple neck has compared to the more conventional mahogany?

Interesting. I wondered how these would sound - what would you say the impact of the maple neck has compared to the more conventional mahogany?

I think I heard someone say slightly more clarity in the base strings i.e. slightly more percussive attack. Which I like the idea of. But very subtle differences. I've had several ebony fretboard's and they're too percussive too sharp in mid or high tones attack for me, I've shed all of my ebony fretboard guitars. I have 3 Maple neck's and 3 mahogany neck's and the maples just ever so slightly more crisp.
So I have a quote in for an artist package 10 top flame maple cap in Jade or Emerald Green (Quilt top is not available in the artist package For this particular guitar), and including the flame maple neck With matching green stain not sure if they can do that on the SC but found a picture DC.
We will see what kind of punishment that brings in $$$$
NAWrITi.jpg

I've had several Maple neck versions of PRS models that usually come with 'hog necks, including the recently re-introduced McCarty. Change the recipe, you change the flavor. So it depends what you're trying to accomplish.

Maple necks have a characteristic resonance; a lighter in the low mids, a bit more upper midrange, a different kind of sustain, a bit more twang.

If you like the way the model sounds in its standard form, go with mahogany. If you're thinking, "I love this thing, it's sweet, but I like the recipe a bit more tart," get the maple.

For me, the traditional formula of mahogany body and neck, Maple top, and rosewood fingerboard is the winning formula, but there's nothin' wrong with different if that's what you're after.

Reactions: MNG
Maple necks have a characteristic resonance; a lighter in the low mids, a bit more upper midrange, a different kind of sustain, a bit more twang.

That is what I would expect, but sometimes you don't get exactly what you expect. My preference is mahogany for Les Paul type and maple for Strat type, but I was curious about this one.

I have two 594's, one with a Brazilian neck. I didn't expect to like the Brazilian neck as much as I do based upon my experience with ME1's.

I've had several Maple neck versions of PRS models that usually come with 'hog necks, including the recently re-introduced McCarty. Change the recipe, you change the flavor. So it depends what you're trying to accomplish.

If you like the way the model sounds in its standard form, go with mahogany. If you're thinking, "I love this thing, it's sweet, but I like the recipe a bit more tart," get the maple.

For me, the traditional formula of mahogany body and neck, Maple top, and rosewood fingerboard is the winning formula, but there's nothin' wrong with different if that's what you're after.

You could be very right, I forgot who has the guitar of the month swamp ash body with a maple neck and maple fret board, that's one that I would expect to be different enough to actually hear it. I do feel like a maple neck with a Rosewood fretboard is still in that 99th percentile with a big fat mahogany body not sure you could tell blindfolded.I think were all in general agreement the Maple neck is very subtle but depending on the very specific piece of wood you could hear it and feel it. I did have a Stratocaster with a Flat sawn Maple neck I bought a beautiful flame neck
warmouth neck with jumbo frets that was heavier than the stock. I did the Test

tap test. They both had maple fretboards, it was plink plink plink for the stock and plonk plonk plonk for the flame. it noticeably darkened the guitar.
Much more pronounced low mids some of the very highs were softened. But that's exactly what that guitar needed it it had some slight harshness to it. So now I'm afraid if I get a flame maple neck That might darken the 594 too much. But I think the Rosewood fretboard adds the balance. So anybody with flame maple lacks chime in is it subtle I suspect it is.
Here's the guitar I have my eye on.
I really want it in a single cut though.
https://wildwestguitars.com/electri...FO3_iE3GK9y0_sXWhyk7WivVcdM0KZV2baxoCAZnw_wcB

I see that the NAMM show's going on next week. Would we expect dealers to have more singlecut 594's after that show. For example they might bring a special run to the show itself.

Anyway some new SC 594's are starting to show up, all the ones I like unfortunately are running on the light side weight wise. Here's one that just got listed a few days ago which I think is Very attractive for a non-10 top, The fade is done quite well interesting longitudinal and latitude cross grains, if it was closer to 9 pounds I would snag it and be done with it.
Very attractive price as well base model 3600 bucks probably sounds amazing.
8 pounds and 4 ounces, is that a sign? its the same weight I was, when I was born

9Rghr7C.jpg

iFiegyN.jpg

Back