The new Earth, Wind, & Fire album is... BANGIN"!

sergiodeblanc

I bought the new EWF album last Tuesday and I have to say I'm super psyched about it. They are one of my all time favorites.. but I will freely admit that the last three albums sucked hard. Really Hard.. but this album is great!

I saw an interview on Tavis Smiley with the three remaining members and they were talking about how they had already made a new album listening to "Everything but Earth, Wind, and Fire" until Philip Baileys son (who is also singing with the band) convinced his dad that they needed to make a classic EWF record. So on a plane flight to Japan, Philip listened to the entire EWF catalog (40 years and 20 some albums) and they wound up rewriting the whole thing!

Sofaking Bangin'!

I didn't even get out of the Target parking lot before that face that you make when music is really funky, you know the one.. it almost looks like you're constipated.. came over my face. Oh, Man! I was bumpin' it in the soccer mom Quest!

I can still barely help myself from hitting repeat on that tune all day, such a classic feel that couldn't come from anybody else.

Here's another one of their rehearsal promo videos, this one kinda' has a "September" feel goin' on with it. Check out Verdine (the bassist) the man is seriously the most energetic entertainer I've seen in the longest time. I have seen them live probably as many times as I've seen Slayer or Quicksand, and I can say that unlike the other two I always feel like I got my moneys worth. Look at those pants! Look at that hair! Peep the finger-lick he does at 0.32... Ha! Fuggin great! He alone repairs the coolness factor that those goons rockin' the headset mics took away.

Skip back to 1:18 and listen to that falsetto again. Dude's over 60 years old!!!!! What?!? They are all AARP members and they are KILLING IT!

Here's a live show from earlier this summer so you know that energy isn't faked, and yes, they totally have that much energy for well over an hour.. I've witnessed it.

This album also marks the return of the composer and keyboardist, Larry Dunn. He helped write some of the greatest EWF songs and having him back in the studio really adds to the vintage vibe on this one sot here is tons of Moog and Rhodes all over it. The lyrics are typical EWF spiritual-feel goodery without being too cheesey, and there is a nice bossa nova instrumental that is almost ruined by the guitarists piezo (please stop and put up a microphone people!) but there is a bunch of cool guitar stuff going on everywhere else.

What an awesome year for me with music to buy, the Daft Punk and now this Earth, Wind, and Fire.... Stoked.

This is like my equivalent of Gun-n-Roses finally realizing that you gotta say screw it, and give the fans what they need. For any of you metal dudes

Last edited by a moderator:
Verdine White is a smokin' bassist...will def check it out. Besides, my wife loves EWF, so I would get points for that one...

Verdine is probably my favorite living bassist, I can't help but to play "air bass" in the car when juking to EWF.. The slow jams on this one are super sexy too, be careful playing this around your wife unless you guys are ready for more children.

Timeless sound!
That could very well have been recorded in the 70's... I dig it.

I knew that you could!

Man, I love EWF. Saw them live last year and they were incredible...

Impossible to leave one of their shows without smiling..

I'm so glad there are a few responses to this thread, I was sure it would disappear without any comments. I would say to our more "metal" members.. You gotta check them out if you haven't already, EWF is such a technical band. They are like the funk equivalent of Megadeth "Rust in Piece" era... except instead of headbangin' you'll be doin' the white-guy overbite.. So much harmonically complex music disguised as dance floor fodder.

Back