The Art of the Vinyl

This is one of only a handful of albums that I've ever gotten just because of the cover art. I ended up liking some of what was inside, but it was the art that hooked me.

T Rex "Electric Warrior"

T-Rex-Electric_Warrior.jpg

Goldtop

A lot of us probably already know this, but for those who may not and are interested, much of this art is the work of a company called Hipgnosis. They did tons of work in the music industry over the years, and they're still at it, although not to the extent they once were. There are some great books out on the company and its art. Might be worth a look.

A personal note for you younger folks: I'm not trying to be weird here, but please keep this sort of thing alive. Downloads are one thing, but there is nothing like holding something in your hand, thinking about it, having it to always go back to and remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis

Lloyd (Sorry to the OP rugerpc for the sermon and the hijack.)

Last edited:
I was going to post the "Nothings Shocking" cover...might be across the line here. ;)

I remember that one stopping me in my tracks. :laugh:

Loved album art and the stuff in the liner notes. :biggrin:

wall.jpg

iron-maiden-powerslave.jpg

iron_maiden_somewhere_in_time.jpg

iron-maiden-seventh-son-of-a-seventh-son.jpg

38988.jpg

There's a great Floyd Boxset cover which features 5 naked ladies sat on the edge of a pool with Floyd album covers painted onto their backs. Not graphic but perhaps not suitable for this forum?

A lot of us probably already know this, but for those who may not and are interested, much of this art is the work of a company called Hipgnosis. They did tons of work in the music industry over the years, and they're still at it, although not to the extent they once were. There are some great books out on the company and its art. Might be worth a look.

A personal note for you younger folks: I'm not trying to be weird here, but please keep this sort of thing alive. Downloads are one thing, but there is nothing like holding something in your hand, thinking about it, having it to always go back to and remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis

Lloyd (Sorry to the OP rugerpc for the sermon and the hijack.)

Lloyd - there were several artists and agencies that specialized in album art. Hipgnosis did most of the covers for Pink Floyd. Roger Dean did most of the ones for Yes.

Yes :: Tales From Topographic Oceans
Tales+from+Topographic+Oceans.jpeg

Last edited:
wall.jpg
There's a great Floyd Boxset cover which features 5 naked ladies sat on the edge of a pool with Floyd album covers painted onto their backs. Not graphic but perhaps not suitable for this forum?

Oh yeah! I dig that one. I have it on a poster, and a couple of shotglasses. It was called "Back Catalog", wasn't it?

Lloyd

Lloyd - there were several artists and agencies that specialized in album art. Hipgnosis did most of the covers for Pink Floyd. Roger Dean did most of the ones for Yes.

Yes :: Tales From Topographic Oceans
tales_from_topographic_oceans.jpg

So many great memories here. The Frazetta stuff for Molly Hatchet. Sorayama for Autograph, and one for Aerosmith too. Was it Roger Dean who did some for Nazareth?

Lloyd

Cheap Trick "Rockford"
Cheap Trick "Rockford"

album-rockford.jpg

Goldtop Lloyd
Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited:
This entire thread is like reliving my early teens of sitting in the bedroom with the turntable blasting out our latest vinyl purchases and staring and passing commentat album art, particularly on double LPs when folded out to create a panoramic image (many prog rock albums were great for that....too many to list here).

I believe you are referring to this....not really "R" rated, but if so, mods can delete...

100_6359.jpg

Here are some more Floyd memorabilia...note the tickets to "The Wall" from 2/80:

100_6358.jpg

Roger Waters performed "The pros & cons of Hitchhiking" live, with Eric Clapton as his lead guitarist, back in 1986:

100_6360.jpg

And from both the 1980 and Water's 2010 Live performance of "The Wall":

100_6357.jpg

And, to finish off...in keeping with the theme of this thread...some vintage vinyl...note the original "Yesterday & Today" cover:

100_6361.jpg

It's easy to get lost in my basement for hours!

Last edited:
Back