The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Happy New Year, everyone! I posted the above September 4, 2017, just over two years ago. (Wow, over two years? Time flies!!)

I am declaring here that I am ready to come back from my hiatus, as we enter 2020 today.

During that time I wasn't playing a lot, wasn't buying and selling too much, and wasn't on guitar forums very much. I think it was a much-needed break, after the insanity I had with PRS obsession from 2008 to 2017... ;)

As I return here, I will declare that this guitar here below changed everything for me. This guitar was so disruptively awesome and head and shoulders above the rest, that I wasn't really able to process it and understand it at the time. But after two years of processing and reflecting, I understand and accept it now. (First World problems, I know...)

bxEEL84.jpg

I will attempt to share my thoughts on all that with you guys here soon...

I spent a bunch of time over the holidays reliving the Official McCarty 594 and SC 594 Love threads, the PSF thread, and in general catching up here. I was so pleased to see the 594 love remaining so strong! Congrats to all of you with your great new 594 acquisitions, some killer guitars in these threads.

This guitar is my sole PRS at this point, but that probably won't last long. As I started to play a little bit more recently, I was blown away by this beast. I knew it before, but after taking a break and coming back, it really hits home with me that this is hands-down by far the best sounding and feeling guitar I have ever owned, or played. Now that I understand things in my head a lot better, I think I am ready to perhaps add some more things 594 to the collection to build around this one. :)

(JD at Guitar Maverick - I am eternally grateful for you making sure this guitar got into my hands when you scooped it up back in 2016! You rock.)
Welcome back Pete !

Just FYI, I can't see the pic, but I'm guessing it's the proto? Beast of a guitar - new pics always welcome. :)

Okay, so here is some explanation on the two years on reflecting, and the impact of the 2016 SC 594 Prototype “Holy Grail” guitar.

So for many years for me, as shared with many of you on BaM, Vintage Rocker and here on the PRS Forum, it was all about the journey, and the adventure always progressed and things seems always get more and more interesting and exciting. Journey timeline highlights:
  • 2008: Started collecting and obsessing about PRS Guitars (Started with some 5708 Limited Editions - Cu24, McCarty, SC 245, and then the Sunburst series and DGTs…)
  • 2009: Joined my first band, a company Band that turned out to be quite an adventure. First gig was with a terrific DGT Goldtop. Also, in the fall of 2009 my beloved DC 245 Ted was launched! The beginning of my long adventure with the deep love for the PRS Short Scale guitars.
  • 2010: Performed at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, in the finals of the Battle of the Corporate Bands (with a Shootout McCarty - which was an amazing guitar)
  • 2011: The Willcutt Guitars Wood Library DC and SC Teds arrived - these were much better in tone than the previous Teds and SC 58s, with the hand-picked woods. These WL 245’s dominated the collection for the next couple of years, until the next phase with the Private Stock 245s
  • Spring of 2012: Went to PRS to spec out my first personally spec’ed Private Stock. Also went to Paul’s Home Studio with Eric from Willcutt with Paul, and jammed out with a 408 and a hot-rodded Original Sewell - it was an awesome experience!
  • Summer of 2012: Met up with Howard Leese and some of the Paul Rodgers band, at his hotel the night before a show in Chicago, with BrianC and a bunch of guitars. Howard wanted my purple SC IRW WL Ted (formerly 11Top’s) but I wasn’t ready to part with it at the time. That started a trading relationship with Howard that lasted for a few trades, later. Howard showed us the “correct way” to play “All Right Now”. The next night we saw him in concert, we were front row center, it was awesome
  • Fall of 2012: Performed again the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, again in the finals of the Battle of the Corporate Bands, this time with a TGS Obeche Cu24 (didn’t want to take my newly acquired TGS Private Stock DC 245, which was later traded to Howard Leese, he called it “Root Beer”) - This time around it was more meaningful for me, we were as a band much better, and my wife and kids joined for this one. Around this same time, my beloved Jade Glow DC 245 PS came in. That was a killer guitar!
  • 2013: Continued to gig around the country with the corporate band. Built a Private Stock collection of 5 awesome DC and SC 245s. Traded a Beach Crossfade DC 245 to Howard Leese, I rushed it to him so he could play it on the Jay Leno show, which blew my daughter’s mind
  • 2014: The Ted McCarty SC 245 Private Stock came out - that took the SC Ted to a new level of greatness! Got one from the first run, then a dealer spec’ed one, then spec’ed my own, which came out amazing. My favorite two guitars to-date were the Jade Glow DC 245 and the Citrus Glow Ted McCarty SC 245. My main gigging guitar was an Aquamarine Obeche-bodied DC 245 with 408 pickups, it was nice and lightweight and easy on the back for rehearsals and gigs
  • 2015: My band dissolved, everyone at our company moved on to other jobs. We had an amazing “Farewell” gig in April of 2015
  • 2016: The DC 594 GOM came out in February - and it BLEW MY MIND!! This model was so much better than any other Short Scale PRS before it. PThe beginning of the next adventure. I scooped up just about every Core and PS DC 594 I could find
  • Fall of 2016: The “Holy Grail” SC 594 Prototype arrived and changed everything!! Totally blew my mind!
From there, things got disrupted by this magical SC 594 Prototype. I went through a bunch of Core and WL 594s, and couple of PS SC 594s. But none really measured up to the Holy Grail. The Private Stocks were great, better on average than the Core and WL ones, but couldn’t hold a candle to the Prototype. So I was a bit lost - I went through 8 years of a tone quest, where I was always finding improvements and newer better things, all while having the experience of a lifetime with a great band. And then all of a sudden it seemed like the destination was reached, and there was no more journey. No band, no exciting new guitars. The culmination was when I put a lot of energy into spec’ing out a killer SC 594 PS for my 50th Birthday. It came in and was good, but quite frankly the Prototype was so much better than the rest that it didn’t seem to make sense to have more than one SC 594. That was actually quite frustrating. (Again, First World problems, I know! ;))

That’s when I went down a different path in frustration, collected a bunch of R9s and other guitars, searching for something new and exciting. I wasn’t gigging anymore, so that sort of changed the criteria. That fizzled out after about a year, it wasn’t rewarding anymore. I sold all but a few guitars in 2018. (I did have a fun phase with Strats, playing nothing but Strats and Strat type guitars for a year, still have two Fender Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Strats that are terrific.) I didn’t play much for the past year or two, just let the madness go and found some perspective.

Now I have the urge to start playing more again. I realize that the journey doesn’t have to be over, it can just evolve. The band was an amazing experience, but I don’t have the time for another one now. The tone chasing can continue and still be fun, but just be about the subtle nuances of a much less crazy experience, with this great guitar as a true keeper as the center of my collection. And perhaps one or two more complementary 594’s (DC again? SC SH?), with experimentation with pickups, amps, pedals, etc. And oh yes, playing, technique and skills. :)

And I am okay with that now! In looking back now, it seems silly that I bought and sold all of those guitars, I think I was little crazy for about a decade there. I just seemed to have an insatiable appetite for finding the Holy Grail guitar. Thank goodness I finally did, I think!

Whew, sorry for the long post - but I wanted to share this with you guys here a bit of context behind the hiatus, and the return now. And thank you guys for all of your support along the journey...

Welcome back Pete !

Just FYI, I can't see the pic, but I'm guessing it's the proto? Beast of a guitar - new pics always welcome. :)

Yes, the beloved Prototype! I will post some more pics soon.

Great to see you around, Pete!

Be well and Happy New Year... Chuck

IMG_4683.jpg

Hey Chuck!

Great one! I dig that Black Fade.

Great to see you posting, and playing again, Pete! Glad to hear you’re back in the saddle.

Pete...WELCOME BACK!!! I know that our offline conversations and your reviews / posts had an obvious influence on me. The Ultraviolet RW Ted SC that you spoke of...you were kind enough to sell me many years ago. Like you I was on my own journey and that guitar was a pretty pivotal part of it...especially after being a LP player for many years. While that guitar has moved onto a new home it did pay the way for the 594 RW SC Private Stock that I posted about earlier in this thread...which for me is my own SC based Holy Grail guitar.

Great to see you back around...can't wait to see what you might get into next. Maybe you should consider an SC 594 Hollowbody variation...

Okay, so here is some explanation on the two years on reflecting, and the impact of the 2016 SC 594 Prototype “Holy Grail” guitar.

So for many years for me, as shared with many of you on BaM, Vintage Rocker and here on the PRS Forum, it was all about the journey, and the adventure always progressed and things seems always get more and more interesting and exciting. Journey timeline highlights:
  • 2008: Started collecting and obsessing about PRS Guitars (Started with some 5708 Limited Editions - Cu24, McCarty, SC 245, and then the Sunburst series and DGTs…)
  • 2009: Joined my first band, a company Band that turned out to be quite an adventure. First gig was with a terrific DGT Goldtop. Also, in the fall of 2009 my beloved DC 245 Ted was launched! The beginning of my long adventure with the deep love for the PRS Short Scale guitars.
  • 2010: Performed at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, in the finals of the Battle of the Corporate Bands (with a Shootout McCarty - which was an amazing guitar)
  • 2011: The Willcutt Guitars Wood Library DC and SC Teds arrived - these were much better in tone than the previous Teds and SC 58s, with the hand-picked woods. These WL 245’s dominated the collection for the next couple of years, until the next phase with the Private Stock 245s
  • Spring of 2012: Went to PRS to spec out my first personally spec’ed Private Stock. Also went to Paul’s Home Studio with Eric from Willcutt with Paul, and jammed out with a 408 and a hot-rodded Original Sewell - it was an awesome experience!
  • Summer of 2012: Met up with Howard Leese and some of the Paul Rodgers band, at his hotel the night before a show in Chicago, with BrianC and a bunch of guitars. Howard wanted my purple SC IRW WL Ted (formerly 11Top’s) but I wasn’t ready to part with it at the time. That started a trading relationship with Howard that lasted for a few trades, later. Howard showed us the “correct way” to play “All Right Now”. The next night we saw him in concert, we were front row center, it was awesome
  • Fall of 2012: Performed again the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, again in the finals of the Battle of the Corporate Bands, this time with a TGS Obeche Cu24 (didn’t want to take my newly acquired TGS Private Stock DC 245, which was later traded to Howard Leese, he called it “Root Beer”) - This time around it was more meaningful for me, we were as a band much better, and my wife and kids joined for this one. Around this same time, my beloved Jade Glow DC 245 PS came in. That was a killer guitar!
  • 2013: Continued to gig around the country with the corporate band. Built a Private Stock collection of 5 awesome DC and SC 245s. Traded a Beach Crossfade DC 245 to Howard Leese, I rushed it to him so he could play it on the Jay Leno show, which blew my daughter’s mind
  • 2014: The Ted McCarty SC 245 Private Stock came out - that took the SC Ted to a new level of greatness! Got one from the first run, then a dealer spec’ed one, then spec’ed my own, which came out amazing. My favorite two guitars to-date were the Jade Glow DC 245 and the Citrus Glow Ted McCarty SC 245. My main gigging guitar was an Aquamarine Obeche-bodied DC 245 with 408 pickups, it was nice and lightweight and easy on the back for rehearsals and gigs
  • 2015: My band dissolved, everyone at our company moved on to other jobs. We had an amazing “Farewell” gig in April of 2015
  • 2016: The DC 594 GOM came out in February - and it BLEW MY MIND!! This model was so much better than any other Short Scale PRS before it. PThe beginning of the next adventure. I scooped up just about every Core and PS DC 594 I could find
  • Fall of 2016: The “Holy Grail” SC 594 Prototype arrived and changed everything!! Totally blew my mind!
From there, things got disrupted by this magical SC 594 Prototype. I went through a bunch of Core and WL 594s, and couple of PS SC 594s. But none really measured up to the Holy Grail. The Private Stocks were great, better on average than the Core and WL ones, but couldn’t hold a candle to the Prototype. So I was a bit lost - I went through 8 years of a tone quest, where I was always finding improvements and newer better things, all while having the experience of a lifetime with a great band. And then all of a sudden it seemed like the destination was reached, and there was no more journey. No band, no exciting new guitars. The culmination was when I put a lot of energy into spec’ing out a killer SC 594 PS for my 50th Birthday. It came in and was good, but quite frankly the Prototype was so much better than the rest that it didn’t seem to make sense to have more than one SC 594. That was actually quite frustrating. (Again, First World problems, I know! ;))

That’s when I went down a different path in frustration, collected a bunch of R9s and other guitars, searching for something new and exciting. I wasn’t gigging anymore, so that sort of changed the criteria. That fizzled out after about a year, it wasn’t rewarding anymore. I sold all but a few guitars in 2018. (I did have a fun phase with Strats, playing nothing but Strats and Strat type guitars for a year, still have two Fender Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Strats that are terrific.) I didn’t play much for the past year or two, just let the madness go and found some perspective.

Now I have the urge to start playing more again. I realize that the journey doesn’t have to be over, it can just evolve. The band was an amazing experience, but I don’t have the time for another one now. The tone chasing can continue and still be fun, but just be about the subtle nuances of a much less crazy experience, with this great guitar as a true keeper as the center of my collection. And perhaps one or two more complementary 594’s (DC again? SC SH?), with experimentation with pickups, amps, pedals, etc. And oh yes, playing, technique and skills. :)

And I am okay with that now! In looking back now, it seems silly that I bought and sold all of those guitars, I think I was little crazy for about a decade there. I just seemed to have an insatiable appetite for finding the Holy Grail guitar. Thank goodness I finally did, I think!

Whew, sorry for the long post - but I wanted to share this with you guys here a bit of context behind the hiatus, and the return now. And thank you guys for all of your support along the journey...
Good lord what an epic journey! More like a saga really. Some amazing experiences you’ve had there Pete!

Good lord what an epic journey! More like a saga really. Some amazing experiences you’ve had there Pete!

Thanks, Paul! I do feel very fortunate.

What’s funny is that I consider myself to be a pretty mediocre guitar player, I just had the good fortune to be able to put this band together with 4 other musicians much more skilled than I am, and tie it in with promoting our company to create some pretty fun gigging opportunities.

People have told me that you shouldn’t be able to have your first band experience be awesome, that you need to have at least 5-10 really crappy experiences before you get a good one. ;) I guess I was just very lucky!

The great experience with the PRS team, the guitars and the community here was the icing on the cake.

Maybe down the road when I am done doing the corporate jobs I can make time for another band...

Until then, I will just enjoy the crap out of my gear at home. :)

Never thought I’d own one when I first saw this thread. Well, never say never. I call this one the Master Sergeant.
0MGnroJ.jpg
6v83c6F.jpg

Amazing! I remember that one from yesterday, when I looked through 2 years of the PSF thread.

Pete...WELCOME BACK!!! I know that our offline conversations and your reviews / posts had an obvious influence on me. The Ultraviolet RW Ted SC that you spoke of...you were kind enough to sell me many years ago. Like you I was on my own journey and that guitar was a pretty pivotal part of it...especially after being a LP player for many years. While that guitar has moved onto a new home it did pay the way for the 594 RW SC Private Stock that I posted about earlier in this thread...which for me is my own SC based Holy Grail guitar.

Great to see you back around...can't wait to see what you might get into next. Maybe you should consider an SC 594 Hollowbody variation...

Hey, Chris!! Good to hear from you here.

Your SC 594 PS is killer. It has "Blade Knots", like mine! I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw the pics.

LOL now what is it about these PRS prototypes! I have a TCI Paul’s Guitar prototype that is also a holy grail for me.

Yes, perhaps there is something to be said for these prototypes! They are built by the Private Stock team, probably with great focus and care to vet out a new design.

I had a 305 Prototype back in 2009 or so, it was amazing, better than any other 305 I tried after that. I wish now that I hadn't sold it, I didn't know at the time how special it was...

Visiting from my Forum Semi-Retirement to state this is still the best guitar model EVER!

I put another one in the oven with the Private Stock team in February, Semi-Hollow with an F-Hole...
Wait...you've got one in the oven; where are the wood kit pictures???

Back