Tell me about your 305

I don't have a 305, but I've got a 513. I love all the sounds, and the feel is amazing. I like the slightly longer scale length for the single coil sounds.

I would suggest looking for a 513, unless you don't want the added flexibility (and complexity). I feel like I can cover the 305 tones, and so much more. That said, if you've got a line on a good deal, I get it!

I've had one for about a year now. A 25th Anni model. Basically like a Ferrari version of a strat. It replaced the Fender EJ I had for about three years and I don't miss it at all.

Yeah...I love my 513 (same PUs) so I assume the single coil tones will be identical on a 305 ...go for it. Serious $trat on steroids. Love my 513 .

Yes... My hog-maple top is a nice scoopy tone (highs and lows pronounced) and the swamp ash model is mids, but snappy...does that make any sense???

My prototype 305 is solid alder with a maple neck and fretboard and is one of the brightest guitars in my collection. Compared to my 513 with a maple neck and fretboard, it is no more scooped than that one. It's just brighter while retaining a touch of mid range warmth with more of a Strat like chime. Both are closer to Strat territory than my regular 513's which are more mid range heavy with lots of harmonic bloom. The new Private Stock 515 which has a maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard is brighter than the 513 Maple Neck and is slightly more mid scooped, but not as bright as the 305. And finally, the 513 Swamp Ash I have is as bright as the 305, but without the midrange warmth of the 305. It's more of a twang master like a telecaster. That's just how my collection shakes out.

Someday, I am going to get fresh strings on the bunch, record samples, and do a frequency analysis on all of them. Then, we'll see whether my perceptions of the differences match reality.

Last edited:
Mine has and Alder Body and maple neck with a rosewood fret board.
It is a Big Fat sounding Strat with a bit of PRS thrown in.

since no thread is complete without pics I will start

My 513 is traditional mahogany/maple with mahogany neck/rosewood board, and I would say it's a little mellower on the mids, but not a ton. Of my guitars, it is the most full spectrum.

Now if I could get an SC HB 513 or 408 with piezo without going PS...

Now if I could get an SC HB 513 or 408 with piezo without going PS...
I think I am angling more toward the SC HB 408 with a piezo. There is something wrong about a stoptail 513 which is what the 513 would have to be in an HB. The pick ups are just so dark even with the trem augmenting the highs and lows, I can't imagine that I'd like the mid range augmentation that the stoptail brings. 408's seems like they'd be a better match.

love mine. antique white (w/ a matching headstock) w/rosewood fretboard. it's not a strat sound, and that's why i like it. prs single coils have a sound of their own.

Last edited:
Mine has and Alder Body and maple neck with a rosewood fret board.
It is a Big Fat sounding Strat with a bit of PRS thrown in.

since no thread is complete without pics I will start

Damn that's a beautiful looking 305!

Back