The DG30 Appreciation Thread

László

Too Many Notes
I go on and on about my HXDA, but the DG30 is a stellar amp as well, and I love mine.

I got this thing shortly after it came out at Experience 2013, and snagged one of the "first 20" with NOS tubes. It has sounded magnificent from day one, and is the finest-sounding American-style amp I have ever owned, bar none. This includes a couple of Mesas I got for alternate American-style tones. Compared to the DG30, it isn't a contest, but at least they sound different.

It's also my favorite amp with a couple of my guitars, the Semi-hollow Special, and the 594 Soapbar. The two guitars are just different enough from my other ones to truly bring the amp to life in a different way. But I dig it a ton with the CU24, so it's not like it won't work with other models.

I have the matching cab, and it's a killer combination. I should probably mention that the amp is wonderful with pedals, especially overdrives.

I realize this isn't the amp for everyone, given people wanting to play metal and all that, BUT - for its intended use, it's the best amp I've ever owned. I use it a lot on sessions, and it's paid its own way many times over (which is important to me, YMMV).

The HXDA and DG30 are the longest-owned amps in my arsenal, and in fact, only my Mesa Tremoverb lasted as long back in the '90s. I'm SO glad I own this amp.

Who knows how long PRS will keep making them? I got in while the gettin' was good!

I don’t have one but I certainly appreciate them.
Maybe I should clarify: the DG30 didn’t exist when I found my Super Dallas.

The exact year blurs, as so many Experiences blend into one big compound memory, but it could have been 2011. David Grissom held clinics explaining his philosophies around amps, gear, and their application, form the perspective of a working musician. He played a ton of bars and had strong opinions about what worked, what didn’t, and where he was willing to compromise. Those stories resonated with me and even more so when I got to talk to him directly. He “got it”, just at a much much higher level than I. With my direct and pointed questions, I think he realized my appreciation for his advice from a glancingly similar perspective. For once in my guitar life, I had the kind of guidance where I could buy an amp and cab with very predictable results. So when the opportunity to pickup a like new CAD Super Dallas, even though I might have been leaning toward the HXDA, I seized it.

So, I’ve been content for 10 years. Yes, I have a Kemper, but that’s a tool with a different soul. My SuperD is my forever amp and I thank DG, Doug Sewell, and Jeff Taylor for the advice that put me on track. However, what if the DG30 had been around? All of that stuff above would probably be about that amp.

It’s on the “get one” list! The opportunity/cash/needs nexus hasn’t happened yet, but it’s in the queue for whenever it does. Honestly, I won’t know how it fits until I use one, but I have a feeling the guttural grunt that David gets with it will translate well for me.

Nice review on it, Les! It’s always great to hear other perspectives than live gigging, because the studio is a different space entirely. I appreciate the viewpoint you provide.

The exact year blurs, as so many Experiences blend into one big compound memory, but it could have been 2011. David Grissom held clinics explaining his philosophies around amps, gear, and their application, form the perspective of a working musician. He played a ton of bars and had strong opinions about what worked, what didn’t, and where he was willing to compromise. Those stories resonated with me and even more so when I got to talk to him directly. He “got it”, just at a much much higher level than I. With my direct and pointed questions, I think he realized my appreciation for his advice from a glancingly similar perspective. For once in my guitar life, I had the kind of guidance where I could buy an amp and cab with very predictable results. So when the opportunity to pickup a like new CAD Super Dallas, even though I might have been leaning toward the HXDA, I seized it.

So, I’ve been content for 10 years. Yes, I have a Kemper, but that’s a tool with a different soul. My SuperD is my forever amp and I thank DG, Doug Sewell, and Jeff Taylor for the advice that put me on track. However, what if the DG30 had been around? All of that stuff above would probably be about that amp.

I know he’s talking, but I’m too busy looking at that gold top!

I knew the Super Dallas was a great amp, but that demo sounds SO GOOD. What a fantastic tone!

Back