The Art of the Vinyl

I don't think it was actually used as an album cover but may have been used as box set cover.

I've got Storms book somewhere, i'll have to have a look.

These are two more Storm and or Hipgnosis covers that are cool:

cover_1847101442010.jpg

or_cover.jpg

tumblr_m2tvw1bXeG1qj7ry5o1_1280.jpg

great thread...love the album frames...picked up a few from craft shop...currently on display ...Beatles VI stamped PROMO, Rubber Soul, Zep IV, and recent autographed Never Surrender from Rik Emmett doing clinic in town...love All Floyd...especially Animals...have to once you see Battersea ...way cool, my most "typically American tourist moment ever!!

Here's one of the Hipgnosis books...

for_the_love_of_vinyl_-_the_album_art_of_hipgnosis_-_storm_thorgerson_aubrey_powell_-_312.jpg

Lloyd

I've not got that one. I'm sure the one I have mainly focuses on Floyd.

The ladies by the pool photo was for the 'back catalogue' hence the paintings on their back. They did a few more including other Hipgnosis / Storm album covers. ( http://www.nevermindthebuzzkills.com/2012/05/25/track-253-cover-art-22-nmtbuzzkills-remix/ ) This is one that features most of the covers but was never used.

ST_Mother_Back.jpg

Your's for just £850! Ouch!

I agree about this being a lost art (If you'll excuse the pun!).

Part of the fun of getting a new album was the sleeve art.

It's a safe bet that a certain Blind Faith cover can't be posted here either....

There are several that I think are cool but that aren't really appropriate for the board. The Scorpions stuff; "Lovedrive" with the bubblegum, and "Animal Magnetism". Same for a couple from Blackfoot; "Vertical Smiles", both the studio version and the live one. And "Amorica" from The Black Crowes.

This is such a great thread. It's interesting to see all of the different things people are fans of.

Lloyd

Last edited:
This artwork was done by the late Bill Narum. He did a lot of work with ZZ Top, including other lp covers, tourbooks, posters, shirts, caps, and even stage backdrops. He also worked with lots of other artists.

zz-top-deguello-70.jpg

zz-top-deguello-71.jpg

zz-top-deguello-72.jpg

zz-top-deguello-73.jpg

zz-top-deguello-74.jpg

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited:
Not to veer off thread here, but this poster was also done by Bill Narum (see previous post). A few familiar names on here. This gig was in 1974, in what is now Darrell K. Royal Stadium, where The University of Texas Longhorns play football in Austin. Check out the prices; eight bucks in advance, ten bucks at the door! You could buy tickets all over Texas at places like grocery stores or drug stores or head shops, or you could send in your money with a S.A.S.E., and they'd send your ticket back to you.

zztop_bbq.jpg

Goldtop Lloyd

Back