The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Im just glad your healthy & happy, was a bit concerned when you vanished. You don't know me, but I enjoyed reading your larks here and that B&M epic thread

I get it, changing things up is good. Have a great year ;)

Thank you, that is a very nice thing to say!

I have really appreciated all the great support and interactions across the 3 forums over the years of craziness.

I certainly hope you don't go off the deep end this time. Not sure my wallet can take it if you do! :p Although, I'm sure Mario will be happy for the business!

Well, I do have two years of catching up to do! :)

Stay tuned on this channel...

Wait...you've got one in the oven; where are the wood kit pictures???

Okay, so I am ready to explain. I put one in the oven way back in March of 2017. Here is the Wood:

R0aXIxj.jpg

WyR81ks.jpg

90JhqgA.jpg

I dig One-Piece Quilts on my Private Stocks! Over the years that has been my primary go-to.

It made various appliances on PSF over the summer of 2018 (SC 594 SH in Citrine Glow without a Smokeburst):

8NzW5it.jpg

BzxcGXq.jpg

KZb5wIg.jpg

68tKNuL.jpg

It showed up on "the couch" at the dealer in September of 2018:

piqDDTd.jpg

po30CLV.jpg

But at the time I chose not to take it, as I was still in my cranky / hiatus stage ;), and I wasn't 100% satisfied with how the finish turned out. (I was expecting/hoping for more "Glow" contrast in the center...)

Fast forward here 16 months, I am back from hiatus and over it, and lucky for me the guitar had not sold (I am not sure how on Earth that is possible, it is a pretty killer guitar!). It showed up here this morning!

o27GgiB.jpg

I was going for a more subtle vintage look, so I didn't do a Smokeburst this time around, versus the 4 previous Citrus Glow Private Stocks I have done. It came out very "pedestrian" in look and vibe relative to most of my previous Private Stocks, but that is okay I guess, it is pretty subtle and vintage. I also asked for the Semi-Gloss Nitro like my Prototype has, I really love that about the Prototype. This one is more Matte/Satin than Semi-Gloss, which makes it even more subtle.

So far it is great, I appreciate the lighter weight (almost a pound lighter than the Prototype), and it sounds different, but amazing in its own way.

And of course it has Blade Knots, because those are my favorite PRS Private Stock inlays! :)

I guess I am back for real now...

So that was your spec'd out PS; NICE!!!! Trust me...I had looked at that one, but already had my own SH SC 594 (less the f-hole) so I wasn't going to snag it.

Congrats on it ending up with you; enjoy it!

Okay, so I am ready to explain. I put one in the oven way back in March of 2017. Here is the Wood:

R0aXIxj.jpg

WyR81ks.jpg

90JhqgA.jpg

I dig One-Piece Quilts on my Private Stocks! Over the years that has been my primary go-to.

It made various appliances on PSF over the summer of 2018 (SC 594 SH in Citrine Glow without a Smokeburst):

8NzW5it.jpg

BzxcGXq.jpg

KZb5wIg.jpg

68tKNuL.jpg

It showed up on "the couch" at the dealer in September of 2018:

piqDDTd.jpg

po30CLV.jpg

But at the time I chose not to take it, as I was still in my cranky / hiatus stage ;), and I wasn't 100% satisfied with how the finish turned out. (I was expecting/hoping for more "Glow" contrast in the center...)

Fast forward here 16 months, I am back from hiatus and over it, and lucky for me the guitar had not sold (I am not sure how on Earth that is possible, it is a pretty killer guitar!). It showed up here this morning!

o27GgiB.jpg

I was going for a more subtle vintage look, so I didn't do a Smokeburst this time around, versus the 4 previous Citrus Glow Private Stocks I have done. It came out very "pedestrian" in look and vibe relative to most of my previous Private Stocks, but that is okay I guess, it is pretty subtle and vintage. I also asked for the Semi-Gloss Nitro like my Prototype has, I really love that about the Prototype. This one is more Matte/Satin than Semi-Gloss, which makes it even more subtle.

So far it is great, I appreciate the lighter weight (almost a pound lighter than the Prototype), and it sounds different, but amazing in its own way.

And of course it has Blade Knots, because those are my favorite PRS Private Stock inlays! :)

I guess I am back for real now...
Killer! Blade knots look great with that top and finish color. Can still see the glow finish even though it’s more subtle. What pickups are in it?

Killer! Blade knots look great with that top and finish color. Can still see the glow finish even though it’s more subtle. What pickups are in it?

Thanks!

I did 5815 LTs in there, with an uncovered bridge obviously. I figured it would be best to start with those to get a unique pair of them with Gold screws and an uncovered Bridge, and then I can swap around from there (which I always do - I like trying different pickup sets in my favorite guitars).

The Prototype has sounded amazing with just about every set I have tried in there, right now it has a custom PRS Neck pickup from my old "Rumbleseat" SC 594 Prototype, and an uncovered 5909 bridge. It sounds great, but I think I want to try a slightly lower output pickup in the bridge. I had tried a couple of sets of 5815 LTs, the older 5815s, 5310s, 5708s and ThroBak Peter Green pickups in there. I think my favorite ones were the 5708s, or the PGs...

Well Pete I don’t know you either, but that guitar is stunning and I’m sure it sounds equally as amazing! Congratulations and glad you’re back.

The new one is beautiful but certainly NOT a glow as you had in the past. You not taking it back then, was NOT on you!

Vintagey is a good way to describe it - pedestrian would be too strong....

Question, fellow 594 fans...

Is white (antique, pearl, other) a standard 594 color? I’m beginning to have visions of an alter ego to my all black SC594. I’ve located a few pictures, but they seem to be rare birds in the kingdom.

Question, fellow 594 fans...

Is white (antique, pearl, other) a standard 594 color? I’m beginning to have visions of an alter ego to my all black SC594. I’ve located a few pictures, but they seem to be rare birds in the kingdom.

There aren't many white ones floating around. Grab one while you can!

Thanks!

I did 5815 LTs in there, with an uncovered bridge obviously. I figured it would be best to start with those to get a unique pair of them with Gold screws and an uncovered Bridge, and then I can swap around from there (which I always do - I like trying different pickup sets in my favorite guitars).

The Prototype has sounded amazing with just about every set I have tried in there, right now it has a custom PRS Neck pickup from my old "Rumbleseat" SC 594 Prototype, and an uncovered 5909 bridge. It sounds great, but I think I want to try a slightly lower output pickup in the bridge. I had tried a couple of sets of 5815 LTs, the older 5815s, 5310s, 5708s and ThroBak Peter Green pickups in there. I think my favorite ones were the 5708s, or the PGs...
I’ve generally settled on 57/08s for Mahogany necks and 59/09s for RW necks. Hard to beat! Couple of exceptions though - Koa Sister has full Braz neck with 53/10s and my DC 594 still has 58/15LT with the Dark Peruvian Mahogany neck. Both sound killer as is so I’ve decided not to mess with them!

Thanks for leaving it there for me! :)

Like two peas in a pod:

MjVn8Kv.jpg

XbKQimY.jpg

hdxuTW8.jpg
That really turned out great!
The glow is very subtle as is the finish, but I agree it has a more vintage vibe than your previous PS’s in that color.
I really dig it!
Congrats!

That really turned out great!
The glow is very subtle as is the finish, but I agree it has a more vintage vibe than your previous PS’s in that color.
I really dig it!
Congrats!

Thanks! It is growing on me that it is more subtle and vintage. There will be plenty of opportunity for future Private Stock 594s to be more flashy! :)

At first I was a bit bummed that it was more so a Matte finish versus the Semi-Gloss of the Prototype, but it is growing on me. It adds to the subtleness of the look. You can see it a bit better in this pic:

cfQGyYI.jpg

And the Matte finish on the neck feels AMAZING!

nVcdrIK.jpg

(Over time if it wears on me, I can always send it in for a refin, I have done that with a couple of Private Stocks previously, and they turned out great. Takes a long time though...)

I got some time to play it over the weekend - WOW! The tones are really amazing. The Prototype still trumps all guitars I have ever played for that classic Singlecut sort of tone, thick and beefy, the holy grail tone that makes that guitar a destination of sorts.

This one is more open and airy, more sparkly, without at all being overly bright. I am running it into a Plexi voiced amp, and with medium rock sort of gain, it sounds incredible. You can really manage the tone well both in the neck and bridge pickups with the volume and tone controls. I love that about 2 vol 2 tone guitars, set the amp once and control with volume and tone from there.

One interesting note re the pickups - on my solidbody SC 594s, I have often found the stock 5815 LT bridge pickup to sometimes seem a little weak, as commented by others here. (Turn on a Boost pedal and the problem is solved, but still sub-optimal sometimes.) That was not at all the case with my SC 594 SH from a couple of years ago, and not at all the case with this one either. Weird! I don't think I will bother to swap pickups in this guitar, these sound terrific in there.

(On the Prototype, I am finding the 5909 Bridge in there now a tad hot, I am going to experiment with some other pickups again in that one...)

Anyway, I am really digging this one so far re tone and feel, which at the end of the day is more important than the nuances of the appearance! ;)

Back