The "Official" SE Mark Holcomb Love Thread

At this point, the only shredding in my life involves Nabisco and wheat. In spite of that, this is clearly a remarkable instrument. Can`t go wrong with this one.......

Primary I wanted to make a deal with my trader I procured my 513 MT in 2011 at. But a few things made me to order in my home country.
First point: My trader couldn´t order certain extras.
Second point: By the fact that shipping costs much more than in 2011, all the taxes, custom dues and other import related expeditures would make the unmodified SE Mark Holcomb more expensive than the average VAT price in my home country. Even in UK they´re more expensive.

However. Therefore I recently ordered at Europe´s largest Musical Instrument Center a PRS SE Mark Holcomb with a few additional modifications:
My SE (special example) Mark Holcomb will consist of:
- PRS SE Mark Holcomb
- Schaller M6 locking tuners in ruthenium with ebony tuner buttons (all origin holes in the headstock fit)
- PRS string nut
- Schaller security strap locks in ruthenium
- Hipshot o-ring knobs (like the core Mark Holcomb has got)

As a strap I ordered againa a PRS Signature strap

The main reason for those modifications is the expectation of better function and tone. And optically there will be an improvement, too. I may change the plastic backplate to an ebony backplate some time.

The dealer expects the guitar to be dellivered at 30 SEP 16, in coincidence the tuners and knobs, which weren´t in stock, are ordered. Hopefully everything is there just in time that I don´t need to be patient as much.

Last edited:
I'm a newb. Sorry for the dumb question but I cannot get my Mark Holcomb SE to play clean through my amp even though I'm on a clean channel on my amp. Is it the guitar volume that needs to be lowered?

Again, sorry for the newb question. I have a Fender Stratocaster Standard USA that does NOT have this issue. Plugging in from one to the other the MH is dirty and the Strat is clean.

Scarab

I'm a newb. Sorry for the dumb question but I cannot get my Mark Holcomb SE to play clean through my amp even though I'm on a clean channel on my amp. Is it the guitar volume that needs to be lowered?

Again, sorry for the newb question. I have a Fender Stratocaster Standard USA that does NOT have this issue. Plugging in from one to the other the MH is dirty and the Strat is clean.

Scarab

You're gonna want different amp settings for different guitars. Humbuckers have a higher output than single coils.
The Holcomb set is 12.96 (Bridge) / 8.02 (Neck) DCR.
From what I google, a Strat set is more like 7.3/5.9/5.9. So, the Holcomb neck is hotter than the Strat bridge and the Holcomb bridge is ~50% hotter than Strat's.

You can lower the guitar volume, lower the pickups, lower the gain/eq on amp. All will affect this in various ways.

Back