The AMAZING Walnut Cu 22 semi hollow. Listen here!

Tag

You would think I would be posting about my PS, but this Walnut guitar is off the charts. I mean its GREAT. No REALLY REALLY GREAT!!! I guess it IS the Walnut cap that just makes this sound a little different, and IMO, better. Hard to believe just a cap can make that much difference, but unless the internal structure is different, and no one seems to know that for sure, it has to be the Walnut. Plays like a DREAM, with action better than my PSs. :eek: Anyway, I picked up a beat to death Silver face Twin reverb, the dreaded one with the Master volume, because it flat out KILLS tonally! Under $500!!! As far as I can tell, CBS made improvements on many of Leos designs. I am finding that in many, if not most cases, I like Silverface models more than their blackfaced counterpart. I know, I am odd. :D Anyway, I plugged in and did a single take on this funky Wes Montgomery tune, and I love the tone. Maybe a bit to much verb, but thats another thing, the SF amps seem to have even deeper and better verb than the BF models. The Walnut sounds like a huge jazz box, but with nice bite on the upper end. (Not harsh or thin at ALL!) Check it out, and grab one of these bad boys if there are any left. You will NOT regret it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, sounds great. In that application, sounds lively and full of nice presence. Totally works for Jazz. Nice job! Bet it can pretty nice when it's gritty too. HAVE FUN!

Sounds really good, Tag! :top:

The guitar is resonant and snappy, the amp sounds like a good Twin should, and the playing is fine as wine in the sunshine.

I saw Wes live as a teenager at a small club, maybe 100 people max. It was a very cool experience that I can still picture and hear in my head quite vividly.

Sounds really good, Tag! :top:

The guitar is resonant and snappy, the amp sounds like a good Twin should, and the playing is fine as wine in the sunshine.

I saw Wes live as a teenager at a small club, maybe 100 people max. It was a very cool experience that I can still picture and hear in my head quite vividly.

Thanks guys, and glad to see another SF lover!!!

Les, that is SOME memory to have! WOW! I would LOVE to have seen Wes. He was always so bluesy live. My older sister saw Hendrix, but I am sure there are a lot of guys who got to see him he was so popular. Wes was a small time jazz guy, who like Jimi, died way before his time.

Thanks guys, and glad to see another SF lover!!!

Les, that is SOME memory to have! WOW! I would LOVE to have seen Wes. He was always so bluesy live. My older sister saw Hendrix, but I am sure there are a lot of guys who got to see him he was so popular. Wes was a small time jazz guy, who like Jimi, died way before his time.

When I was in high school, Wes was on A&M, and was getting airplay (at least in Detroit) for his interpretations of pop music. That's how I learned about him. I knew nothing about the kind of stuff he was doing before that. But it was a terrific introduction to jazz for a kid like me.

He did a gig at a famous jazz venue in Detroit, Baker's Keyboard Lounge. Baker's was a small night club where the audience sat at tables, and could order drinks and light food. My girlfriend and I were too young to drink, but we got there early, ordered Cokes and whatever snacks were on the menu, and sat in front. It was amazing, really, to see great artists in such a small venue, but in those days established musicians played very small clubs!

Wes played a big Gibson jazz box, I think they made it for him, and sat on a chair or stool. The club itself had flooring and some paneling or trim in a similar color light wood as the guitar, and there wasn't much stage lighting. So with the low club lighting, the whole place kind of glowed when the music started, at least that's the impression I still have.

Wes was mind-blowingly great.

Back