TGIF

Hah! And thank your lucky stars! Mine is both mouthy and very controlling. ;j

Most folks have an inner monologue. How many of you folks have an inner dialogue? Here's what went on in my brain yesterday...

"I've found that most of my life is observing eating and drinking, folks speaking about marriage or getting married, or folks buying and selling. Maybe even folks looking for a decent deal."

"What? You've narrowed things down to a simple discussion? Truth this is..."

"Can't say I didn't know this already, it just took some time thinking it through..."

"Well, just be humble, and don't blow your own horn too much. Nobody likes a self-tooter."

""Yes, sir."

At least you'd keep yourself amused for a while...

Tell me you don't go the grocery store every so often...

I never go to the grocery store. I hate going to the grocery store. I think I did that once in the ‘70s.

If not for my wife, I’d order food online, from restaurants. Because I hate cooking.

I will make a sandwich, if necessary.

I never go to the grocery store. I hate going to the grocery store. I think I did that once in the ‘70s.

If not for my wife, I’d order food online, from restaurants. Because I hate cooking.

Man, I love grocery shopping. The wife and I go together every Saturday morning. Has to be early though. I hate crowds and lines. Gotta be in and out before 7:30 in the morning. Since she is dealing with chronic pain, I have taken over all of the cooking. I kinda like it. Trying to have fun with it.

I don't mind the grocery store but I absolutely hate going to our Walmart in town.

I'll always feel like I need a shower when I leave there.

I do avoid it though.

Man, I love grocery shopping. The wife and I go together every Saturday morning. Has to be early though. I hate crowds and lines. Gotta be in and out before 7:30 in the morning. Since she is dealing with chronic pain, I have taken over all of the cooking. I kinda like it. Trying to have fun with it.

I’m sorry Your wife has pain issues. That’s no fun at all. Please give her my best regards (not that she has the slightest idea who I am, but you know, she has my empathy and sympathy).

There’s a little gourmet grocery store near me that also has good wines and liquor. I have gone in there to get that stuff. I also once got a bag of Italian breadsticks there. But I don’t go into the actual grocery section.

At Costco, when my wife heads for the grocery department, I generally look at electronics. Division of labor. It’s a thing! ;)

I go to a couple of small local grocery stores, a butcher and a bake shop. I’m less a fan of the big chain grocery stores with 27 aisles and a clothing department.
Man, there's one near my house that has furniture, a sushi bar, an omlette bar, fresh baked craft pizzas, an alcohol bar with beer and wine, a Starbucks, a jewelery store, clothes, and TVs. We call it The Ridiculous Fry's, and if you go there you're not leaving for an hour at least. Fry's is the local name for Kroger.

Edit: almost forgot to include a cooking school you can rent out for children's birthday parties.

Last edited:

You said you lived a sheltered life; this may be an example of just that...

From '95 til '16, I used to take care of my elderly Mom, cooking the evening meal for her after she'd arrive home for the day. Being part of a self-taught cook was copying recipes from books and online. It took me quite a while, but my cooking skills improved over time and Mom began to enjoy my meal presentations.

I think it wasn't that easy at first, but I learned mostly basic techniques that made it possible to create a variety of foods we both enjoyed.

Grocery shopping became a weekly (if not more frequently) task that involved making up a shopping list, trying to consider my budget, and trying to avoid impulse buying simply because it was necessary to save money for other things. I really don't mind going to the store (it's only a few minutes away), but bigger stores like places in the mall, or Walmart, are more intimidating because of the clientele (yeah, some good, some not so much), and because I usually try to avoid large crowds. (Not a fan of the mob mentality).

Your attitude is commendable. I'd agree with you about the crowds and long lines, but being something of NOT a morning person (wake me after 9:15 AM, please), I usually wait until early afternoon for visiting grocery stores when people have already had their morning cuppa coffee. (This mindset goes a long way towards maintaining common decency...don't bother hitting me up with questions before my morning coffee, thanks...:))

Back